Questions about the embarrassing effects

Options
I have some embarrassing questions related to body issues from working out that I would really like some advice on.

-Sore bottom. I use powder when I know I'm going to do a lot of cardio and also frequently use wet wipes to help stay clean but still break out "down there" often and feel sore. Does anyone have any other solutions that work to help prevent it?

-Irritated belly button. I've been working extra hard lately and my belly button is starting to rash from sweating so much. And yes I always keep it clean but it has been discharging a little. I'm assuming it's from exercising so much anyways, but maybe I should see a doctor..?

I really hope I'm not the only one out there that has suffered these... :)

Replies

• Heather4448
    Heather4448 Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    Are you wearing moisture wicking clothing when you exercise?
  • icemom011
    icemom011 Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    Ugmmm, second the moisture wicking clothes. No cotton. Maybe see a dermatologist. Might be some fungus?
  • guacamole17
    guacamole17 Posts: 109 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    icemom011 wrote: »
    Ugmmm, second the moisture wicking clothes. No cotton. Maybe see a dermatologist. Might be some fungus?

I hate moisture wicking clothes.
    Cotton is King!

Not when you sweat buckets, then chafe against the wet material!

Might ought to see a dermatologist just to rule out anything that needs a script.
  • kellyfeb78
    kellyfeb78 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Sweaty belly button is a common problem especially if u have an innie best thing is to keep it as clean and dry as u can
  • Erfw7471
    Erfw7471 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Sounds like it's possibly yeast/fungus. I lost 120 lbs. & have some excess skin so this happens to me too, mostly under breasts & belly button. Doc told me to use over the counter anti-fungal cream & then powder, clears it up every time.
  • jpaulie
    jpaulie Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    you can also use deodorant, if it keeps your underarms dry.... you can use anywhere
  • SLLeask
    SLLeask Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    jpaulie wrote: »
    you can also use deodorant, if it keeps your underarms dry.... you can use anywhere

No, no, no, you really, really can't!!!!!

I wouldn't recommend wet wipes, they can cause a rash in themselves and they don't dry off that well which can cause chaffing. Personally, cotton knickers and a shower after exercise and drying well sorts me out. If you are sensitive down there, use one of the special shower gels for that region rather than your usual one which may cause itching.
  • Sashslay
    Sashslay Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    kellyfeb78 wrote: »
    Sweaty belly button is a common problem especially if u have an innie best thing is to keep it as clean and dry as u can
    maxhan231 wrote: »
    Apply the cream that they use on babies for diaper rash to those areas. Your rashes will clear up quickly

Preach! Both of these worked for me! Especially the cream! I find if I sweat anywhere that isn't used to sweating, eve my face, I break out in rashes. It's worth getting it checked out!
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    My travel doctor recommend one of the OTC fungal creams like Canesten when I was going to Singapore and India.
    All the heat, humidity, and walking really was a breeding ground for fungal infections- Canesten worked, and worked fast.

Cheers, h.
  • Amyfinch0
    Amyfinch0 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Use the powder in your belly button too, that works for me. With regard to the chaffing and breakouts try some tea tree/anti-fungal shower gels which are marketed toward problems like jock itch. I purchased mine off Amazon.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Try applying a thin coat of diaper rash ointment in those areas 1st thing in morn and after shower if you shower later. It's cheaper to buy in baby section than first aid section. Lotrimin OTCcream might help too.
  • CTcutie
    CTcutie Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    Are you showering immediately after working out? I used to run errands afterward, had about a 30 minute drive, then would start cooking dinner, etc. but when I starting showering at the gym as ASAP the issue never recurred (one itchy underarm, lol!). The wicking gear is better, IMO, but it still stays wet sometimes... kind of like wearing a wet bathing suit around!

The wet wipes aren't so great, and some OTC anti-itch creams can make a fungal infection worse (I think dr said regular Benedryl does NOT work, so its best to use the ones for fungus or see a doctor :-(

Also- for belly button, you can gently use a cotton ball to dry it our after a shower and/or use a hair dryer on LOW. You will need to clean and dry the affected areas before you apply more cream, too.
  • aeloine
    aeloine Posts: 2,163 Member
    Options
    Belly button tip: dip a q-tip into rubbing alcohol and clean it out. It burns the first time or two but it dries It out and disinfects it.
  • SundropEclipse
    SundropEclipse Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I was having a lot of issues with chafing. I started applying Herbacin Kamille hand lotion to chafe zones before exercising and haven't had any chafing since. (For what it's worth, I don't use moisture wicking clothes as I can't stand the feel of it.)

As for the belly button I used to have the same problem. I find the best solution is to give it a spray in the shower and dry it with a gentle wipe of a q-tip or cotton swab. Anything else usually causes the problem to worsen.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    CTcutie wrote: »
    Are you showering immediately after working out? I used to run errands afterward, had about a 30 minute drive, then would start cooking dinner, etc. but when I starting showering at the gym as ASAP the issue never recurred (one itchy underarm, lol!). The wicking gear is better, IMO, but it still stays wet sometimes... kind of like wearing a wet bathing suit around!

The wet wipes aren't so great, and some OTC anti-itch creams can make a fungal infection worse (I think dr said regular Benedryl does NOT work, so its best to use the ones for fungus or see a doctor :-(

Also- for belly button, you can gently use a cotton ball to dry it our after a shower and/or use a hair dryer on LOW. You will need to clean and dry the affected areas before you apply more cream, too.

Ya, I don't sweat much in a well air conditioned gym, but do sweat when it's 80 plus degrees out and I'm gardening or hiking or whatever. I shower immediately after I get back inside and don't have the issues in the OP.

I wear 100% cotton and don't use powder or wipes.

Did powder get reformulated after the cancer lawsuit? https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/2017/05/05/johnson-johnson-talc-verdict/101320524/#
  • Old_Cat_Lady
    Old_Cat_Lady Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    Wet wipes with aloe give me a rash. I am allergic to them. Desitin baby cream cleared it up.
  • scarlett_k
    scarlett_k Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    I've had these issues intermittently and just clean the affected areas gently and dry carefully. You can try some wound powder or iodine powder to help keep it dry and keep any infection out. Normal talcum powder is good to help prevent it but not so great at treating it.
  • ashbabe25
    ashbabe25 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Anti monkey butt powder. Don't laugh. It's good stuff.