How do you motivate yourself to work out when you're too tired and you have little time?

Options
13»

Replies

• Penthesilea514
    Penthesilea514 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    Learning how to wisely spend calories, finding filling foods, and being consistent took a while for me. It was so surprising to learn that Greek yogurt and berries kept me fuller longer than a donut, even though calorically they were close (~200 kcal). I learned protein was super important to me feeling full- others find fat filling, others like volume (veggies that are low cal but fill your stomach), and there are many other options out there- you need to experiment and find what works for you, but ultimately you need to consume fewer calories (no matter how you approach that) than you burn.

But number 1: you have to commit to changing. I like the oxygen mask analogy, and to keep it simple. Work on YOU first, focus on nutrition and other ways to be full on your calories. Yes, it requires changes to your diet.

I understand worrying about your husband- many people here struggle with weight with their SO as well. But as many people said, until you realize that you want it badly enough to make the changes, it will be so much harder to succeed without internal motivation. And we, random internet people, can't make you motivated- just like you can't make your husband motivated if he doesn't want to. My DH ignored all my attempts- until he saw me losing weight and getting fitter. Now, without me bugging him, he has lost 30lbs. BE the role model in your family and others may see the light too.

I wish you all the best. Good luck.
  • Penthesilea514
    Penthesilea514 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    CoachJen71 wrote: »
    My DH ignored all my attempts- until he saw me losing weight and getting fitter. Now, without me bugging him, he has lost 30lbs.

It was like that in our home, too. Hubby got a Fitbit after I did, and one day surprised the heck outta me when he joined MFP. We have lost over 175lbs together since then!

That's amazing! Congratulations! :smiley:
  • CoachJen71
    CoachJen71 Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    CoachJen71 wrote: »
    My DH ignored all my attempts- until he saw me losing weight and getting fitter. Now, without me bugging him, he has lost 30lbs.

It was like that in our home, too. Hubby got a Fitbit after I did, and one day surprised the heck outta me when he joined MFP. We have lost over 175lbs together since then!

That's amazing! Congratulations! :smiley:

Thanks! :)
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    Just keep your NEAT up. Walk. Get over the heat and go for that hike. I admit it doesn't sound like you have much time, and if you hate running I'm not going to suggest that. Your only option is to do the things you like, when you can do them. And if that means it's not super consistent or "fitnessy", that's fine. Just don't be sedentary. Move yo self.
  • ggeise14
    ggeise14 Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    To get more movement in, make part of your play-time with your kids about movement. Play music that everyone can dance around to, include your kids. I know you don't want them bouncing around after bath time right before bed, but what about after supper at the beginning of your play time. Even if they are little, start their healthy lifestyles early and you will all benefit from it.
  • MJDuley
    MJDuley Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    vmsolko wrote: »
    quick question on the calorie goal: is 1300-1400 at a goal of losing 2 lbs per week?
    If so, maybe change it to a 1 lb or even 0.5 lb per week loss goal. That way you will adjust to counting calories itself as well as helping your stomach adjust to normal portions.

I've been toying around with it a bit, so that goal isn't set in stone at this point. I'm wanting to see how I do for a week, how feasible it is, then tinker with it if need be. I don't want to set the goal too easy to where I'm not accomplishing anything or pushing myself, but I also don't want it to be so hard that I give up. So right now it's a work in progress.
  • MJDuley
    Options
    cs2thecox wrote: »
    - When you drive to other schools, can you leave the bus and go for a walk/hike/use the school's gym or whatever while you wait? If you want it badly enough, you could take a set of dumbbells and some resistance bands in the bus with you, and find the nearest park and crack on.

I have no time during my route for exercise, only on field trips. Using their gyms isn't an option due to liability issues. Our district just reiterated this yesterday in fact, that we are not allowed to do anything that could cause injury to ourselves (because now two people would have to come replace me; one to take over driving the bus and the other to drive them to my location). So if we take the kids ice skating, we are not allowed to skate with them. But I DO like the idea of taking weights with me. I use to have wrist and ankle weights to use while walking. I think it's time to get another set. I could easily stash those in the under storage of my bus and use them, as long as I don't get crazy and break out 100 pound weights, lol. Obviously we're not required to sit in a padded room, but they want us to use common sense.

I love all the other suggestions!
  • MJDuley
    Options
    I've been trying hard to track everything I eat the past few days and it's been eye-opening. You really don't realize how much junk you eat until you write it all down. Although I came in under my calorie goal yesterday, I still ate a lot of junk and I'm not doing so hot today. Clearly, I need to work harder at this.

I've also noticed that even when I do things like housework, I move pretty slow. Not because I hurt or anything like that, but because I just feel like I have no energy. Today while doing some housework I forced myself to move more quickly. Not speed racing or anything like that, but just picking up the pace more. I noticed I actually felt MORE energized! So that's a new goal for me as well, to just move a little faster.

My employer also offers a wellness program online and through an app to help track things like what you eat, activity level, etc. Just small, simple changes such as walk 100 extra steps today or eat one more serving of vegetables than you usually do. The goal is to gradually do a little better each day until healthy choices are an ingrained habit. So I'm signed up for that (it doesn't hurt that my employer will pay up to $750 for completing all the requirements of the program; talk about incentive!).

My health insurance also offers a similar program in which you can earn rewards points to cash in on health-related rewards, such as exercise equipment, gardening equipment, or that you can spend for a chance to win free stuff. I was on it a few years ago and just retook the wellness survey to see where I stand now and what goals I can work on to improve my health. I think the incentives these two programs offer will help me stay on track.
  • Svanel
    Svanel Posts: 6,255 Member
    Options
    This isn't meant to be rude, mean, etc etc. But it may come off that way. It really boils down to how badly you want to lose weight. You mentioned wanting to see your kids grow up, and being there for them, being healthy, etc etc. If you want all those things, then you gotta MAKE it work. What's that saying? If you want it bad enough, you'll find a way. If not, then you'll find an excuse.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,526 Member
    Options
    If weight loss is the deal, you DON'T have to exercise. You just make sure you don't over consume.

If health is your goal as well, then exercise can be just finding ways to be physical in your home. IMO, 4 hours is PLENTY of time to do 10 minutes here and there for a total of 30 minutes. And suspensions systems take up no room and give you plenty of exercises to do.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Ixam17
    Ixam17 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    As we say in French bon courage, you are doing good
  • MJDuley
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Svanel wrote: »
    This isn't meant to be rude, mean, etc etc. But it may come off that way. It really boils down to how badly you want to lose weight. You mentioned wanting to see your kids grow up, and being there for them, being healthy, etc etc. If you want all those things, then you gotta MAKE it work. What's that saying? If you want it bad enough, you'll find a way. If not, then you'll find an excuse.

I didn't take it as rude at all. You are 100% correct! Even I said in my original post that as I read everything I wrote, it all looks like excuses! They are challenges for me, but not insurmountable ones and I just need to put in the effort to get past them if I really want it bad enough.

ninerbuff wrote: »
    If weight loss is the deal, you DON'T have to exercise. You just make sure you don't over consume.

If health is your goal as well, then exercise can be just finding ways to be physical in your home. IMO, 4 hours is PLENTY of time to do 10 minutes here and there for a total of 30 minutes. And suspensions systems take up no room and give you plenty of exercises to do.

I do want to improve my overall health, not just lose weight. I'm tired of having no stamina and no energy and I want to improve my chances of living a long, healthy, active life. I used to exercise when I was younger (aerobics and weightlifting) and I felt so much better and had so much more energy, even when all 3 of my adult kids were little. I want to be able to do things with my youngest two kids that I was able to do with the oldest three, but find I have so much less energy now. I know some of that is just age-related, but most of it is just due to the fact that I'm badly out of shape. I want to change that.
  • clicketykeys
    clicketykeys Posts: 6,568 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »

MJDuley wrote: »
    I do want to improve my overall health, not just lose weight. I'm tired of having no stamina and no energy and I want to improve my chances of living a long, healthy, active life. I used to exercise when I was younger (aerobics and weightlifting) and I felt so much better and had so much more energy, even when all 3 of my adult kids were little. I want to be able to do things with my youngest two kids that I was able to do with the oldest three, but find I have so much less energy now. I know some of that is just age-related, but most of it is just due to the fact that I'm badly out of shape. I want to change that.

There's a significant amount of research that shows that simply losing weight WILL improve your overall health. Additionally, it takes less stamina/energy to move around when you have less of you to move! I would strongly suggest that your first step be tracking your calories diligently and looking for ways to make gentle, sustainable reductions. By the time you've gotten the hang of that, temperatures will likely have dropped at least a little!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,526 Member
    Options
    MJDuley wrote: »
    Then you need to MAKE time to workout come hell or high water. As I've mentioned, lots of people who work full time jobs with kids do it. If your kids are young, the majority of gyms have daycare for 2 hours and that's plenty of time to get something done and you don't have to worry about the kids. The majority of my clients are on 30 minute sessions and many of them bring their kids in and work out an hour (30 minutes of cardio on their own). It can be done IF you choose to do it.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• runningforthetrain
    runningforthetrain Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    There are so many great suggestions here. Personally, I would concentrate on the food, logging, and calorie deficit. I have been at this 3 years; I found that exercising almost always increased my hunger level to beyond the calories burned. I wasn't able to lose weight, until I found the level of activity that made eating lower cals work. Adding more fiber-- like kellog's bran buds & adding more protein helps immensely. You have got to cut out the soda. I recommend adding soda water to the pepsi-- start cutting the soda down to half to start. Because soda is addicting- you probably need to taper. And like @clicketykeys and another posted-- weight loss in and of itself will give you more energy. Best wishes to you and your family. You have made a real positive step by posting your struggles here!
  • MJDuley
    Options
    I've been slowly weaning myself off the soda. I tried to go cold turkey but ended up craving it even more. I'm finding that cutting down is working better. It's always hardest for me in the summer months when it's so hot. It will get easier as the weather cools off.

I've been using hand weights in my bedroom. There's not a lot of space, which is why I'm mostly just doing bicep curls and simple lunges with them, but I don't like using the weights around my kids. My youngest daughter got hold of one a couple of years ago and dropped it on her toe. We thought she'd broken it, but luckily she just smashed up the nail pretty good. I try to keep the weights where they can't get to them.
  • JnineGains
    JnineGains Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    If you really want results try your best to make time for a workout, once you start going consistently you will have way more energy!
  • bikecheryl
    bikecheryl Posts: 1,432 Member
    Options
    I look at the scale.
  • AMD0828
    AMD0828 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I have 2 kids under 4 and full time job too - don't have the extra hurdle of school in there too but i can relate to you not wanting to get up any earlier and how night time is crazy. I started with the 30 day shred videos at night after I got the kids down its only 20 minutes. my husband would clean up from dinner and pack lunches for the next day and I'd be done, then a night he wanted to work out we'd switch. You think you are tired at 8/8:30 at night but once you get started you won't feel as tired. Another option was to meal prep on weekends so putting dinner together was easy and I could get a workout in while the kids and husband were eating. just some ideas that worked for me!!