Fish sauce?

Options
lorrpb
lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
I've been trying to increase my pantry for Asian flavors. I often see "fish sauce" in Asian recipes. What the heck is it and please tell me why it is not disgusting. I love most seafood, but fish sauce sounds awful!

Replies

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    It is kind of disgusting, but adds great flavor in small amounts. I wouldn't give mine up.

http://tablematters.com/2013/03/14/something-fishy/

http://www.seriouseats.com/2016/10/what-to-do-with-fish-sauce-recipes.html
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    It's totally gross on its own, and utterly delicious in small amounts in recipes and dishes. I love it. As someone say above - don't stick your nose in it and whiff.
  • sympha01
    sympha01 Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    Also bear in mind that various condiments based on fermented fish have been very common in many cultures throughout history, including the West. Worcestershire sauce (original recipe) is a kind of fish sauce. The ancient Romans used a fish sauce called "garum."

http://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt/2013/10/26/240237774/fish-sauce-an-ancient-roman-condiment-rises-again
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Indeed, disgusting to smell or drink but it disappears into dishes by adding a salty/umami flavor. Sort of like melting anchovies into Italian dishes. The fish flavor pretty much disappears leaving behind a depth of flavor and saltiness. I've used it not only in Asian dishes but other times I want some salty umami, for example in a roasted red pepper "bolognese." Here's the recipe for that: https://www.justapinch.com/recipes/sauce-spread/other-sauce-spread/roasted-red-pepper-bolognese-lo-no-tomato.html?r=1 The recipe shows using miso but when I don't have that, I reach for the nam pla (fish sauce) for a similar flavor boost.
  • lorrpb
    Options
    Thank you for the insights! I will try it for sure.
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    We used to use it in Pad Thai. Used to use it, that is, until one day some of it spilled all over the inside of our fridge. After quite some effort cleaning it up, nearly retching the whole time, any tolerance I had for it is gone.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    A little goes a long way...it's a key ingredient in a lot of Vietnamese dishes.
  • jayemes
    jayemes Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Great now I have to go make pad thai. I have to stop coming into the food forum.....
  • TheSunAndTheRainfall
    Options
    It's great for adding extra depth of flavour to a stir fry. A quick splash in certain Asian soups is yummy too.

Beware, though, don't ever spill it. EVER.
  • JetJaguar
    JetJaguar Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    Beware, though, don't ever spill it. EVER.

Also, it's why I wear gloves when I make kimchi.
  • aliciag20
    aliciag20 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Love fish sauce. I will buy chicken in bulk and divide it into freezer bags with various marinades, 1/2 fish sauce, 1/2 water is a great marinade. If you don't water it down, it will be too salty.
  • julk_1212
    julk_1212 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    It's great in curry!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,669 Member
    Options
    It's a MUST in my house. Sometimes I'll just cut up a tomato and dip it in fish sauce for a snack.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    Hm...I don't understand why you think it'd be gross? It's a pretty common ingredient in many asian dishes and what gives everything such awesome flavor.
  • orangegato
    orangegato Posts: 6,570 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    It's a MUST in my house. Sometimes I'll just cut up a tomato and dip it in fish sauce for a snack.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

Sorry @ninerbuff just have to ask...are you Filipino? My mom is and I know her love for patis is quite strong as yours obviously is. ;)
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,702 Member
    Options
    It's essentially anchovy extract and salt. So if you like anchovy you will like fish sauce. I have a girlfriend who hacks ceasar dressing by adding fish sauce to garlicky mayonnaise.

The more expensive brands will be less fishy and more mellow. Red Boat from Phu Quoc is a little too mellow for my taste but I understand it's appeal. Tiparos from Thailand is considered the best of the cheap widely available brands. Fishier than Red Boat but still relatively mellow.

Try Vietnamese caramel/fish sauce as an alternative to buffalo sauce for coating chicken wings.
    https://thefoodist.uk/2014/12/16/fish-sauce-chicken-wings/
  • Crafty_camper123
    Crafty_camper123 Posts: 1,440 Member
    Options
    When I first started making my own chinese food, I couldn't figure out why it didn't quite taste the same as the chinese resturaunts. I did some digging, and saw many recipes required fish sauce. When I bought it, and began adding it to my recipes I realized it was the thing that was missing. It was the kety ingredient that made it taste more like what I would find in a resturaunt. So go buy some. You will not be dissapointed. It does not make your food taste like fermented fish.
  • lorrpb
    Options
    This is a old thread, but I did by the sauce and have used it a few times. I guess I liked the result, but it's been awhile since I used it. I just think of it as Asian Worcestershire sauce, which I am not afraid to use when cooking on the fly.
  • TheSunAndTheRainfall
    Options
    Just don't smash a bottle of the stuff on the kitchen floor. Despite vigorous scrubbing, the smell was there for DAYS....
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    Options
    It's easiest to think of it as a seasoning agent to start, like soy sauce or worcestershire. When used in relatively small quantities it adds a beautiful savory note to any stew, soup, or stir fry (even non-asian dishes, it works well in any meaty dish).

More advanced users can use it mixed with sugar, soy, and vinegar (or peanut butter) to make a dipping a sauce for summer/spring rolls or satays.