NEED OPINIONS ON BEST MULTIVITAMIN FOR WOMEN IN THE AGE 30 RANGE

Options
I have taken a specific Brand of Multivitamin for some time but i am not too thrilled. I am looking for opinions on what may be the best fit for me, 30 year old female. Looking for overall Multi Vitamin with possibly an energy booster as well.

Thank you in advance!

Replies

• Old_Cat_Lady
    Old_Cat_Lady Posts: 1,193 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    A multivitamin will not give you more energy. Good food will.
    Be warned of products that promise energy, they may contain dangerous levels of caffeine or unregulated herbs. Have you ever drunk coffee or tea?
  • Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,344 Member
    Options
    I like life force multi's but they don't have anything added to boost your energy. Sleep and good nutrition is best for that.
  • ccruz985
    ccruz985 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    I've actually read that prenatal vitamins are great even when you're not pregnant. I take a combination of vitamins. One a Day Women's, Andrew Lessman's Calcium with Magnesium, Iron Plus, and Healthy Skin and Nails.
  • MichelleSilverleaf
    MichelleSilverleaf Posts: 2,028 Member
    Options
    Unless your doctor's advised you that you need to take a multivitamin or some other supplement, there isn't really a reason to take one. Most just make expensive pee anyway.
  • Glistel
    Glistel Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Many many studies have been done and multivitamins are basically pointless. Unless you have a deficiency in something then they do almost nothing for you. See a doctor and have tests ran to see if you need to supplement if you want. Otherwise multivitamins are a waste of money as you most likely don't need most of what it has to offer other than making your pee expensive lol
  • lalepepper
    lalepepper Posts: 447 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    It's ok to take a multi if your body needs it. The only way to know if you have a deficiency is with testing. I take a multi to keep up my iron, magnesium, B vitamins and calcium/Vit D as recommended by my MD based on my baseline levels and years of ongoing annual blood tests and seeing improvement in my levels with a multi.

Before planning on getting pregnant, I found the GNC Women's Ultra Mega One Daily and was taking that. They often have buy one get one deals. I didn't want to have to take multiple per day and they have good test results for having actual amounts listed on label. Now I take Naturmade Prenatal w/DHA and will until I am not planning to get pregnant.

Many, many people do not need to take vitamins. It is worth getting some baseline blood testing and talking w/your doctor about it before taking any. Most insurances will cover testing if ordered by a physician. There are both water soluble (like vitamin C) and fat soluble vitamins (like vitamin A). Extra water soluble vitamins get flushed out w/urine. Taking too much fat soluble vitamins can result in building up to higher levels than is safe and can cause problems. Too much of certain minerals like iron can cause constipation. Too much calcium without enough vitamin D is a waste as vitamin D helps the body absorb calcium. As they say, don't try to fix it if it ain't broke!

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    If you are still in childbearing age, take a pregnancy multi or add Folic Acid. It prevents a birth defect. Some women are low in iron. But don't take extra if your iron is fine.
  • Old_Cat_Lady
    Old_Cat_Lady Posts: 1,193 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    My insurance does not pay for complete vitamin blood work unless it is medically necessary. I have to have symptoms of something like fatigue.
    Therefore I take a 4 cent a day multivitamin. Really expensive pee.