Starting Keto Diet

Options
Ive been struggling with my weight all my life. I lost over 30 pounds 2 years ago and as of August 2016 i already gained 18 pounds. My causin recomended a keto diet. She has lost almost 40 pounds in 4 months.

Do you guys have any idea or recomendations, ill take any help i can get.

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Find a diet you feel you could happily stick to forever, but because there is no perfect diet that fixes everything - accept that you'll still have to say "no" to yourself from time to time, even after you've found your most optimal diet.

Or just eat food you like, but log it and hit your calorie goal every day. This means you have to prioritize. We all have to.
  • megsybeth
    megsybeth Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Keto is probably easier for me because I have celiac and after six years gluten free it really changed my attitude to grains. Most "gluten free" subs are an extra 200 calories and really no nutrition. And I know so many people with corn and other reactions that I just think of grains as potentially making me sick.

I simply can't count calories and I wind up starving, cheating or crashing from eating carbs. So for me, keto is the only diet I've been able to do. I think it's sustainable, unlike some people say. Once I am maintaining I will add back in more fruit and sweeter veggies. But in my mind things like rice, bread, pasta are not real food any more than an icecream sundae. I just don't benefit from them. Sure, I might want chicken tiki masala with rice on occasion, and eat it, and carb binge, and feel sick and bloated. And then be fine with low carb.
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    Hello and welcome! I suggest you check out the main low carber daily forum group here in MFP. It's where most of us ketophiles tend to hang out:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/discussions/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group
  • Dancermommd
    Dancermommd Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I disagree with the protein being hard to digest. It is one of the easiest things to digest. Even babies can do it.
  • mcummings1003
    mcummings1003 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi! My name is Michelle. I'm looking for help or advice about eating 20 carbs a day. How much protein, fat, and calories should i eat per day? Also, is walking 1 mile per day ok with doing LC? Any suggestions are welcome, thanks.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Hi! My name is Michelle. I'm looking for help or advice about eating 20 carbs a day. How much protein, fat, and calories should i eat per day? Also, is walking 1 mile per day ok with doing LC? Any suggestions are welcome, thanks.

You set your calories first - MFP has given you a calorie goal, but make sure you picked the weekly weight loss goal
    that is closest to 1% of your total body weight, and an activity level that is not too far from reality.

Then you have to track your food intake correctly, this takes some common sense but it's really very simple and logical - most of all, it takes honesty and patience. You don't have to track macros, but if you do, you can go by MFP's default, either just as a start, or all the way. What's important for weight loss, is that you hit your calorie goal daily, and for real. That is what makes you lose weight. How you choose to eat, is up to preference.

You don't have to exercise to lose weight. But you can indeed exercise while eating low carb. You should never pick a diet that makes it difficult or dangerous to exercise. Moderate exercise is good for you. If 1 mile feels good and attainable, stick to that for a while.
  • StephenAshRTG
    StephenAshRTG Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Ive been struggling with my weight all my life. I lost over 30 pounds 2 years ago and as of August 2016 i already gained 18 pounds. My causin recomended a keto diet. She has lost almost 40 pounds in 4 months.

KETO is something to transition to after you have an understanding of Calories/Macros. I wouldn't recommend it for a "diet" as you will most likely not be able to continue this long term (in my opinion)

1. Do you know how many calories you need per day?
    2. Do you know what macro splits work for you?
    3. Are you tracking your food?

• nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options

KETO is something to transition to after you have an understanding of Calories/Macros. I wouldn't recommend it for a "diet" as you will most likely not be able to continue this long term (in my opinion)

1. Do you know how many calories you need per day?
    2. Do you know what macro splits work for you?
    3. Are you tracking your food?

Keto can be a long term diet. If it makes you feel better, many choose to stick with it beyond easier (for many) weight loss.
  • StephenAshRTG
    StephenAshRTG Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

Keto can be a long term diet. If it makes you feel better, many choose to stick with it beyond easier (for many) weight loss.[/quote]

I didn't say it could not be long term, I just referred to it not being ideal for a "diet". If you are unable to loose weight through conventional dietary restriction then my personal recommendation would not be KETO. Just my opinion, there is no right and wrong.