Muscle Relxers and Exercise

Options
I’m not even sure this is the right topic area to place to put this in, but I was wondering if anyone has had to take any muscle relaxers and they were effective for tight muscles, but also didn’t completely drain you to the point that it was difficult to exercise.

I have had masseuse, acupuncturist, and physical therapists tell me that I just have “naturally tight muscles”, probably from my fibromyalgia they told me. I get work done to them and two days later they are back to being tight. I stretch often and even the PT exercises didn’t help.

I have spoken to my pain management doctor, but all she does is throw Lyrica prescriptions at me. Everything in her office has a Lyrica logo on it so it’s not a shocker why she does it. She had me on that and tramadol for fibromyalgia. I ended up going from 2 Lyrica a day to one and two tramadol a day to none on my won (she knows) as it was making me so drowsy I just couldn’t stay awake during anything. My family doctor said he could try a different medication, but I wanted to get other’s people’s take on their experiences.

So basically like the subject suggests if anyone has recommendations please let me know and I can research whatever it is that helped you. The tight muscles are an issue and it makes it difficult to really get a good workout in

Replies

• ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    When I take a muscle relaxer I can pretty much count on being knocked dafuq out, but I'm not taking them for tight muscle maintenance; they were for an acute issue.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    i don't know if this helps with the specific challenge you have, but as a lifter with r.a. whose body always seems to be a little bit weird from day to day [and who got told by a rude massage therapist that her muscles were 'very dry'], i am very fond of creatine monohydrate.

it does not relax anything, just to be clear. but if your body responds to it, it supplements your existing store of atp molecules, which lurk in the muscle tissue until they're called for. and atp molecules need to bond with water in order to store themselves. basically, i find creatine sucks water into my muscles, which just doesn't happen to the same extent without the stuff.

so the end result for me is much plumper, plushier-feeling muscles which move A LOT more comfortably than pre-creatine. i have less friction, less restriction, and less of that horrible gritty corduroy crepitation thing as a band of muscle has to cross over a bony landmark.

you could look into that if it's not contra-indicated by your existing condition and meds that you're taking for it.
  • Mezzie1024
    Mezzie1024 Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    There is no way I would exercise while on a muscle relaxer. I have had to take one occasionally, though. My limbs feel like overcooked spaghetti on it. As far as tight muscles go, stretching often is a good start, but how and what you stretch is pretty important. What is your routine? Do you do any rolling? I find yoga 3-4 times a week and rolling everything out (painful, but awesome) about once a week keeps my muscles from getting too tight. Even meditation helps, though I am far from consistent with that.

I take Cymbalta for Fibro with good results. I only rarely take a Tramadol. Just throwing it out there since you didn't sound too pleased with Lyrica. There really aren't that many options for us.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    It just depends on how your body responds to a specific med. I ccassionalky take methacarbonal and I can still exercise. I've never experienced that massage etc keeps me as relaxed for days as I am right after the appt. Of course you will tighten up again. Light activity, like walking, a variety of workouts (weights, swimming) and foam rolling and local heat work together to keep me reasonably functional.

You might need a longer or different type of warmup before your workout. I like to walk a couple miles before doing anything in the morning. It takes 10-20 min into a workout to feel everything is reasonably loose and working at its best.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Options
    When I had them, it was better to be taken at night. During the day would result in dry mouth and tiredness.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    I had to take muscle relaxers for awhile...I just took them at night. Those things knocked me on my butt...no way I was going to be exercising.
  • jacquih2981
    jacquih2981 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I take Tramadol now and then but there is no way I would do a work out whilst taking them as the risk of hurting myself is too high. That said I do still exercise but will only do walking as the chances of causing damage is pretty low
  • watts6151
    watts6151 Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    For me personally diazepam works well
    For tight muscles or spasms.
  • happyauntie2015
    happyauntie2015 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I have fibromyalgia as well. Lyrica and gabapentin gave me migraines and cymbalta didn't do a darn thing. I can't do foam rolling because it's too painful for me. I have found gentle yoga has helped me the most. I still have to use muscle relaxers and my tramadol but never have I taken them while working out. If I do yoga daily I only need the medication at night instead of 3x a day thankfully. I hope you find what works for you
  • tgcakef
    tgcakef Posts: 111 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I am on muscle relaxants almost all the time, and I am able to exercise. However, this really depends on how you react to them. I've not been on Lyrica, but tramadol doesn't make me sleepy, and I'm able to function on it. Cyclobenzaprine (Flexeril) made me tired as hell, so I need a nap but I could still function some on it. Diazepam doesn't make me sleepy, and only relaxes my muscles a bit.

I use carisoprodol (Soma). It works well to relax my muscles, and to calm my muscle spasms. When I first started taking it, I was tired, and some times needed a nap, but my body got used to that. I usually take it 1-3 times a day. I don't need naps, and can function fine.

That said, I have a fairly large tolerance towards drowsiness; most medications that cause drowsiness don't tend to drain me or make me sleepy.

Basically, it all depends on what you can tolerate. Try different medications, if your doctor is willing.
  • drgnfyre
    drgnfyre Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I found that taking magnesium supplements help with my tight muscles. They work better for me than the tramadol sometimes.
  • amandajbaxter
    amandajbaxter Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I think there's pretty good evidence for magnesium as a supplement. (BTW - Here's a great website where you can find really good solid info on anything medical. I'd suggest you do one of their online tutorials so you can find what you want)

Another thing, I've had muscles spasms in my back for years and the doc finally prescribed Norflex. When I went to the chemist he said that more doctors should be prescribing this i.e. it works and doesn't make people groggy.

I don't think you even need a prescription!

Good luck.
  • Sheisinlove109
    Sheisinlove109 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Are you able to get a second opinion?
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,545 Member
    Options
    Not sure where you're from but it might be worth getting a few additional tests done. Many people with Fibro are actually also deficient in Vitamin B12 or benefit from getting B12 injections, and those people are often low in calcium and magnesium as well, which can both lead to extremely tight muscles. The problem with the latter two blood tests though is that way less than 1% of all Mg and Ca are stored in blood. The rest is stored in bones and muscles. Once the blood levels go down they are replenished from the bone and muscle stores, leaving you deficient without you noticing at first apart from very tight muscles.
  • Nysportsred
    Nysportsred Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    yirara wrote: »
    Not sure where you're from but it might be worth getting a few additional tests done. Many people with Fibro are actually also deficient in Vitamin B12 or benefit from getting B12 injections, and those people are often low in calcium and magnesium as well, which can both lead to extremely tight muscles. The problem with the latter two blood tests though is that way less than 1% of all Mg and Ca are stored in blood. The rest is stored in bones and muscles. Once the blood levels go down they are replenished from the bone and muscle stores, leaving you deficient without you noticing at first apart from very tight muscles.

Yes, they do these tests every 6 months and everything comes back good.
    sunsweet77 wrote: »
    Are you able to get a second opinion?

With my insurance and the big watch/new laws on prescription meds I can go to get a second opinion, but since I am taking medications from my current doctor in order to take anything prescribed by a new doctor that is categorized as the same type of med I'd have to come completely off the meds I am on now from my current doctor before taking anything new. Certain types of meds they only allow one doctor to prescribe them so if one doctor is giving me painkillers or muscle relaxers I'd have to be done with them and then start a new with the second doctor. To wean off the meds takes months apparently and by then the referral (this is how smart the insurance company is) expires and then I apply for a new one. This also takes months. I am looking at 6-8 months before I could even go see the second guy. Then if he/she isn't good and I have to go back to first doctor I go through this entire process again.

I think there's pretty good evidence for magnesium as a supplement. (BTW - Here's a great website where you can find really good solid info on anything medical. I'd suggest you do one of their online tutorials so you can find what you want)

Another thing, I've had muscles spasms in my back for years and the doc finally prescribed Norflex. When I went to the chemist he said that more doctors should be prescribing this i.e. it works and doesn't make people groggy.

I don't think you even need a prescription!

Good luck.

what is the site?
  • erika_307
    erika_307 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Have you looked into CBD?
  • Nysportsred
    Nysportsred Posts: 222 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    erika_307 wrote: »
    Have you looked into CBD?

Started taking cbd capsules a month ago. So far not really much of a difference (extra strength- charlotte's web to be exact).