I'm watching the documentary Food Matters....

Options
And all I have to say is wow :noway:

I may actually go organic for fruits and vegetables and keep them raw (the majority). I never thought I would say that...I usually only buy certain things organic (carrots, peaches, apples).

I recommend the documentary (netflix). I'm not going radical after seeing this haha but it is eye-opening.

One of the main points that make sense is that the fruits/veggies we consume most likely contain around 40% LESS vitamins than there should be due to soil/pesticides/etc. Food matters also talks about the connection of food & human disease, how much we need those vitamins and most likely need to supplement for them.

P.S. - Not trying to start any type of organic/non-organic debate haha...just sharing something interesting.

Replies

• Kelly_Wilson1990
    Kelly_Wilson1990 Posts: 3,245 Member
    Options
    I have this coming from Netflix tomorrow. I cannot wait to watch it.
  • Namaste1983
    Namaste1983 Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    Loved it!!!
  • crummywatertowr
    crummywatertowr Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    If you enjoyed the movie you read Michael Pollan's Defense of Food. Really good information
  • Tori_356
    Tori_356 Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    It was good but I'm not changing my diet over it...the vitamin/medicine thing was pretty interesting.. and scary
  • prettyinpink246
    Options
    Im actually watching it on youtube right now...and its pretty good. There's another documentary about how much foods are processed, I forgot the name but its really good.
  • letsdothis2010
    letsdothis2010 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    If you enjoyed the movie you read Michael Pollan's Defense of Food. Really good information

I've heard good things about this book. I'll have to check it out next time I go to the library :)
  • crummywatertowr
    crummywatertowr Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    He was a big contributor to the movie. He talks about how we need to sensibly change our overall eating habits.
  • biscodaisy
    biscodaisy Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I haven't watched the movie yet, but I just finished reading "Food Matters." I really enjoyed the book and it has recipes! I found it really interesting to think of food in terms of the amount of energy it takes to get the item to you versus the amount you get out of it. The recipes are simple and focus on whole foods. I made the creamy carrot soup last night (about 5 ingredients) and it was fabulous!! It was actually creamy without any dairy and now I have yummy soup for lunch this week! I can’t wait to try making my own flatbread. An entire bag of flour cost less than one package of the premade kind and the recipe only has three ingredients. Bonus: I can pronounce and recognize everything in the homemade ones. Now that I’ve finished the book, I can’t wait to watch the movie!!