Fat Doctor Takes her Own Advice and Loses Weight!

Options
Hey everyone!
1r99ndte6flz.jpg
My name is Jenny and I am a doctor in Dayton, OH. Like so many people, I myself struggled with work-life balance for years. My whole life was about my job, and I always put my personal life and health second. Last year I decided that had to stop. With diet (and using MFP of course!) and exercise alone I have lost 83 pounds so far. I am 23 pounds away from my goal weight!!! Calorie tracking has been such a lifesaver for me, and my diet has completely transformed. Thanks everyone else for sharing your stories, we need to keep each other motivated!
msotiov87qy6.jpg

Replies

• MidModJenn
    MidModJenn Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! You are ROCKING that bikini! :)
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,550 Member
    Options
    Yes, there is a doctor in the house! Stick around cause I'm sure there will be people who will want some advice!!
    Awesome job BTW!

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Niki_Fitz
    Niki_Fitz Posts: 945 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Great work! And I love the bikini in your "after" picture. May I ask, how long did it take you to get this far and what are your workouts like? You have some great muscle tone showing.
  • cbeutler
    cbeutler Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    Great job
  • Mellonator81
    Mellonator81 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    That is awesome! Congratulations on all your hard work and success! You're an inspiration to so many trying to physically better themselves <3
  • lisagetslim
    lisagetslim Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    wow u you look amazing inspiration to others i'm reading on here today to make the change day 2... day 1 weighed was 227 lb 5ft i can relate to what your story congratulations you've done a fantastic job on your weight loss.
  • TravisJHunt
    TravisJHunt Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    Awesome job! You look great and what a great way to talk with patients about losing weight for their health. My doctor is a runner as well so its a great jumping off point for many conversations with us about health.
  • Sunna_W
    Sunna_W Posts: 744 Member
    Options
    "I was really mad at my PCP for never even mentioning how weight loss could help with my problems. All she did was keep throwing pills at me. It's pretty irresponsible, to be honest."

This is so true. I don't know what they teach in medical school anymore except that the doctors are to order a bunch of tests and throw drugs at you.

@jkhartsock you look great, by the way. What an inspiration!

• lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Great results!
  • OvercomerJudith
    OvercomerJudith Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Your voice is going to be so powerful in the medical community. PLEASE don't stop speaking out. Sometimes it takes a "death sentence" to motivate a person to change, but even then, like some alchoholics, some will refuse. Still, speak! All we can do is share our experience, strength and hope. Some will listen and be changed. Thank you for your courage.
  • Deanner03
    Deanner03 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    Sunna_W wrote: »
    "I was really mad at my PCP for never even mentioning how weight loss could help with my problems. All she did was keep throwing pills at me. It's pretty irresponsible, to be honest."

This is so true. I don't know what they teach in medical school anymore except that the doctors are to order a bunch of tests and throw drugs at you.

@jkhartsock you look great, by the way. What an inspiration!

I'm not sure if it's that, or the fact that they get sick of telling people to change their lives over and over again without any results. I'm an RN. After a while of talking to people about lifestyle modifications (smoking cessation, weight reduction, dietary changes, etc), you realize that it's not going to happen, and just treat the symptoms rather than the cause, because failure to do so can have far reaching ramifications.

I see an NP. He speaks very candidly about weight. Did I make changes? Not at first. I had a hip replacement last year (at 35). I am now motivated to get the weight off to try to get the hip to last longer.

• Deanner03
    Deanner03 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    By the way, OP...GREAT JOB!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!