B Vitamins, Omegas, Zinc and others

Options
hardyh
hardyh Posts: 13 Member
Searching has brought up a couple of posts on this subject. I am trialling paying for MFP at the moment, and starting to use it more. However, tracking these nutrients is fairly essential for me as I have a largely plant-based diet (have done for 25 years, not a new thing). I just thought it was important to add to the noise. I am not vegan, but there is a burgeoning number of people making that choice, and tracking these nutrients is essential in that endeavour.

MFP / Under Armour.... don't fall behind the curve...

Replies

• JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Maybe try putting that in the Suggestions/Feedback area.
  • hardyh
    Options
    Ah, admin - wanna move it? I did have a scan through, don't use the forums that often and grabbed the first area I thought appropriate. For reference I am trialling against Cronometer at the mo. While I love the way MFP works and logs, the data collected there is WAY better at present :(
  • veggie16mfp
    veggie16mfp Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Interesting! I take zinc, B vits, magnesium and vit D daily. Frustrating that I can't measure the quantity on Mfp. Might take a peek at the other one you mentioned.
  • Old_Cat_Lady
    Old_Cat_Lady Posts: 1,193 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    There is a free site called Cronometer. Their database for packaged foods is bad, but it's good for those more "natural eaters". It will break down all the vitamins. Even the omega 3's and 6's. I use it about once a week. I have learned that I am not getting enough magnesium and I'm getting too many bad fats. I take a daily multivitamin (one pill is all I can handle a day).
  • fuzzylop72
    fuzzylop72 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    hardyh wrote: »
    Searching has brought up a couple of posts on this subject. I am trialling paying for MFP at the moment, and starting to use it more. However, tracking these nutrients is fairly essential for me as I have a largely plant-based diet (have done for 25 years, not a new thing). I just thought it was important to add to the noise. I am not vegan, but there is a burgeoning number of people making that choice, and tracking these nutrients is essential in that endeavour.

MFP / Under Armour.... don't fall behind the curve...

Unfortunately, it's not on most food labels, so tracking it via mfp isn't straightforward for any processed food.
  • hardyh
    Options
    That is true, and unfortunate. As has been stated, Cronometers database doesn't rival MFP yet. I'm currently tracking micronutrients with approximations on Cronometer, and logging here. Looking at the number of plant based diet questions in the forums, it seems MFP should definitely look at implementing this. Some user editable fields on Nutrients and Goals would do the trick as a quick fix, and could contribute to the wider database if implemented correctly :smile:
  • hardyh
    Options
    9ygz4jjt8a8u.png
    This information is invaluable...
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    After the new recipe calculator fiasco, let's be cautious about expecting UA to implement anything correctly.