Why is the weight not coming off!

Options
HI everybody,

This is my first post so please bare with me. I started MFP just over two weeks and I have only lost 3lbs. I have gone from hardly exercising to exercising everyday. I go on the wii- zumba, dance workout, just dance 1+2. I have started at zumba classes twice a week as of this week. I am also trying to include long bike rides and the gym.

I am constantly active with exercise or work and feel good for it but I am not seeing the results!

Does anybody have any tips on what I can do?

I am 5 ft 5 and now weigh 221 :S

I do have an underactive thyroid but this is controlled by medication.

SW- 224
CW-221
GW- 147

Replies

• amclark37
    amclark37 Posts: 19
    Options
    I am right there with you!
  • dcgonz
    dcgonz Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Hello!
    Did you take your measurements before starting? At first you will lose inches instead of weight and here is why:

One pound of muscle and one pound of fat are NOT the same size.

If I place one pound of muscle on a scale and one pound of fat on a scale, they will both weigh one pound. The difference is in total volume. One pound of muscle may appear to be the size of baseball; one pound of fat will be three times the size and look like a squiggly bowl of Jell-O.

Why is it that we can lose sizes, yet the scale remains the same? Because muscle weighs more than fat...

Muscle is a denser tissue and thus takes up less room than an equal weight of fat. That's why it's possible to lose inches but show no changes in scale weight. Having more muscle means you have a more desirable body composition, or fat-to-muscle ratio. You may still weigh the same, but your body will look different, smaller, better and tighter. Though it may take you a few weeks to see measurable changes, you begin to put on muscle and burn calories from the moment you start exercising.

The muscle weight you gain also beefs up your metabolism which in turn, helps you to burn off more fat. Talk about a win-win situation! (You won't jiggle as much at your ideal weight, either.)

Hang in there, you will start to see a change in the scale in about 4-6 weeks,
    Diana
  • TrishJimenez
    TrishJimenez Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    I have sorta been having the same issue as you. As you can see I have only lost 5 lbs in the last 6 weeks. Someone told me that working out shocks the body and you might not see the scale go down right away. But you may be noticing a change in how your clothes fit?
  • vallejos6
    vallejos6 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Hmm, 3 pounds in 2 weeks is a good loss! I've averaged about .75 pounds a week in my weight loss, so you're ahead of me. Are your muscles at all sore from the new workouts? If they are, you are most certainly holding water as your muscles repair themselves. Be patient, you will lose weight if you stick to it and put in the effort.

~~Veronica
  • kathywoo10
    kathywoo10 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    3 pounds in 2 weeks is a healthy amount to lose. You can't get too impatient with this process. I didn't happen overnight and won't come off overnight either.
  • mikeroplay
    mikeroplay Posts: 15
    Options
    Same problem here, my first month I lost 20lbs, in the past 3 weeks, nothing. I guess sometimes we just require more patience.
  • danidav88
    danidav88 Posts: 29
    Options
    Thanks for all the feedback guys. I did measure myself and lost an inch of my hips and waist in two weeks so not bad I guess.

Its just dishearting when you don't see it on the scale.

Also my husband is losing it so much easier and although I am very happy for him it is really hard to not see the results when you are working so hard.

I am not hurting as much as i thought I would just a little achy in the morning.
  • kmeekhof
    kmeekhof Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    You have to be patient!!! The weight did not come on over night... and will not come off over night. 3 lbs in 2 weeks is a good loss. Stick with it!
  • KimWilsonIrl
    Options
    I'm exactly the same!! Working my butt off and I gained 3 pounds this week!!?? :mad:
  • jaqui71
    jaqui71 Posts: 14
    Options
    I am so sorry to hear that. I know how you feel. I have started jogging 7km 6 times a week and have started on Jenny Craig. I thought the weight would fall off of me but that just isn't happening. It seems like I can eat anything I want and stay the same weight or be as healthy as possible and still stay the same. My doctor keeps telling me at least my heart is getting healthier.
    Keep up the good work and I am sure it will happen
  • danidav88
    Options
    The problem i think is that a year ago i did a liquid only diet to lose weight for my wedding and lost 4 1/2 stone. I have easily put that back on and some more. I lost weight so quick with the diet and expect those results which is obviously daft.

I just have to keep going and hopefully see results.

Any ideas how many calories I should consume?
  • DeeDeeLHF
    DeeDeeLHF Posts: 2,301 Member
    Options
    Hang in there. The body is not a computer it is a complex machine. It isn't always about numbers in and numbers out. As others have said there are many factors and reaching your goal is not simply measured by the scales. Water, body composition (fat/muscle ratio), are all factors.

Focus on doing the right things...eating really healthy (proteins, veggies, fruits, unprocessed carbs, etc), and exercising and let the weight take care of itself. It does come off but sometimes it is just really slow.

Love yourself through this journey. Embrace your body's unique way of functioning. Never compare your success with another.

You can do this provided that you never quit!

D
  • danidav88
    Options
    Thanks for the support guys- really appreciate it!!
  • danidav88
    Options
    Thanks support everybody but after all that i weighed myself this morning and I have lost 2lbs so total of 5 ilbs in nearly 3 weeks
  • MelissaGraham7
    MelissaGraham7 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    DeeDee/Donna is right on the money with the best weight loss advice you can get! Love you body and love yourself. Be patient and respect your body. You don't have to be in a rush. THe weight that comes off SLOWLY will be much more likely to stay off.

Listen to DeeDee! :wink:
  • elizamc
    elizamc Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • tmm01
    tmm01 Posts: 137
    Options
    Hello!
    Did you take your measurements before starting? At first you will lose inches instead of weight and here is why:

If I place one pound of muscle on a scale and one pound of fat on a scale, they will both weigh one pound. The difference is in total volume. One pound of muscle may appear to be the size of baseball; one pound of fat will be three times the size and look like a squiggly bowl of Jell-O.

Why is it that we can lose sizes, yet the scale remains the same? Because muscle weighs more than fat...

Muscle is a denser tissue and thus takes up less room than an equal weight of fat. That's why it's possible to lose inches but show no changes in scale weight. Having more muscle means you have a more desirable body composition, or fat-to-muscle ratio. You may still weigh the same, but your body will look different, smaller, better and tighter. Though it may take you a few weeks to see measurable changes, you begin to put on muscle and burn calories from the moment you start exercising.

The muscle weight you gain also beefs up your metabolism which in turn, helps you to burn off more fat. Talk about a win-win situation! (You won't jiggle as much at your ideal weight, either.)

Diana

Thanks for this. I joined MFP in September first month I lost 6kg, no problem, now the weight is staying the same, even though I try to do exercise each day & limit my net calories to 1000. After 3 weeks of no weight loss I am beginning to get a bit disheartened. But I have to keep with it. Any advice greatly appreciated.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,701 Member
    Options
    Hello!

Diana
    You don't build muscle on calorie deficit and doing cardio.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    Congrats on losing 3 pounds! Sounds like you are right on track to safely losing the weight and keeping it off! You will never have immediate results and be at your goal weight in a week. It takes time for your body to change, just like it took time for you to gain the weight you are trying to lose.

Best of luck!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,701 Member
    Options
    When you take up exercise after a long lay off, you will retain water and glycogen for a couple of weeks. This is why many actually gain weight when exercise is taken up. It will subside in a couple of weeks.