Tasty healthy treats?

Options
So even tho I'm cutting weight I still want to eat things that taste good but are healthy... does anyone know any snacks or treats to eat that are both delicious and good for you?? Please help!

Replies

• ipmac22
    ipmac22 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I've been enjoying roasting chick peas in the oven for good snacks lately. I use a little bit of extra virgin olive oil and season them with whatever I want and they are great for a crunchy and tasty snack. I've never been someone to really reach for chips, but I can see this as a great snack for someone who does.

Also, a good quality whole wheat/grain cracker and a little bit of cheese if you eat dairy.

Lastly, when I need a treat, I grab one square of dark chocolate, taking the tiniest bites and savoring it. All of these are good for you in different ways and not calorie bombs.

• narspips
    narspips Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I've recently discovered a 'knock-off', low-calorie dessert that works out to around 120 cals for a good-sized portion and is easy and quick to prepare. Crushed meringue (I buy the pre-made nests) mixed in a bowl with some plain Greek yoghurt and whatever berries I happen to have - blueberries and raspberries work well. If you've heard of Eton mess it's basically a knock-off version of that. Surprisingly tasty - and apart from the sugar in the meringue it's pretty hard to complain about health-wise!
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    All foods contribute to nutrition, to various degrees. It's all about context, dosage and frequency. To lose weight, you need to consistently eat less. A wide variety of foods is what constitutes a healthy diet. A relaxed attitude towards food and eating is healthy. Taste is a personal matter. I don't snack and all my meals are tasty and healthy.
  • EbonyMiller22
    EbonyMiller22 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone
  • GonzosaysMeow
    GonzosaysMeow Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Sweet potatoes, boil 'em until they are tender, add cinnamon and ginger. No sugar necessary if they are done right. You can add peanut butter to round out the macros.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    So even tho I'm cutting weight I still want to eat things that taste good but are healthy... does anyone know any snacks or treats to eat that are both delicious and good for you?? Please help!

A lot of people have the hardest time meeting protein and/or fiber recommendations, so any yummies containing those are in that sense a healthy choice. Cheese, for instance, usually has a good amount of protein (a lot of fat and calories too depending on the item). Snack items with beans will have fiber.

If your daily calorie allowance is low, you may find yourself eating too 'clean' by default and actually be low on recommended minimum fat by the end of the day. Lots of yummy choices there.

A lot of it will come down to comparing calorie content of potential snacks and figuring out what fits. In the mood for something fatty-sugary.. well that (non-king sized) chocolate bar is often ~210 calories (and perforated), while that little individually-packed crumble-coffee/streusel-cake might be 450 (I may have been in this exact scenario, and I may have attracted a few stares after audibly blurting out "450 calories! No wonder people are so g*d d*mn fat!" while in the checkout lane).

edit: number mis-type