Desk Job

Options
So, I work as a teller at a bank. I have noticed that working this job, I never hit a step goal of 8,000 steps in a day... which is horrible. I spend most of my day sitting. As of today, I am on a quest to start hitting this step goal everyday. Even just moving more will make me happy. I have considered a few things. 1. Taking walks on my hour long lunch break. 2. Squats behind the teller line. 3. Lunges behind the teller line. All 3 are totally feasible options for me. There is no reason why I can't take a few minutes out of each day to get this done. I've considered, also, buying lighter weights to keep by my desk.

Anyone else have issues like this?
What do you do with your time at your desk job?

I'm up for any conversation in regards to this. I am used to being very active at work, so this whole desk job thing is a big change for me!

Hope y'all have a wonderful day. :)

Replies

• ipmac22
    ipmac22 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I keep printouts of desk workouts at my desk and when I can, I fit them in. Also, I get up to stretch. I get up to fill my water bottle. I get up to heat up a cup of tea. I get up to go to the bathroom after all of that water and tea. I find every excuse I can to get up and walk and I will take the long way, or add an extra lap if possible. If I can, I go for a walk during lunch. I've done squats, lunges, and pushups (off the counter, not the floor *yuck*) in the bathroom.

If you have anything to help remind you to move, whether it's an alarm or you make a habit of getting up to move every 15, 30 minutes, whatever. You can definitely do it! I've also worked a lot on my posture making sure I stretch and reset. This will not only help your back (and appearance to others) but will help you activate your core!
  • Anrok
    Anrok Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I work at a desk too after having jobs where I was on my feet all day, it is quite a change (and part if the reason I gained weight)! I try to take the long way if I can to get to places, I walk for 30 minutes of my hour lunch, and sometimes I do squats or lunges while I'm waiting on a fax to go through. I try to stand and stretch a couple times a day, and when I notice I'm slouching I try to readjust my posture and be more "active" in my sitting, if that makes sense.

As a teller, are you able to stand at your station for part of the day?
  • chelllsea124
    chelllsea124 Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Anrok wrote: »
    I work at a desk too after having jobs where I was on my feet all day, it is quite a change (and part if the reason I gained weight)! I try to take the long way if I can to get to places, I walk for 30 minutes of my hour lunch, and sometimes I do squats or lunges while I'm waiting on a fax to go through. I try to stand and stretch a couple times a day, and when I notice I'm slouching I try to readjust my posture and be more "active" in my sitting, if that makes sense.

As a teller, are you able to stand at your station for part of the day?

Yes! That's about the only thing I have going for me since my "desk" is higher than a normal desk! So that definitely helps! My posture is awful, though. I really need to work on that!