Low carb diet

Options
Is a low carb diet healthy.

Replies

• derick337
    derick337 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I pretty much eat 3eggs for breakfast that's two egg whites and one whole egg boiled for lunch I will eat something like broiled fish and mix veggies. Dinner grilled chicken breast or chicken salad something like that I normally switch on the meats. I guess that would be considered a low car diet?
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Are you logging in MFP? Do you know how many calories and grams of carbs you're taking in?
  • BigNate17
    BigNate17 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    derick337 wrote: »
    Is a low carb diet healthy.

It's healthy if:

1.) You enjoy eating low carb
    2.) You're hitting your macros and micros consistently
    3.) You can see yourself eating a low carb diet forever. Because if not then you're just asking for a bad rebound
  • Old_Cat_Lady
    Old_Cat_Lady Posts: 1,193 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I eat high carb and I'm losing weight. I love my plain sweet potato with a side of grilled chicken. I watch total calories. I am avoiding flour products since they don't fill me up and seem to be high in calories.
  • ZoneFive
    ZoneFive Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    I pretty much eat 3eggs for breakfast that's two egg whites and one whole egg boiled for lunch I will eat something like broiled fish and mix veggies. Dinner grilled chicken breast or chicken salad something like that I normally switch on the meats. I guess that would be considered a low car diet?

I gotta say that sounds terrifically boring.

I usually have ham, eggs & cheese for breakfast. Or maybe yogurt with muesli & berries. For lunch I'll have a chef salad, or a Cobb salad, or or maybe barbecue from the place next to where I work. Sometimes I'll have a sandwich if I feel like it. Dinner might be ribeye and sugar snap peas, or roast chicken (dark meat), or country pork ribs, or moussaka, or pizza, or takeout Chinese if that's what the day calls for. All of this keeping under 100g carb for the day, and within my calories. Given that the Standard American Diet runs anywhere from 250 to 325 g carbs (and often very much more), that counts as low carb.

Why, short of medical reasons, should anyone so limit themselves? If I thought I had to live on grilled chicken breast I'd go into a decline.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options

Weight loss is all about reducing calories. Cutting carbs is just one method. If you like eating that way, then fine have at it.

But keep in mind that weight loss is just the first step. Keeping the weight off requires some sort of permanent change, low carb for life may be that change for you.
  • rocknlotsofrolls
    rocknlotsofrolls Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    I'm currently eating between 80 and 100 grams of carbs a day, and between 1200-1500 calories a day, and that includes simple AND complex carbs. I'm losing weight. This is just what works for me. It's about 80% healthy. I mean, I would hate my life if I couldn't have at least a little bit of unhealthy, i.e. processed food everyday.