Green Tea

Options
I drink about 5 cups of green tea per day, does this encourage weight loss? Thank you for any information

Replies

• mazdauk
    mazdauk Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    Not really. It might suppress your appetite by making you feel full up, and you can count it towards your water intake. But sadly it has no magic properties. :'(:'(
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Nope. A couple of studies showed that, in very very very large amounts, green tea had a very very minor effect on metabolism, and the media and the people selling supplements jumped on it as "Green tea boosts weight loss!!!!!"

Its got antioxidants and, if you're drinking it instead of something with calories, you will save calories and thus possibly lose weight. But no, not the way you're asking, it won't.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I drink about 5 cups of green tea per day, does this encourage weight loss? Thank you for any information

i thought you were trying to gain weight?
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options

i thought you were trying to gain weight?

I was just about to say that, I thought the username was familiar.
  • ccruz985
    ccruz985 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    It does in that it tends to take the edge off of your hunger.
  • Old_Cat_Lady
    Old_Cat_Lady Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    For me yes. Since it was replacing coffee with milk (calories). Or other snack.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    It helps with one dessert recipe I've got (caveat: if you are restricting added sugars, this isn't recommended). My cookbook includes a recipe for orange granita, with variation for lemon-lime, coffee, and green tea. Since I abhor coffee flavoring in almost all forms, I never ran the calories on that one. The orange has the least amount of added sugar; the lemon-lime the most. But when it comes to calories, the green tea comes in at 87 calories to the half-cup; the orange at 101. (FWIW, the lemon-lime is at 244. Two cups of added sugar vs 2/3 of a cup in the green tea, 1/2 cup in the orange.)

But if you mean magical fat-burning properties, sorry. No.
  • BigNate17
    BigNate17 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    No
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    Why are you trying to lose weight. Aren't you already too thin (in your own words). I guess you haven't called your doctor yet to discuss your disordered eating
  • My_Butt
    My_Butt Posts: 2,300 Member
    Options
    Nope. A couple of studies showed that, in very very very large amounts, green tea had a very very minor effect on metabolism, and the media and the people selling supplements jumped on it as "Green tea boosts weight loss!!!!!"

Its got antioxidants and, if you're drinking it instead of something with calories, you will save calories and thus possibly lose weight. But no, not the way you're asking, it won't.

I must have read the same article cause I remember seeing that you'd have to drink about 18 cups a day to see a metabolic increase. Haha.
  • JLG1986
    JLG1986 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Yes...in the sense that if you're sipping tea you're staying hydrated, and not putting high calorie food/drink in your mouth instead. But I don't think it has any magic weight loss properties. I love green tea anyways though!