A little help....ive never eaten right

Options
Hi well im new.....
So...im not the kind of person that reflects numbers as primarely the first thing to look. I'm 5.8 currently 237 after using phen in August 1 17 I was 244. The thing is because of my body shape I really don't look ok with the lbs that they say I need base on my height. But I look healthy and normal with 180 which is my goal weight.
I've always eaten 1 meal a day and then ice cream cookies etc.....i hated breakfast! Made me really nauseas.
Now I'm trying to eat healthy since I'm on the pills I will try to go a different route in eating habits.

But here's the thing I feel full all day and that makes me think I'm eating too much . I have never counted calories so...im trying the best I can but need someone to tell me if I'm going the right way.
1100 calorie

Breakfast: oatmeal and banana
Snack: oatmeal raisin and prune juice
Lunch: small salad
Snack: prune yogurt
Dinner: 2 whole wheat with a little olive oil salt and tuna

Today:

Bf: 2 whole wheat olive oil salt and snack fruit salad

Does this sound ok?

And I'm drinking 64 oz of water which could be why I'm full and since I've never eaten 5 meals a day Im hoping I'm going good.

Replies

• Old_Cat_Lady
    Old_Cat_Lady Posts: 1,193 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I would ditch that phen prescription and give this site "the ol' college try". Call your doctor first. That prescription has nasty side effects and it looks like you might not really need it.
    Doctors are quick to write out prescriptions; aren't they? Shame he/she did not offer options. Go get a food scale if you don't have one. Near measuring cups at stores.
    I eat 5 times a day and make sure I get protein each time. One meal a day is a bad idea.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    1100 cals is too low

if you don't like eating breakfast, don't eat it.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Weight loss is really simple - just eat less than you burn. But it's not easy, because you have to do it for a long time to get any real results. We can try to help you. But you have to do the job yourself.

We usually like what we are used to. But we can get used to new things.

Number of meals isn't that important. What's important is that you get in appropriate nutrition. That's difficult eating one meal and then grazing for the rest of the day, though.
    The pills you are taking are supposed to lower your appetite.
    You can't really go by how full/hungry you are - you are used to eating too much, and now you are taking medication that interferes with your appetite.
    You will know how much you are eating if you track correctly.
    You should aim to hit your calorie goal. You won't lose faster if you eat under, you'll just overeat when you can't do it anymore.
    You can and should eat food you want. You may have to make some priorities.
    I always recommend a wide variety of food you like.
    Your water intake sounds ok.
  • lizga17
    lizga17 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I know 1100 calorie diet is low but considering i only ate once a day isnt it a good start? I want to increase the calorie intake every 2 weeks so my body can get adjusted slowly.
    Im on phen because I ...its hard for me to not eat a chocolate or anything sugary. I had a baby 3 months ago, and when i get stressed tootsie rolls where bought every day...no jk.

And yeah the doctor doesnt care...as long as u pay for the visit you good to go. I didnt even see him...i got weight by a nurse who checked my ekg thats it and i have no health issues besudes being overweight lol

I am planning this week to start the gym...but nothing crazy as that never works for me... im thinking treadmill 3 miles, eliptical 10 min and littlr by little increase the time and effort. I keep saying little by little because when i go full force i just end up tired and lazy so..
    Commitment first.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    My only thing here is to see good results and healthy ones at that, typically you should be eating 6 small meals a day. It keeps your metabolism at a steady fat burning rate. Not eating breakfast and only eating once a day then at night time eating snacks has your body in fat storing mode not fat burning!

nope nope nope nope....
  • Old_Cat_Lady
    Old_Cat_Lady Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    I lost weight without exercising. Just to let you know. Taking care of a baby was seriously enough. Cleaning the house and baby was a heap of a lot of exercise. I would go to the mall and just walk the stroller. I got a zoo membership and just walked baby once a week. I strolled to the tiny grocery store near our home. Any parks?
    This site will make you aware of eating; please stick to it. Have your tootsie roll, just smaller portions (after a meal).
    If you decide to work out, make sure you have food available after a workout (prepared at home). You will get hungry afterwards.
  • slinke2014
    slinke2014 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    My only thing here is to see good results and healthy ones at that, typically you should be eating 6 small meals a day. It keeps your metabolism at a steady fat burning rate. Not eating breakfast and only eating once a day then at night time eating snacks has your body in fat storing mode not fat burning!

this is not a thing. The number of meals you eat in a day doesn't matter. its all about calories in and calories out. You might want to try a wider variety of foods like fruits and veggies so you are getting good nutrition in there as well. Try upping your calories every day until you are at a more acceptable amount. I work out almost every day and can easily lose weight on 1800 calories a day.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    lizga17 wrote: »
    I know 1100 calorie diet is low but considering i only ate once a day isnt it a good start? I want to increase the calorie intake every 2 weeks so my body can get adjusted slowly.
    Im on phen because I ...its hard for me to not eat a chocolate or anything sugary. I had a baby 3 months ago, and when i get stressed tootsie rolls where bought every day...no jk.

And yeah the doctor doesnt care...as long as u pay for the visit you good to go. I didnt even see him...i got weight by a nurse who checked my ekg thats it and i have no health issues besudes being overweight lol

I am planning this week to start the gym...but nothing crazy as that never works for me... im thinking treadmill 3 miles, eliptical 10 min and littlr by little increase the time and effort. I keep saying little by little because when i go full force i just end up tired and lazy so..
    Commitment first.

The best advice I was given was that "You are not making a major change in your life, you are making a series of small changes". Change one small thing, make it a habit, then change another small thing.

I have lost 76 lb so far. How I did it:
    1. Started off eating regular meals of "real food" instead of grazing on whatever. "Real food" was food I prepared and gathered together on a plate. I did not weigh, measure, or count calories. After 6 weeks I lost around 20 lb.
    2. Started logging and tracking calories. Had to adjust some portion sizes but still ate mostly what I already had been eating. Calorie target was something like 1900 per day
    3. After another 6 weeks, I began to take a water aerobics class. had back and knee issues so I couldn't walk far. Ate back about 75% of calories earned.
    4. Kept building on what I was already doing. Now I swim a mile as well as the aerobics class and I can walk up to 2 miles. I also look for new recipes and try new things in order to keep more variety in my foods. Current calorie target is 1590 plus exercise calories earned.
  • kommodevaran
    Options
    You need to eat enough, and you didn't really eat just once a day, with the grazing. Your body is more eager for good nutrition than anything. You are craving chocolate and sweets because you aren't eating properly, and you eat it because it's there. Tootsie rolls aren't "bought" - you buy them. You need to be healthy for your baby.
    That's terrible patient care.
    Any exercise will be good for you. The exercise you actually do will have the most effect.
    BTW, I don't exercise.
    Commitment first.
    I politely suggest good plan first.
  • rmgnow
    rmgnow Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    Gotta up those calories. 1100 at your height and weight probably isn't sustainable anyway.

So you'll probably up them whether you want to or not
  • lizga17
    Options
    Idk how to reply one by one...

But...i did eat real meal. I cook everyday, but I guess what I cook I was eating eat really late like 4 or 5pm...and I'm Cuban so our meals tend to be really heavy example: black beans, rice, fried plantains < chick peas, rice, banana, maybe a salad< ribs in tomato sauce, rice, lettuce...and big portions.
    But even though those are real food in my book they are heavy and not really too healthy as most of them have grease and stuff.
    But I will keep trying to eat healthy it's kinda hard since I have to make 2 different lunches a day...the healthy one for me (veggies, salads, low calorie) and the traditional one for muy husband and kid. And since he works construction and he doesn't like to not be able to eat what he likes...amd my kid is skinny with all he eats.
    I'm wondering if maybe I'm more slower because I'm a kinda constipated person. Both of them go to bathroom to poop about 2-3 times a day....that would be a record for me lol.

Thanks all for your 2 cents I do appreciate it.
  • kommodevaran
    Options

But...i did eat real meal. I cook everyday, but I guess what I cook I was eating eat really late like 4 or 5pm...
    Meal timing is not important. Are you saying that 5pm is late?

and I'm Cuban so our meals tend to be really heavy example: black beans, rice, fried plantains < chick peas, rice, banana, maybe a salad< ribs in tomato sauce, rice, lettuce...and big portions.
    But even though those are real food in my book they are heavy and not really too healthy as most of them have grease and stuff.
    But I will keep trying to eat healthy it's kinda hard since I have to make 2 different lunches a day...the healthy one for me (veggies, salads, low calorie) and the traditional one for muy husband and kid. And since he works construction and he doesn't like to not be able to eat what he likes...amd my kid is skinny with all he eats.
    Your cooking sounds really healthy. Eating together as a family is healthy. Fat is not dangerous (not even fattening). You just have to not eat too much. But I suspect it's the grazing after dinner that's getting the calorie counts up.
    I'm wondering if maybe I'm more slower because I'm a kinda constipated person. Both of them go to bathroom to poop about 2-3 times a day....that would be a record for me lol.

If you eat less, less will come out. But this has nothing to do with real weight loss.
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    Options

But...i did eat real meal. I cook everyday, but I guess what I cook I was eating eat really late like 4 or 5pm...and I'm Cuban so our meals tend to be really heavy example: black beans, rice, fried plantains < chick peas, rice, banana, maybe a salad< ribs in tomato sauce, rice, lettuce...and big portions.

If you want to lose weight, worry about the quantity of calories you're eating first, and then worry about the quality. That dinner sounds delicious! Figure out how many calories you're actually eating, because most people are way off, and then start making those little changes. If you like the lunches you're making for your kid and husband and find making a second lunch really hard, make the same lunch for yourself, only with smaller portions. And don't feel bad about when or how often you're eating - it genuinely doesn't matter. There's a little bit of research that people who eat breakfast are a bit more likely to lose weight and keep it off, but plenty of people skip breakfast and are perfectly fine.
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options

You can lose weight eating the same kinds of foods you were eating before; you just need to eat less of them. "Eating healthy" doesn't mean eating salads. At least for me, it means eating a wide variety of foods, including proteins, fats, vegetables and fruits, in amounts that provide enough energy and nutrition without causing me to gain weight.

Meal timing doesn't matter. You can eat as early or as late as you want.
    The number of meals you eat per day doesn't matter. You can eat two large meals, or five smaller meals, whatever fits your preferences and lifestyle.

The number of calories you eat per day DOES matter. The kinds of foods you eat matters to a point -- you can incorporate some treats into your day, but you cannot keep your body running on just Tootsie Rolls if they're crowding out other sources of nutrition.
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    Options
    Also, if you hit "quote" under someone's comment, it will copy their comment into the comment box at the bottom of the screen in a block quote, as I just did with your comment above. Just be careful only to hit it once, or you'll copy the quote multiple times!
  • lizga17
    Options
    Also, if you hit "quote" under someone's comment, it will copy their comment into the comment box at the bottom of the screen in a block quote, as I just did with your comment above. Just be careful only to hit it once, or you'll copy the quote multiple times!

Hahahhahahahhahq
  • lizga17
    Options

But...i did eat real meal. I cook everyday, but I guess what I cook I was eating eat really late like 4 or 5pm...
    Meal timing is not important. Are you saying that 5pm is late?

Yeap...i think so. Because thats the only thing i ate till i was full....so I go till 8 or 9 full and then swaaaashhhhh some cookies.
    Also...i was breastfeeding and the first 2 weeks in I did loose 90% of the baby weight but then, suddenly I started eating alot more..like if every time I breastfed drained me. And when I say I was hungry I was! My stomach was rumbling after 3 hrs of eating (big meal) so I gained back another 6 lbs. But now I'm starting to work so I stopped BF...... I guess I need to watch my body and see what really works for me..
    Because as how I'm seeing everyone actually has different strategies that go with them.
    This sounds like homework lol
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Weight management is about calories. Not type of food. Not time of day you eat or number of meals..
    If you want to lose weight you need to have a calorie deficit. To do this you consume fewer calories, burn more calories through increased activity or both. Calories in, calories out.
    The minimum recommendation of calories for women is 1200. At your height and weight you should be able to eat much more than 1100 calories and lose weight at a steady rate. Put your height and weight and activity level without exercise into MFP. If you are 50+ lbs overweight you might choose to lose 2 lb per week. If you feel that amount would be hard to sustain then choose 1.5 or 1 lb per week. Lose at a slower but more comfortable rate. Eat the number of calories MFP tells you. If you exercise log it and eat a portion of those calories.

Log everything you consume as accurately as you can. A food scale is a helpful tool. Learn about portion sizes that are appropriate for you.
    Don't completely change your diet overnight. You want to eat in a way that you can sustain long term in your world. It is great to try new foods but don't stop having stuff you really love.
    Prelogging your food for the day can be helpful for sticking to your calorie goal and making sure you get enough nutrients.
    People generally feel more full when they get enough protein, fats and fiber.
    Pair higher calorie foods with lower calorie foods. Have a salad with your meal for example.

For health it is a pretty good idea to eat enough protein and several servings of fruits and/or vegetables a day before eating low nutrient foods. Most of your calories should go to nutrient filled foods.
    Generally you can just drink to your thirst level instead of forcing yourself to drink a certain number of ounces of water.

If you have trouble moderating a particular food buy less of it, get lower calorie versions or abstain.

If you are an emotional eater work on developing new coping tools that don't involve food. Therapy, art, music, exercise, talking, writing, cleaning... whatever.