Have you tried SAMe

Options
MrsLannister
MrsLannister Posts: 347 Member
edited August 2017 in Health and Weight Loss
I started taking SAMe last month along with a B complex. I definitely felt different/better but did think it might be a placebo effect. I ran out of SAMe a couple of days ago and don't have the money to get more (it's kind of expensive) and wow can I tell the difference. My head is all foggy again and I'm making stupid mistakes at work (ie. When I logged into my phone this morning I put my zip code instead of my extension and then couldn't remember my extension that I've been using every day for three years). Also have slept horribly.

Replies

• Old_Cat_Lady
    Old_Cat_Lady Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    It is not in your head. Plenty of studies show the benefits of SamE. Not sure why you got a who. Costco has it at a good price if you have one nearby. Not quack medicine.
    What is Sam E good for?
    SAMe is used by mouth for depression, anxiety, heart disease, fibromyalgia, abdominal pain, osteoarthritis, bursitis, tendonitis, chronic lower back pain, dementia, Alzheimer's disease, slowing the aging process, chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS), improving mental performance, liver disease, and Parkinson's disease.

I read reviews and it can help with mild depression. A heap of a lot better than taking prescriptions. http://www.webmd.com/vitamins-supplements/ingredientmono-786-same.aspx?activeingredientid=786&activeingredientname=same
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    I started taking SAMe last month along with a B complex. I definitely felt different/better but did think it might be a placebo effect. I ran out of SAMe a couple of days ago and don't have the money to get more (it's kind of expensive) and wow can I tell the difference. My head is all foggy again and I'm making stupid mistakes at work (ie. When I logged into my phone this morning I put my zip code instead of my extension and then couldn't remember my extension that I've been using every day for three years). Also have slept horribly.

Ah, brain fog. I seem to remember back when I was on a MCS/FM/CFS discussion board that some people were helped by SAMe.

Doesn't sound like you got a mere placebo effect from it. Shop around for the best price. I get supplements from Amazon and iherb.com. Try Swanson's as well. Or Costco's, like the poster above suggested.

I don't do a huge amount of shopping around for supplements, but when my dog had lymphoma, I did shop around for his prescription meds and it was well worth the time. The price differences were mind boggling.
  • MichelleSilverleaf
    MichelleSilverleaf Posts: 2,028 Member
    Options

Have you ever seen your doctor about this? To rule out any underlying issue over why it's happening?
  • m_johannes
    m_johannes Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I work in a veterinary clinic and we sometimes prescribe Denamarin (SAMe) for pets with elevated liver enzymes. It is part of an extract from milk thistle. From reading the label online, I can see the benefits that a human might get out of it, but I would HIGHLY recommend any ladies taking birth control consult with their doctor first. Some supplements can interfere with your birth control and possibly even render it ineffective. I think it's mostly St. John's wort they talk about and granted, I'm not a doctor, but still ... personally, I would hesitate to start using anything without consulting a doctor.