Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

When Will Insurance Companies Discount Healthy Lifestyles

Options
With HealthKit and the android equivalent out there, when do you think an insurance company will start discounting health plans for individuals who pair HealthKit to their insurance app and maintain a healthy lifestyle. Car insurance companies do something similar by giving you a device to plug into your car to measure safe driving.

Replies

• Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    More likely to penalize poor habits. Can't you just sit on the couch drinking beer, eating chips, and watching TV while shaking your phone/Fitbit to get steps?
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    They're more in the business of stick than carrot.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    I get plenty of emails about life insurance being cheaper for athletes...so I'm sure its coming
  • Old_Cat_Lady
    Old_Cat_Lady Posts: 1,193 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I don't exercise, but I'm healthy. I would pay more for not exercising? What markers would they use?
    High cholesterol runs in my family. Will I have to take pills to keep it below 200? Some people have higher natural blood pressure readings.
    Only thing acceptable would be BMI, which would motivate me. Many people argue BMI.
    *African-Americans on average tend to have higher blood pressure and diabetes, so right there you fall into racism issues. http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/Conditions/HighBloodPressure/UnderstandSymptomsRisks/High-Blood-Pressure-and-African-Americans_UCM_301832_Article.jsp#.WYnu9vnyvIU
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    Not soon enough.
  • kathleennf
    kathleennf Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    Well- I just joined a HealthShare instead of buying health insurance. I had to commit myself to a healthy lifestyle- there are lots of specifics depending on which one you join. The plan includes discounted gym membership, which I may check out. Also there is some sort of a plan for people without healthy lifestyles where they can get healthy. It's coming...
  • jbirdgreen
    jbirdgreen Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    It's not quite the same, but my health insurance offers a rebate for gym membership. If you are a member of a gym for at least three months, you can apply for a 150 check to cover the costs.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Health insurance? Probably never. A lot of life insurance plans offer discounts for healthy living though...
  • Old_Cat_Lady
    Options
    How does any company know you are healthy? Exercising is not the tell-all.
  • MrsLannister
    MrsLannister Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    My company gives an incentive if you get a health screening. I think you have to work on any health issues to keep it. I haven't bothered.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    It's risk factors.

And you can get a discount under a workplace wellness program currently, although many people who have experienced them seem to be critical of them. (I have never had one available to me.)

The trend has been to limit the factors that can affect health insurance costs.
  • Old_Cat_Lady
    Options
    So to get discounts, a company will have to give you a full health test including calculating BMI. The insurance will have to charge more for each item you do not pass. Then give discounts as the person meets their goals. Evaluations will be done yearly by a doctor.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Different wellness programs work in different ways.
  • Daddy78230
    Daddy78230 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Unlike other insurance products, I don't think health insurance companies in the US have that regulatory flexibility. Health insurance companies can't base premiums based on health or lifestyle status, other than tobacco use.

Paired wellness programs, separately funded, is not as regulated and has more innovative flexibility.
  • Ruatine
    Ruatine Posts: 3,424 Member
    Options
    My insurance carrier has a wellness program that awards points for "healthy" choices (going to the gym, linking a fitness tracker and hitting your steps, participating in athletic events, etc.) and biometric markers (BMI, blood pressure, glucose, etc.). Once you hit a certain number of points in that program, the employer receives a discount on that employee's insurance premium. I happen to work for a company that then passes along the totality of that discount to the employee (instead of splitting between what the employee pays and what the company pays). So, long story short, yes, there are already insurance carriers who do this.
  • Monkey_Business
    Monkey_Business Posts: 1,800 Member
    Options
    Living a healthy life style does not mean you are healthy.
  • tuckerrj
    tuckerrj Posts: 1,453 Member
    Options
    Why discount anything, when you can "up charge" the unhealthy $$$$$$$
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    Living a healthy life style does not mean you are healthy.

Of course not, there are so many things beyond our control. But it means you are doing what you can. Your are putting forth an effort to be healthy.
  • Old_Cat_Lady
    Options
    So those with type II diabetes, high blood pressure, high BMI, high cholesterol, smokers will pay a heap of a lot more. But how much more?
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,523 Member
    Options
    Insurance companies don't give a crap as long as the bottom line is profit. So I'm thinking never because it cuts into their profit.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png