Can not get my head to stay in the game

Options
Hi anyone else having this issue. I start strong for couple of days and then I slowly fall off. It's frustrating because I generally eat pretty healthy and I exercise but just can't see any victory on the scale. I could understand if I just drank cola and ate Twinkies but that is so not the issue. Any advice or recommendation. I can give up alcohol but food we encounter everyday. I've tried all the diets. :(

Replies

• bikecheryl
    bikecheryl Posts: 1,432 Member
    Options
    Do you log daily?
    Sometimes it's as simple or as complicated as that.
  • CMNVA
    CMNVA Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Is it just portion sizes for you then?
  • cj94404
    cj94404 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I agree with Cheryl. Log everything every day. I generally eat healthy but my portions were huge and I had stress eating. If you log, it makes you weigh choices.

Three weeks ago I was bemoaning the mental energy it takes. I do think about food constantly. I had a massive breakfast today so I need to watch any snacking. It's annoying to have to think so much! But not thinking caused me to put on 40 extra lbs.

Stick to the logging. Look for slow loss. Men may be able to drop 10 lbs in a week (shakes fist) but slow is more realistic for women.

And moderation. Eat your favorites. Just not every day.
  • tgcakef
    tgcakef Posts: 111 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Maybe you're trying to do too much all at once. Break it down into smaller pieces, and do one or two things at a time. It's easy to get overwhelmed or feel like you have to do everything correctly immediately.

Keeping a log? Don't bother weighing, just log what you eat. If you know what you're eating, you can see what problem areas you might have. Maybe you're snacking more than you think? If keeping track of calories is too difficult for you, ignore it for a bit. Just get used to the idea of a food diary. After that, use the information already on the site or on packaging to log calories. Yes, it won't be accurate, but you'll get an idea. After you're comfortable with that, weigh/measure things.

Logging too much for you? Just focus on smaller portion sizes. Get used to eating less.

You don't have to jump into it all at once. Find out what's sustainable for you because if you can't keep it going more than a couple of days, it won't work. Sure it may not be as accurate as possible in the beginning, but that's okay because any sustainable change is good.

Don't bother with the scale; it's just discouraging you. Put it away, and ignore it while you build these habits. Focus on making long lasting changes instead of how much you weigh.

Also, prepare for failure. You will fall of the wagon at some point. Prepare for it, and remember that it's okay. Just get back to it the next meal/day/week.
  • xproofx
    xproofx Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Start slower if you have to. Just remember, NO ZERO DAYS. If your goal is to lose weight, aim for NO ZERO DAYS. Even if you skip one snack or only do one push-up, that counts for something. Every single day do at least one thing that gets you closer to your goal. NO ZERO DAYS.
  • CyndiRN7
    CyndiRN7 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    First I want to Thank You all for taking time to reply. I don't know how to individually respond. So, I'm going to confess here. But I log probably about 6 days of the week. I eat pretty darn healthy but I will have to really look at my portion sizes. It's just crazy I'm over 50 years on this earth and should have this down. Again Thank you :-) I'm going to take all your advice and encouraging words and do it!
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,480 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Give up alcohol. It's empty calories. And a drag on any WL program.

Oh, and wait a minute, you're on your plan a couple of days looking for losses? Rethink.
  • Sheisinlove109
    Sheisinlove109 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Get in the gym if you can. When you realize working your tail off for an hour might only burn (depending on your weight) two cookies and a soda you'll think twice. Log accurately.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    It takes a lot longer than a couple of days for results of any kind...weight loss is a very slow process, not overnight...it's consistency and trusting in the process for a long, long time...
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    CyndiRN7 wrote: »
    First I want to Thank You all for taking time to reply. I don't know how to individually respond. So, I'm going to confess here. But I log probably about 6 days of the week. I eat pretty darn healthy but I will have to really look at my portion sizes. It's just crazy I'm over 50 years on this earth and should have this down. Again Thank you :-) I'm going to take all your advice and encouraging words and do it!
    That means you've had more than 50 years to get used to bad habits! It's only fair to expect new habits to take a while to become second nature.

I grew up in a family that ate giant portions of mostly healthy food. I just have to accept that my mental image of a portion is not realistic and weigh everything. I love my food scale which allows me to put the plate on, add one food, zero it out, add the next food, and easily weigh a whole meal. I also have a set of silicon measuring cups which I use for foods I just want to quickly estimate, such as a serving of cooked pasta plus sauce.