Zumba Shoes

Options
emmaleigh47
emmaleigh47 Posts: 1,670 Member
Hey guys - as part of my cross training I started taking a Zumba class (which is a quite bit more like Hip Hop Dancing)...

Last week I twisted my ankle doing a turn move, and the instructor said it was because I should never do Zumba in running shoes.

Monday I tried to do it in socks... and my shins are sore today...

So ... apparently I need to buy some shoes... what do people recommend for Zumba?

Replies

• XxXstars9967XxX
    Options
    On my dvd's i have they are all wearing either nike shox or some black shiny converse looking shoes.
  • Sharont213
    Sharont213 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I bought Nike Mystique.. they are designed for dance style workouts..
  • ak_in_ak
    ak_in_ak Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    five fingers
  • JoceyyySmall
    JoceyyySmall Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    When I used to do Zumba I've done it in regular sneakers or a running shoe and I have also done it barefoot. Maybe try a more higher ankle supported shoe.
  • muitobem
    muitobem Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    Some Dance Sneakers...and this is what I bought:

http://www.dancewearsolutions.com/dance_shoes/sneakers/P45M.aspx
  • theba2il
    theba2il Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    I wear Merrell Barefoot shoes. They have the Vibram soles like the Vibram Five-Fingers.
  • djcon
    djcon Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    i am so glad you posted this....my knee was swollen after the last zumba class i took as well...partly because i scrubbed my hardwood and tile floors on my knees but i have noticed that my feet dont turn easily with the tennis shoes I am wearing and you could easily fall in socks....so i did an online search and saw several suggestions but before i spend that kind of money, i want to make sure they are the right ones so thanks for this post, ill be checking back...if i find anything ill post as well
  • muitobem
    Options
    I'm an instructor who has done them in regular sneakers, stocking feet and now dance sneakers...I highly recommend the dance sneakers!!
    You will hurt yourself unless you can adjust everything you're doing in regular sneakers...Too much tread and not enough slip, and you'll hurt yourself!
  • muitobem
    Options
    Get the Dance Sneakers I posted a link to on here! My knees stopped hurting after just using them 2 times!!
  • kellyscomeback
    kellyscomeback Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    If I'm in a class I've always used cross-trainers/running shoes and never had a problem. At home I wear socks so I can move my feet on the carpet better.

Look for cheerleading or dance shoes.
  • DawnOf1969
    DawnOf1969 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    This is what my Zumba instructor told me:

They sell "dance fitness" sneakers now that have more support for lateral movement and a smoother sole so your feet don't get "stuck" on the floor during the side steps and twists. Nike makes the Musique that are fairly inexpensive (well, at least in the world of Nike tennis shoes, they're fairly inexpensive....to me they still cost too much!). These are the ones I wear and love them. However, I just noticed they have a new dance trainer that looks awesome, I’ll have to try it next. They Ryka Studio D is another shoe that MANY Zumba instructors swear by and looks like they’re even cheaper than the Nikes! I know the Nikes can be found at Finish Line, Foot Action and places like that, but I’m not sure if the Rykas are sold there too or not.
  • Slimmasaurus
    Slimmasaurus Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    For Zumba (or any similar kind of exercise) you should NEVER wear running shoes, or any shoes with heavy tracks. They're just not designed for the sideways (well, all over the place!) movement you do in Zumba. Have a look at this article, it's really helpful:
    http://www.dancemania.biz/blog/what-are-the-best-shoes-for-zumba-fitness/

I have a pair of Bloch dance sneakers that I have used for hip hop, and they worked fine. I get my shoes from: http://www.dancedirect.com/uk/Category/Urban-Dancewear/Split-Sole-Sneakers/

Hope this helps :)
  • SeattleGrl
    SeattleGrl Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I wear Capezio Dance shoes but be aware there is No arch support which has been an issue for me. Zappos carries many styles.
  • djcon
    Options
    I went to the site u recommended and i like the shoes and the price....it says order a size larger...i wear a 9 and1/2 should a 10 do it
  • emmaleigh47
    emmaleigh47 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    Some Dance Sneakers...and this is what I bought:

http://www.dancewearsolutions.com/dance_shoes/sneakers/P45M.aspx

Those dance sneakers look fabulous! I can hardly wait to get them ... and they arent soo expensive that my husband will have a fit. He was not real happy when I mentioned "dance shoes" since I already spend ALOT for running shoes since I go through them about every 2-3 months now ...

My shoe size is a 10ish ... I have some shoes that are 10s and some 11s (since few ppl make 10.5) should I get an 11?
  • SageLikeTheSpice
    SageLikeTheSpice Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I prefer doing it in socks, personally, but my current zumba class doesn't let me. I can't afford a 2nd pair of workout shoes, so I just use my normal sneakers.
  • djcon
    Options
    im wondering the same thing about the size...i wear a 9 and 1/2 and wonder if 10 is good

for the person who mentioned bloch shoes...i notice that is in the uk...are their sizes the same and prices too?
  • bymelya1
    bymelya1 Posts: 34
    Options
    I use the Nike Musique for Zumba. They were recomended to me by my instructor and I love them. They are lite and comfortable for dancing.
  • mspix
    mspix Posts: 153
    Options
    bumpity-bump-bump!
  • StaceyL76
    StaceyL76 Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    I rolled my ankle doing zumba in running shoes too... my already weak ankle.. = (