10K to 10 miles by September - is this sane?

Options
I seek your amazing advice once again people!

I was running 5k's a few months ago and you guys gave me tips and tricks to get me to my first 10K! Great success, and I am now running two 9k's and a 5k every week.

New challenge...Brighton have a 10 mile run mid September. Can I do it? If so, what would you advise training wise? Increase my runs? Work on my times? I'm not out to get a time, I just want to reach the frickin finish line

Replies

• pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    10K (6.2 miles) to 10 miles by September? Why not? Increase you weekly mileage gently as well as your long run. Focus on increasing your distance. As you say, you're not looking for time, now.
  • WickedPineapple
    WickedPineapple Posts: 701 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I don't see why not. You have, what, 5-6 weeks? Just add one mile to your long run each week, which would get you there in 4 weeks. Since you have a little longer than that, you can repeat weeks (long run distance) and/or take a week for recovery (run a shorter "long" run one week).
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Increase one of your 9ks by a k or 2 each week. You don't need to have run 10 miles before the race.
  • Philtex
    Philtex Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    Good advice so far. If you are looking for more formal training, pick one of the half marathon programs. That should put you at 10 miles at just about the right time. A half (13.1) is next on your list already, right???
  • Skipper111
    Skipper111 Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    Philtex wrote: »
    Good advice so far. If you are looking for more formal training, pick one of the half marathon programs. That should put you at 10 miles at just about the right time. A half (13.1) is next on your list already, right???

This is a good plan! Hahah, as long as I survive the 10 miler I shall book in for the half
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Skipper111 wrote: »
    I seek your amazing advice once again people!

I was running 5k's a few months ago and you guys gave me tips and tricks to get me to my first 10K! Great success, and I am now running two 9k's and a 5k every week.

New challenge...Brighton have a 10 mile run mid September. Can I do it? If so, what would you advise training wise? Increase my runs? Work on my times? I'm not out to get a time, I just want to reach the frickin finish line

Bright10 is on Oct 15, which is plenty of time.

The route looks dull as Hel though. I know quite a few people that wouldn't be back to any of the Brighton races.
  • Skipper111
    Options

Bright10 is on Oct 15, which is plenty of time.

The route looks dull as Hel though. I know quite a few people that wouldn't be back to any of the Brighton races.

I know, Sussex coast run routes are sadly pretty flat
  • MeanderingMammal
    Options
    Steyning Stinger do a half marathon that I've heard good things about.
  • Skipper111
    Options
    Sorry, lost half my response.

I zone out quite a bit when I run so the route doesn't bother me.

My main concern is the organising. My friend did the marathon there in the summer and there was like 2 water stations! Shoddy
  • MeanderingMammal
    Options
    I think they ran out of bling as well.
  • Skipper111
    Options

Thanks, I shall take a look. Have you heard of Roundhill Romp? It's a 10K on the downs, pretty nice terrain and route if you don't mind the grass!

• MeanderingMammal
    Options
    Skipper111 wrote: »

Thanks, I shall take a look. Have you heard of Roundhill Romp? It's a 10K on the downs, pretty nice terrain and route if you don't mind the grass!

I haven't, but it's a fair distance away from me, Hants/ Wilts border. I'm tempted by the South Downs Marathon at some point, and I'd like to do the SDW100 eventually.

I've never run a road race, always off road, although I might do the Dorchester Marathon next year.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,402 Member
    Options
    You should be able to if you increase your mileage slowly. Aim at no more than 10% more each time for your long runs and you should be able to get there easily.

I'm currently training for a half at the end of September (Scottish Half) and I'm at 14km now. Only 7 more to go. It should be possible if I don't get too bored with my training route, which is the only flat out and back route I have available.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    If you're able to run 10km now getting up to 16 in 6 weeks is very doable, adding 1 km per week to your long run will get you there and keep you well within the suggested maximum 10% increase in volume week over week.

You may want to slow down you pace a little to reflect the longer distance.
  • rubrink
    rubrink Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Go for it, you should be fine. Just add a mile a week
  • Skipper111
    edited November 2017
    Options