Water Intake

Options
Rhayemun
Rhayemun Posts: 31 Member
This is so overwhelming for me. There is just SO much information and I don't know what's accurate. I'm always thirsty and I've been tested for diabetes. I'm not even pre diabetic. I have been drinking 120oz of water a day and I am just worried I'm drinking too much. I am 5'4" 222lbs and I live in Las Vegas, NV. I have been moderately active with about 1 hour of exercise a day for the past 3 weeks... I just don't want to make myself sick! If you have any insight, I appreciate it. Thanks :)

Replies

• 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I am guesing it is really hot where you live. It might just be that you are sweating your butt off all the time.

Unless you are having additional issues I would not worry too much.
  • BarneyRubbleMD
    BarneyRubbleMD Posts: 1,092 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    @Rhayemun ,

I'll just mention a few things...I drink about 140 oz of water daily but I'm also on some medications (some for diabetes, some for high blood pressure) that require that I stay well hydrated.

1. you live in Las Vegas, NV and it's hot & dry there, so, if you spend any time outside you'll need to stay well hydrated. When I spend time outside in the heat (I'm from Maryland), I drink even more than my usual 140 oz. When I consume more sodium (from added salt or salty foods), I drink more than usual. If I exercise (even just indoors), I drink more than usual. My thirst helps guide me without really thinking about how many oz of water I'm drinking each day.

2. how were you tested for diabetes? if it was by a fasting glucose test (typically done in the morning), that's practically a useless test for diabetes--it missed my diabetes diagnosis by 10 years since my morning fasting blood glucose was fine for a long time BUT my 2-hour post-meal blood glucose levels were very high (200 mg/dl or more)--I just never knew it until I got a glucometer & started checking after each meal but by the next morning, my blood glucose would be back to normal again. It just took a long time until my blood glucose remained elevated until the following morning (& fasting all night) & had a fasting glucose test scheduled. I look back now & WISH I had gotten a glucometer way back then. If you really want to know if you are diabetic or pre-diabetic (or "getting there"), pick up a glucometer at your local pharmacy (typically about $20--my CVS Advanced Glucometer cost that). The test strips are on sale often enough that one can stock up if needed (in quantities of 200, they are about 20 cents each, less if on sale--I typically stock up when I can get them for 15 cents each like I did today). These days I aim to keep my peak post-meal blood glucose #'s under 140 mg/dl and have them back down to around 100 mg/dl by the start of my next meal.
  • PeteG7606
    PeteG7606 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Your body wants to replace what its lost. Drink when you're thirsty. That being said, you need to do a sweat test so that you know how much water you should be consuming during your workout. Research "sweat test" easy to do. Most importantly, you can "overhydrate" cause a serious medical condition called Hyponatremia. Common problem with marathon runners and why a lot of them collapse. You essentially drink too much water and dilute your salt level below a normal level. Have your diabetes checked again and start taking in some electrolytes with your fluids such as a sports drink.
  • Treece68
    Treece68 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    Yes do not forget about salt you need that if you are drinking a lot of water because you will lose it when you pee. Try a coconut water for natural electrolytes.