Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Target Calories for Breakfast

mrhappy
mrhappy Posts: 145 Member
edited September 19 in Food and Nutrition
There's been a lot of talk about breakfast lately, so hopefully some of you have ideas. Is there a min recommended number of calories for breakfast to kickstart your body into gear?

I ask because I'm trying to net 1,200 calories a day, after counting exercise. My breakfasts though - which I eat every day within about 30 min of waking up - all tend to be between 200-300 calories. Yet, I seem to recall seeing somewhere that if you didn't ingest at least 400 your body wouldn't get the signal to "wake \up" so to speak.

Thoughts?

:glasses:

Replies

• mrhappy
    mrhappy Posts: 145 Member
    There's been a lot of talk about breakfast lately, so hopefully some of you have ideas. Is there a min recommended number of calories for breakfast to kickstart your body into gear?

I ask because I'm trying to net 1,200 calories a day, after counting exercise. My breakfasts though - which I eat every day within about 30 min of waking up - all tend to be between 200-300 calories. Yet, I seem to recall seeing somewhere that if you didn't ingest at least 400 your body wouldn't get the signal to "wake \up" so to speak.

Thoughts?

• kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    1200 cals is as low as a woman should go caloriewise. I believe 1800 is as low as a man should go, although I could be off on that. EIther way, 1200 net cals is too low for you Mr. Happy. That said, I get about 1400 cals a day and I usually spend about 300 of those on breakfast. :drinker:
  • mrsbuzz
    mrsbuzz Posts: 576 Member
    I struggle with getting a good breakfast for about 300 calories. I always eat over 300 or under then I am hungry again in like an hour.

Like today I ate oatmeal, but I used more calories in the brown sugar then the oatmeal. UGGHH!!! I love flavor!!!! I not sure what to eat, because I am so picky!!!:flowerforyou:

Hi Mr. Happy!!
  • spicy618
    spicy618 Posts: 2,114 Member
    I agree with kerrie.

For me, I hardly ever eat less than 400 calories for breakfast... being at work by 7 am has alot to do with it. Just the milk in my coffee is 130 calories (2% fat).

You have lost some pounds Mr. Happy... looks like your doing something right :wink:
  • havingitall
    havingitall Posts: 3,728 Member
    my breakfast is 441 calories - organic yogurt on top of strawberries and blueberries, a piece of Ace bakery organic granary toast with organic peanut butter washed down with a cup of hot water with lemon squeezed in

It fills me up every time
  • Minerva
    Minerva Posts: 79 Member

Thoughts?

I've lost 4 pounds in 5 days and the ONLY change I made was changing how many calories I eat at breakfast.
    A few days ago Jelybe posted this link :
    http://health.msn.com/weight-loss/articlepage.aspx?cp-documentid=100230704
    When I checked it out I found that my usual 200 calorie breakfast (milk for coffee, 1/2 mini bagel, 1 tbsp low fat cream cheese) was too low and 450 calories (milk for coffee, english muffin, egg, thin slice canadian bacon, slice provolone cheese) would be better.
    I had started to go up the scale in December and upped my mileage trying to get it off and couldn't figure out why I couldn't get it off. I've now lost 4 pounds in 5 days and the ONLY change I made was changing how many calories I eat at breakfast. I exercise for about 2 hours every day between running (6 miles 3Xweek),walking my crazy dogs(14miles7Xweek), and TaeKwon Do, Escrima and sword practice.
    I do have to get up a little earlier to eat and do my runs because it is hard to run on a full tummy but the weight loss is so worth it!
  • MY goal is between 300 - 400 calories for breakfast. That's 1/3 of my total calories. That includes my afterworkout smoothie. I ususally eat oatmeal, a little sugar, and a croissant. Then I have a fruit snack or yogurt between breakfast and lunch.
  • hgam1
    hgam1 Posts: 237 Member

Thoughts?

I suppose depending on how much you want to lose and your stats 1200 might not be too bad but watch you are not overdoing it. Saying that if you are a cereal man, you can get away with between 161 to 204 calories for b/fast + a piece of fruit or yoghurt. Weetabix and dry fruit and skimmed milk will take you slightly over 210 cal. Most non sugared cereal however with s/milk will def see you under 200cals.
  • 1Corinthians13
    1Corinthians13 Posts: 5,296 Member
    I don't eat that many calories at all for breakfast. Usually around 200 unless I'm making a big breakfast on the weekend.

But I agree with the first poster who said 1200 is low for a man. That's as low as I can go, at 5'2" and 110 pounds. That's a healthy amount for me. I would think that you need more than that to be healthy.
  • kpgk
    kpgk Posts: 3
    hi mrhappy
    1200 is low i have 1900 a day but don't always use them up most day i have only 1600, breakfast i like it have about 400 because i work very hard and i will keep on eating if i don't fill my self in the AM. good luck
  • thecountrydays
    thecountrydays Posts: 17 Member
    Man, i would be no help in this area seeing how i have only been eating bout 80 calories for breakfast and it takes me alot to eat that, but it makes sense to think that if i might eat a lil bigger breakfast i wouldn't be hungry later on.
  • I usually stay around 300 calories for breakfast. I've given up drinking coffee and soda's so my breakfast consists of (on average) 4 egg whites (which is only 74 calories, compared to one whole egg which is 70 calories), a slice of cheese, and either water or skim milk. This always keeps me full until lunch because both the egg whites and cheese have lots of protein.
  • porka29
    porka29 Posts: 868 Member
    I'm on 1200 with mfp, but I also signed bf up and log his calories too, before exercise he is at 1460. I often have to be careful cause he needs add ons that I don't get to keep him on target.
  • singfree
    singfree Posts: 1,591 Member
    My typical breakfast is about 250 cals.
    Oatmeal (not instant), with:
    1/3 cup canned pumpkin (natural, no sugar added, high in fiber)
    Milled flax seed
    Cinnamon
    1/2 cup light vanilla soy milk
    Splenda

This makes a huge bowl.
    Very filling, tastes great!

Wash it down with water or green tea.
  • Generally i spend about 300 calories for breakfast, give or take depending on life :)
  • jessmomof3
    jessmomof3 Posts: 4,590 Member
    I always aim for around 400- 500 cals. I exercise in the morning first of all, and I have found that eating a filling breakfast (good carb, good protein, good fat) keeps me going all day. If I eat a really light breakfast it ends up backfiring for me later (usually over eating at lunch or in the afternoon).

I also agree that 1,200 cals is low. You can change the settings and make sure you are eating your exercise cals as well!

Jess
This discussion has been closed.