Target Calories for Breakfast

Options
There's been a lot of talk about breakfast lately, so hopefully some of you have ideas. Is there a min recommended number of calories for breakfast to kickstart your body into gear?

I ask because I'm trying to net 1,200 calories a day, after counting exercise. My breakfasts though - which I eat every day within about 30 min of waking up - all tend to be between 200-300 calories. Yet, I seem to recall seeing somewhere that if you didn't ingest at least 400 your body wouldn't get the signal to "wake \up" so to speak.

Thoughts?

:glasses:

Replies

• mrhappy
    mrhappy Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    There's been a lot of talk about breakfast lately, so hopefully some of you have ideas. Is there a min recommended number of calories for breakfast to kickstart your body into gear?

I ask because I'm trying to net 1,200 calories a day, after counting exercise. My breakfasts though - which I eat every day within about 30 min of waking up - all tend to be between 200-300 calories. Yet, I seem to recall seeing somewhere that if you didn't ingest at least 400 your body wouldn't get the signal to "wake \up" so to speak.

Thoughts?

• kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    1200 cals is as low as a woman should go caloriewise. I believe 1800 is as low as a man should go, although I could be off on that. EIther way, 1200 net cals is too low for you Mr. Happy. That said, I get about 1400 cals a day and I usually spend about 300 of those on breakfast. :drinker:
  • mrsbuzz
    mrsbuzz Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    I struggle with getting a good breakfast for about 300 calories. I always eat over 300 or under then I am hungry again in like an hour.

Like today I ate oatmeal, but I used more calories in the brown sugar then the oatmeal. UGGHH!!! I love flavor!!!! I not sure what to eat, because I am so picky!!!:flowerforyou:

Hi Mr. Happy!!
  • spicy618
    spicy618 Posts: 2,117 Member
    Options
    I agree with kerrie.

For me, I hardly ever eat less than 400 calories for breakfast... being at work by 7 am has alot to do with it. Just the milk in my coffee is 130 calories (2% fat).

You have lost some pounds Mr. Happy... looks like your doing something right :wink:
  • havingitall
    havingitall Posts: 3,728 Member
    Options
    my breakfast is 441 calories - organic yogurt on top of strawberries and blueberries, a piece of Ace bakery organic granary toast with organic peanut butter washed down with a cup of hot water with lemon squeezed in

It fills me up every time
  • Minerva
    Minerva Posts: 79 Member
    Options

Thoughts?

I've lost 4 pounds in 5 days and the ONLY change I made was changing how many calories I eat at breakfast.
    A few days ago Jelybe posted this link :
    http://health.msn.com/weight-loss/articlepage.aspx?cp-documentid=100230704
    When I checked it out I found that my usual 200 calorie breakfast (milk for coffee, 1/2 mini bagel, 1 tbsp low fat cream cheese) was too low and 450 calories (milk for coffee, english muffin, egg, thin slice canadian bacon, slice provolone cheese) would be better.
    I had started to go up the scale in December and upped my mileage trying to get it off and couldn't figure out why I couldn't get it off. I've now lost 4 pounds in 5 days and the ONLY change I made was changing how many calories I eat at breakfast. I exercise for about 2 hours every day between running (6 miles 3Xweek),walking my crazy dogs(14miles7Xweek), and TaeKwon Do, Escrima and sword practice.
    I do have to get up a little earlier to eat and do my runs because it is hard to run on a full tummy but the weight loss is so worth it!
  • lovedbyGod2
    Options
    MY goal is between 300 - 400 calories for breakfast. That's 1/3 of my total calories. That includes my afterworkout smoothie. I ususally eat oatmeal, a little sugar, and a croissant. Then I have a fruit snack or yogurt between breakfast and lunch.
  • hgam1
    hgam1 Posts: 237 Member
    Options

Thoughts?

I suppose depending on how much you want to lose and your stats 1200 might not be too bad but watch you are not overdoing it. Saying that if you are a cereal man, you can get away with between 161 to 204 calories for b/fast + a piece of fruit or yoghurt. Weetabix and dry fruit and skimmed milk will take you slightly over 210 cal. Most non sugared cereal however with s/milk will def see you under 200cals.
  • 1Corinthians13
    1Corinthians13 Posts: 5,296 Member
    Options
    I don't eat that many calories at all for breakfast. Usually around 200 unless I'm making a big breakfast on the weekend.

But I agree with the first poster who said 1200 is low for a man. That's as low as I can go, at 5'2" and 110 pounds. That's a healthy amount for me. I would think that you need more than that to be healthy.
  • kpgk
    kpgk Posts: 3
    Options
    hi mrhappy
    1200 is low i have 1900 a day but don't always use them up most day i have only 1600, breakfast i like it have about 400 because i work very hard and i will keep on eating if i don't fill my self in the AM. good luck
  • thecountrydays
    thecountrydays Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Man, i would be no help in this area seeing how i have only been eating bout 80 calories for breakfast and it takes me alot to eat that, but it makes sense to think that if i might eat a lil bigger breakfast i wouldn't be hungry later on.
  • lacijae
    Options
    I usually stay around 300 calories for breakfast. I've given up drinking coffee and soda's so my breakfast consists of (on average) 4 egg whites (which is only 74 calories, compared to one whole egg which is 70 calories), a slice of cheese, and either water or skim milk. This always keeps me full until lunch because both the egg whites and cheese have lots of protein.
  • porka29
    porka29 Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    I'm on 1200 with mfp, but I also signed bf up and log his calories too, before exercise he is at 1460. I often have to be careful cause he needs add ons that I don't get to keep him on target.
  • singfree
    singfree Posts: 1,591 Member
    Options
    My typical breakfast is about 250 cals.
    Oatmeal (not instant), with:
    1/3 cup canned pumpkin (natural, no sugar added, high in fiber)
    Milled flax seed
    Cinnamon
    1/2 cup light vanilla soy milk
    Splenda

This makes a huge bowl.
    Very filling, tastes great!

Wash it down with water or green tea.
  • sunshine_girl
    Options
    Generally i spend about 300 calories for breakfast, give or take depending on life :)
  • jessmomof3
    jessmomof3 Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    I always aim for around 400- 500 cals. I exercise in the morning first of all, and I have found that eating a filling breakfast (good carb, good protein, good fat) keeps me going all day. If I eat a really light breakfast it ends up backfiring for me later (usually over eating at lunch or in the afternoon).

I also agree that 1,200 cals is low. You can change the settings and make sure you are eating your exercise cals as well!

Jess