Treadmill vs. the Eliptical

Options
Cathy92
Cathy92 Posts: 312 Member
Which cardio machine burns more calories? AT my gym the eliptical has arm movement as well as leg and always seems to burn way more calories than the treadmill, at least the readout is less. My doctor thinks the treadmill is better for you as it's a weight bearing exercise and she says the eliptical isn't. I usually, strive for a certain heart rate and try to keep it there no matter what machine I'm on. I want to burn calories and not waste my time...any ideas are appreciated.

Replies

• highfiveornot
    Options
    personally, i like to do 20 minutes on the treadmill and then 15 on the elliptical...
  • cabul3
    cabul3 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    i prefer the elliptical cuz it's easier on my body! similar movement, less impact
  • findingfit23
    findingfit23 Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    I burn the most on the treadmill walking on a high incline. I can walk slow and still get a great burn.
  • bethdris
    bethdris Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    When I was heavier I liked the elliptical..it seemed easier on my body. Now that I've lost some weight, I prefer the treadmill. Maybe its' because I have to work harder to get results in the same time frame. Once we get our elliptical fixed, Ill be switching back and forth.
  • Cathy92
    Options
    i prefer the elliptical cuz it's easier on my body! similar movement, less impact

That's why I started using it in the first place.
  • MikaylaMiller
    Options
    You can get an awesome workout on the eliptical! I find the treadmill is super hard on the knees.
  • sharoniballoni
    sharoniballoni Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Treadmill burns more than elliptical. The elliptical uses momentum to help you. Treadmill is all you. My old trainer used to prefer that I do the stairmaster over either of them, though. He said he'd rather I do 10 minutes on the stairmaster than 30 minutes on the elliptical. Either way, do whichever one will make you work out. If you like elliptical best, just do that. Good luck.
  • candicemaechling
    candicemaechling Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I burn more in an equal time on the eliptical with more and more resistance to keep heart rate up
  • Lantern823
    Lantern823 Posts: 115
    Options

she hit the nail right on the head...i consider the treadmill the devil, the elliptical is far less evil
  • iamhealingmyself
    iamhealingmyself Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    I noticed the difference in machines as well, using my own personal heart rate monitor as a guide since our elliptical didn't have one and you couldn't personalize data to get calorie burn. I'm not sure if it's related to arm movement, guess that depends on what you do on each machine to move your body. I use the elliptical with and without arms and do the same on the treadmill depending on if I'm walking hard or walking fast.

How could the elliptical not be a weight bearing machine? you are holding up your body - ie. bearing weight so any movement you do is weight bearing unless you're lying in bed and even that I guess would count for arms and legs unless you're just stretching. I'm sure there's more to her reasoning but it seems a little weird for me.

I say find what works best for you and does the least amount of damage in the long run. I agree that my 20-30 minutes need to count and if I can double my burn simply by changing equipment, I'll give it a shot.
  • yeabby
    yeabby Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    My understanding is that on the treadmill you will more likely burn calories and build muscle because it is a load bearing exercise. The elliptical will burn calories but less muscle will be built.
  • Cathy92
    Options
    Treadmill burns more than elliptical. The elliptical uses momentum to help you. Treadmill is all you. My old trainer used to prefer that I do the stairmaster over either of them, though. He said he'd rather I do 10 minutes on the stairmaster than 30 minutes on the elliptical. Either way, do whichever one will make you work out. If you like elliptical best, just do that. Good luck.
    [/quote

As I get into better shape, I'd like to do the stairmaster. Thanks for the info.
  • Cathy92
    Options
    I noticed the difference in machines as well, using my own personal heart rate monitor as a guide since our elliptical didn't have one and you couldn't personalize data to get calorie burn. I'm not sure if it's related to arm movement, guess that depends on what you do on each machine to move your body. I use the elliptical with and without arms and do the same on the treadmill depending on if I'm walking hard or walking fast.

How could the elliptical not be a weight bearing machine? you are holding up your body - ie. bearing weight so any movement you do is weight bearing unless you're lying in bed and even that I guess would count for arms and legs unless you're just stretching. I'm sure there's more to her reasoning but it seems a little weird for me.

I say find what works best for you and does the least amount of damage in the long run. I agree that my 20-30 minutes need to count and if I can double my burn simply by changing equipment, I'll give it a shot.

She also thinks that biking is not weight bearing either...she said I have to jump up and down and lift weights to actually get the benefits of weight bearing exercise (which I need in my old age). She told me to try dancing. I do like to bike and I like the eliptical, but have never wanted to 'jog'.
  • Cathy92
    Options
    My understanding is that on the treadmill you will more likely burn calories and build muscle because it is a load bearing exercise. The elliptical will burn calories but less muscle will be built.
    [/quote

that makes sense to me...I guess I could try bouncing up and down while I'm doing the eliptical! lol
  • Womona
    Womona Posts: 1,634 Member
    Options
    OK, I'm putting my personal trainer hat on here....

I've always found that the most cals are burned on the elliptical. I've used my heart rate monitor on it, a treadmill and the bike. I favor the elliptical because the arm movements get and keep you at your target HR faster, plus it doesn't stress your joints the way pounding on the treadmill does. Yes, walking (treadmill or regular) is considered weight bearing, but honestly, I'd do a regular strength workout and then use the elliptical for cardio - trains your heart and burns the calories that are stored in your fat cells.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    If I want a calorie burn, I'll get on the arc trainer.... or as I call it, the Russian Squat Dancing Machine. That thing is BRUTAL!
  • Cathy92
    Options
    Womona, thanks for your answer. YOur findings using the HRM are really interesting. I don't want to end up with bad knees (like some of my friends). I think I'll continue using the eliptical and make sure that I do enough weight training to keep healthy. I really need to burn the calories stored in my fat cells.

I also wondered, about 'fat burn' and 'cardio burn' according to the machines...it seems that fat burn is done at a slower, less strenuous pace than cardio burn. Does that mean if you always work out to your maximum heart rate that you won't burn as many calories as on a 'fat burn' setting?. Sorry if this sounds dumb, but I've always wondered.
  • Lady_Layla
    Lady_Layla Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I burn more on the elliptical than I do on any other piece of equipment at the gym. I love how it REALLY gets my heart rate up and doesn't hurt my joints.

:-)
  • demonNIИ
    demonNIИ Posts: 187
    Options
    I like both but some days I just can not do the treadmill having lower back shooting pains occasionally only get those pains seldom but when I do it's off to the elliptical for me.
  • JustBreathe418
    JustBreathe418 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    I have a Bodybugg and according to that, I burn a significant more amount of calories on the treadmill than the elliptical