Trying to choose a protein powder

Options
After tracking my macros for a week or so I've discovered that I struggle to hit my protein target. MFP suggests that I should eat 89 g of protein but usually I only eat 50 - 70 g.
I don't eat meat so I've been trying to eat lots of humous, cottage cheese, eggs, beans lentils and fish but I still haven't hit that goal so I've decided a protein powder would probably help me a lot.
I've been looking on amazon and I'm a bit overwhelmed by all the choice. Whey, hemp, pea, brown rice, flavoured, unflavoured...
I don't know what the best one to get is. Also some of them are super expensive! I'm only really willing to pay up to £15 for a kilo. If anyone has any advice on this topic, it would be much appreciated.

Replies

• cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    Myprotein/TheProteinWorks/GoNutrition/Bulk Powders

All provide good quality no frills whey protein at a reasonable cost. They all have constantly changing offers so you should never have to pay full price.

For example the discount code 'save30' will get you 30% off at gonutrition, making 2.5kg of whey protein 80 about £25.
  • tigrig
    tigrig Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    Honestly for a good price and great taste bpi has good options. Also check for deals on Groupon. They were running a deal on optimum nutrition protein, 5lbs for $25 us. They always have deals on supplements
  • Rusty740
    Rusty740 Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    I get the Myprotein ones online, you can use discount codes etc. I'm not going to try to steer you to one brand or another, except to tell you that they all give you protein so it is absolutely fine to buy a cheaper one.

I found that buying an unflavoured whey isolate at the bulk store gave me more options as far as other foods I could mix it with (popcorn) or use it in baking bread, muffins or cookies, while the flavoured ones are generally much better for mixing with liquids because they have additives that help reduce clumping.

If you care, the flavoured ones keep their calories down by using artificial sweeteners like stevia and sucralose. It doesn't bother me, but if you are making this a big part of your diet, maybe you do care.

I'd suggest that the small amount of extra protein could be better had by eating more food with protein. Just my opinion. If you are looking for 20 more grams of protein per day I'd say you're better off eating another 3/4 cup of cottage cheese than you are drinking protein powder. Powder is much more convenient though.

If you haven't incorporated Edamame beans into your diet, they are very high in protein, just a thought. Oh, I see you eat fish, a can of tuna will give you lots of protein, but you probably know that already.
  • VeronicaA76
    VeronicaA76 Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    czmiles926 wrote: »
    After tracking my macros for a week or so I've discovered that I struggle to hit my protein target. MFP suggests that I should eat 89 g of protein but usually I only eat 50 - 70 g.
    I don't eat meat so I've been trying to eat lots of humous, cottage cheese, eggs, beans lentils and fish but I still haven't hit that goal so I've decided a protein powder would probably help me a lot.
    I've been looking on amazon and I'm a bit overwhelmed by all the choice. Whey, hemp, pea, brown rice, flavoured, unflavoured...
    I don't know what the best one to get is. Also some of them are super expensive! I'm only really willing to pay up to £15 for a kilo. If anyone has any advice on this topic, it would be much appreciated.

Do some research on the best ones for each type (whey, plant, egg white...etc). As far as cost - you really do get what you pay for. A lot of cheap protein powders have cheap (substandard) ingredients and lack many protiens, such as Syntha 6 (it's also chocked full of artificial sweeteners). I take S.A.N. plant based protien powder as I find it nearly complete in it's protien make-up and tastes good. I get bloated and have diarrhea from whey/casien powders (not really good if you get sick from it).
  • evilokc
    evilokc Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I like and use "carnivore". its a beef based protein vs. whey which is more common. beef protein is supposed to absorb better. its also tasty. I go back and forth between the vanilla caramel and chocolate flavors. I mix them with 2% milk. best tasting protein ive had.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    evilokc wrote: »
    I like and use "carnivore". its a beef based protein vs. whey which is more common. beef protein is supposed to absorb better. its also tasty. I go back and forth between the vanilla caramel and chocolate flavors. I mix them with 2% milk. best tasting protein ive had.

It doesn't. Whey is the most bio-available protein source.
  • rhonda999
    rhonda999 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I use protein powder but also salted, dry-roasted edamame has lots of protein and good source of fiber. I'm usually hitting close to 90 in protein a day.
  • BoxerBrawler
    BoxerBrawler Posts: 2,032 Member
    Options
    I am using a whey protein right now because of competition but usually I use all/any of the Vega products. I also like Plant Fusion but it's a little hard to find in a store.
  • Wolfger
    Wolfger Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    I recommend never just having protein powder alone. I mix it into a green smoothie, you get the flavor of the smoothie and the benefit of protein. I also recommend protein bars. There's some good ones out there. Kirkland is great, but probably not available in your area. Combat makes some tasty bars (I've got White Chocolate Raspberry and Coconut Chocolate currently. Rx Bars are also good, and quite a bit different flavor/texture from the Combat bars.
  • donkey9512
    donkey9512 Posts: 60 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Protein bars should be classified as candy. They will make you fat! At least that's been my experience. I find they tend to be sweetened and expensive. You can make your own protein snack balls and cook them at avery low heat in the oven. Just make a dough with whey protein and greek yougurt and roll balls.
  • czmiles926
    czmiles926 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I think I'll follow some of the advice and try and increase my protein intake by eating more high protein foods instead of a protein powder (my mum was also against the idea of a protein powder because of how artificial they are).
    I've started having a fried egg with my breakfast and I'll look into the Edamame beans - I'd never heard of them before!
  • joelartygreenwood
    joelartygreenwood Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Egg whites (see https://www.tesco.com/groceries/product/details/default.aspx?id=266552250 for half a kilo) can add protein without anything else really, to minimize extra calories (for me). I have a cup of egg whites with 2 eggs in the morning. But I really like eggs.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    I get hemp or pea protein. On Amazon, if I don't have any other choice, at Trader Joe preferably, or at TJ Maxx if I see it. I add so much other stuff to it, I never can differentiate its taste.

I always get plain, unflavored.
  • jseams1234
    jseams1234 Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    czmiles926 wrote: »
    Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I think I'll follow some of the advice and try and increase my protein intake by eating more high protein foods instead of a protein powder (my mum was also against the idea of a protein powder because of how artificial they are).
    I've started having a fried egg with my breakfast and I'll look into the Edamame beans - I'd never heard of them before!

Whey isolates are artificial? lol
  • mndamon
    mndamon Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    ON Whey has been my go to for probably 4 years now. The extreme milk chocolate flavor is about the best I've tried. Whole foods would obviously be the preferred route but I can't ever seem to hit my goal without supplementing protein powder.
  • orangegato
    orangegato Posts: 6,570 Member
    Options
    Orgain.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,979 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Just buy the brand that offers the most grams of protein per serving with the lowest cals and at the lowest price.

In my experience this has been Muscle Milk Cytosport which you can get a 6# bag for just $40 or $6.67/# at Costco and MyProtein which you can get online in up to 11# bags BUT it's only cheap enough to buy when you can get it on sale for about $65 or $5.90/# (as you can right now). The current 35% discount code is "Chance."

See: https://us.myprotein.com/sports-nutrition/impact-whey-isolate/10852482.html?variation=11276659
  • PurpleLavender77
    PurpleLavender77 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I use Isagenix now, but I have also used Chike Nutrition and i liked it. You can buy it online. Multiple flavors and decent pricing. I think the protein shakes by GNC are decent if memory serves me!

I also like Shakelogy and ItWorks Protein powders, and I have tried those in the past. I haven't had much luck with the ones over the counter as I am picky about taste, but that being said you can put stuff in them to help the flavor if you buy something you don't like. Tons of recipes online.

Bottom line find something you like and feel comfortable with. There are a TON of choices out there.
  • VeronicaA76
    Options
    If you have no idea what you like or what suits you. Go to a health food or supplement store. Find the single serving sizes and get those. Try to get a good variety (whey, plant based, egg white based...etc) Sure it's a bit more costly per serving than the tub, but you won't run the risk of spending $40 on something that you don't like or worse, leaves you feeling bloated or sick (whey protein powder does that to me).
  • VeronicaA76
    Options
    donkey9512 wrote: »
    Protein bars should be classified as candy. They will make you fat! At least that's been my experience. I find they tend to be sweetened and expensive. You can make your own protein snack balls and cook them at avery low heat in the oven. Just make a dough with whey protein and greek yougurt and roll balls.

Protein bars do not make you fat. Calorie surplus does that. If you eat very clean and workout a lot (cardio and weights), you can find yourself way to calorie deficient and need an extra 300 calories a day than your normal meals provide. This is where protien bars come in so handy, especially the ones specifically designed for people who work out a lot.