Late night snacks are killing me!

Options
I get up and do 5am kickboxing, making sure I get plenty of protein afterwards. I eat another 4-5 x's during the day, to keep me metabolism up. As soon as I tuck in for the night, I want ice cream, granola, yogurt, sweets, etc.. does anyone else get the nighttime munchies? How do you handle your urges? I'd love any insight possible. Thanks!

Replies

• mrvikingman
    mrvikingman Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I do as well. I just try to eat reasonably healthy stuff late at night to satisfy. Grapes, berries, frozen fruit bars, yogurt, some cheese, tuna & hot sauce, etc. Helps kill the craving while being better for me than a whole frozen pizza, which is what I REALLY want :smiley:
  • Joanna2012B
    Joanna2012B Posts: 1,448 Member
    Options
    I am not sure what eating another 4-5x's has to do with keeping your metabolism "up". What are is your calorie intake? Do you still have calories left before bed to have a snack? As long as you are staying in a deficit I say eat something before bed.
  • Old_Cat_Lady
    Old_Cat_Lady Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    Do you eat dinner at 5pm? And go to sleep at 10pm? Try eating dinner later?
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    I use part of my calorie budget to have a post-dinner snack.
  • richardpatient
    richardpatient Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    My answer to this problem is to eat lentils twice a day, which fill you up and keep the hunger pangs away. And make sure you have a snack set aside to eat during the evening. I have 30g of pretzels and a cube of dark chocolate, and an apple. Then go to bed.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    Eat less meals during the day, and save calories for the evening. (your metabolism doesn't stay "up" from many meals a day). Whether it's a bigger evening meal, or some snacks, you'll probably feel more satisfied.
  • need2belean
    need2belean Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I get up and do 5am kickboxing, making sure I get plenty of protein afterwards. I eat another 4-5 x's during the day, to keep me metabolism up. As soon as I tuck in for the night, I want ice cream, granola, yogurt, sweets, etc.. does anyone else get the nighttime munchies? How do you handle your urges? I'd love any insight possible. Thanks!

I make a protein shake and sip on it until bed. The fact that it's thicker and takes longer to eat than say granola or chips, helps me fight the urge. Once I'm in bed, I'm in bed and I have water to get me through any last minute cravings before I fall asleep.
  • ShelbyNeen
    ShelbyNeen Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem. Just starting this program and am finding it hard to have extra calories to use at the end of the day. After some poking around on the internet I settled on a few late night snacks that have some protein and keep my stomach from keeping me awake. 1 apple with a spoonful of peanut butter, turkey slices wrapped in bib lettuce, corn flakes are easy to digest and are less than 200 calories per bowl - adding a little milk will add protein and tryptophan. The fat free greek yogurt or string cheese also give you the tryptophan sleep aid.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I save calories for night. I don't eat breakfast until I actually get hungry (about 9:30), lunch around 1:00, snack around 3:00, dinner between 6:00 and 8:00 depending on what activities we have going on, then dessert before bed.

BTW, you can't affect your metabolism. It is what it is.

ETA: Also, go to bed earlier. Can't eat if you're sleeping.
  • ShelbyNeen
    ShelbyNeen Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    71b078zipdhl.jpg
    Protein for weight loss :smile:
  • bigguyreed
    bigguyreed Posts: 64 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I buy Adkins snacks, I buy the lowest carb ones. It really help me with my sweet tooth at night. Sometimes I don't have one, I just know that I have them handy.
  • ManBehindTheMask
    ManBehindTheMask Posts: 615 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Time your meals better so that you eat closer to bed time. If you're full, you're far less likely to crave late night snacks
  • designer77
    designer77 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm so glad someone else posted about this!!! I snack and watch Netflix even though I spent two hours at the gym earlier in the evening. I don't want to sabotage my efforts, but I like Doritoes and Cheesey popcorn and maybe a glass of wine later. Grr...
  • kellyjellybellyjelly
    kellyjellybellyjelly Posts: 9,480 Member
    Options
    designer77 wrote: »
    I'm so glad someone else posted about this!!! I snack and watch Netflix even though I spent two hours at the gym earlier in the evening. I don't want to sabotage my efforts, but I like Doritoes and Cheesey popcorn and maybe a glass of wine later. Grr...

Do you eat any of your exercise calories back?

If you know you like to snack at night set aside a few hundred calories extra for snacks & eat lighter throughout the day if you find you're not hungry.
  • DavieBoyB
    DavieBoyB Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I like to put my evening snacks in to some very small bowls, it helps me feel like I've had more
  • aim1201
    aim1201 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I work late from home office and night eating is a def issue.... I TRY to brush my teeth when kids go to bed at 8.... As a signal nope can't eat anymore! When I remember it helps even when I'm working past midnight, somehow the minty flossed teeth don't blend with whatever I'd likely crave. Good luck
  • rakshamv
    rakshamv Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I make my own sugar free protein, dates, oatmeal bars and make em chewy with dried cranberries etc. When the sugar munchies strike, I take a small bar and coz it's chewy it takes time and I am both tired and satiated. It works for me.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    rakshamv wrote: »
    I make my own sugar free protein, dates, oatmeal bars and make em chewy with dried cranberries etc. When the sugar munchies strike, I take a small bar and coz it's chewy it takes time and I am both tired and satiated. It works for me.

They may be delicious energy bars and fulfil a need for you, but definitely not sugar free...
  • MilesAddie
    MilesAddie Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I'll only speak to what works for me:

I literally eat around 1/5 of my daily calories within 1 hour before bed, sometimes in bed. I plan my meals that way. I tried eating small meals throughout the day, eating dinner later, yada yada. Still needed to eat late. I was concerned at first because I had heard so much about not eating late at night, but I'm losing at a pretty decent rate and feel satiated throughout the day.