Some Good Advice from Bob Greene

Options
I am not one to jum on anyone's bandwagon but I like to read about weight loss, nutrition, exercise. Currently reading Bob Greene's "Get With the Program". There are a few things he's saying that make a lot of sense:

So many people just want to talk about changing but when it comes right down to it, doing the hard work or making the tough decisions they prefer to offer an excuse why they must continue living their lives just as they are. If you have excuses, you're not ready, plain and simple.

Losing weight the right way- through strengthening your body, gradually boosting your metabolism, and improving your eating habits takes time. Powerful results in any are of your life are always best accomplished over time in small increments. Losing weight is no exception. Must have a long term view.

You will experience setbacks. Everyone does. Look at them as a challenge and a natural part of your progress. If you can overcome your setbacks and reach your goals despite them, you have shown true strength, character, discipline, and determination. Your ultimate sense of accomplishment will be that much greater. Shrug off "bad" days. Maintain a positive attitude and focus on today.

........ As I said some goodadvice that may seem basic but sometimes good to have reminders to re-charge or strengthen that drive!!!

Replies

• lbeasey
    lbeasey Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Great post...
  • iamhealingmyself
    iamhealingmyself Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    Excellent thoughts no matter what stage of the game you're at. And as for the "basic"ness of what you posted, remember the rule is KISS - keep it simple, sillly (I don't like the use of stupid in that acronym) so that fits perfectly!!

Thanks for sharing!
  • kathrynkatana
    kathrynkatana Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Good post. Thanks for sharing.
  • TazzytheMotivator
    TazzytheMotivator Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    Excellent advice and thank you for taking the time to post it

S.W 350 H.W 369
    C.W 215
    G.W 150
  • webdiva1
    webdiva1 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    ditto1
  • tkdgirl23
    tkdgirl23 Posts: 36
    Options
    Thanks I needed that*:flowerforyou:
  • moremari
    moremari Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I agree. Basic advice can be the lightbulb moment for someone at the right time. I've struggled w/ my attempts lately to reduce cals and step up exercise but part of me can't fully get there. The marital stress is overwhelming at times. So I've cut myself some slack and I'm working on overall health. Working out at least 3 days a week is an attainable goal so that's first. Emotional eating (dealing with that constantly) so I'm mindful of where and when I seek comfort food. That's it that's all I can handle right now. Sometimes I feel like a recovering addict because I have to take one day and one moment at a time. But simple put I know I need to get back to healthy for my own sake. Starting with the little steps will help me in the long run, life goal kind of way. And I lose myself in babble, but great points. Thank You!
  • jkestens63
    jkestens63 Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    I agree. Basic advice can be the lightbulb moment for someone at the right time. I've struggled w/ my attempts lately to reduce cals and step up exercise but part of me can't fully get there. The marital stress is overwhelming at times. So I've cut myself some slack and I'm working on overall health. Working out at least 3 days a week is an attainable goal so that's first. Emotional eating (dealing with that constantly) so I'm mindful of where and when I seek comfort food. That's it that's all I can handle right now. Sometimes I feel like a recovering addict because I have to take one day and one moment at a time. But simple put I know I need to get back to healthy for my own sake. Starting with the little steps will help me in the long run, life goal kind of way. And I lose myself in babble, but great points. Thank You!

I think you have a really solid game plan. If you were to try and ne perfect all at once you would get very frustrated. Hope your stress level decreases and I wish you success!