UTI HELP WOMAN ONLY

Options
Hey everyone. I start a new job today and to say the least having a hard time. I got diagnosed with a UTI yesterday started an antibiotic at 3 pm. I have never had a uti and i didnt ask yhe nurse this because it wasnt happening before. Is it normal to see nauseas? I feel so sick and Im hoping somone thats had it before can help me? This is my first one and i am just scared something else is wrong. They sent my culture to a lab so ill know Friday if something else is going on but until then.. help?!!! Thanks ladies

Replies

• ashbabe25
    ashbabe25 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    It could be the antibiotic making you nauseous. Check and see if you're supposed to take it with food or avoid certain things when taking it. I had a UTI once and it was the worst. Drink plenty of water and cranberry juice is supposed to help it clear up sooner too.
  • mazdauk
    mazdauk Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    Keep drinking as much as you can, cranberry juice is good, but nothing really acidic like fresh orange juice. Avoid tea and coffee because they are diuretic, you're supposed to avoid alcohol for the same reason but unless your meds say not too you might find a small spritzer will help relax you. Try not to go to the loo every few minutes, it hurts less if you have a decent amount to go with (if you get me) but equally don't hang on to it - if you're drinking lots then you will need to go more often. Maybe a hot pad for your tummy, don't eat anything spicy or acidic for a couple of days. Potassium citrate can also help - either the branded powders (cymalon, cymaleve etc) or ask your pharmacist for a bottle of potassium citrate mixture (mixt. pot. cit) - available here without a prescription. Have a spoonful in a big glass of water chased with a dilute squash or more cranberry.
    Make sure you're following the instructions on your antibiotics, some you need to eat with others on an empty stomach - all can make you feel pretty icky.
  • queerpenix
    queerpenix Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Antibiotics can cause nausea. Like everyone else is saying check to see if you need to take it with food. When I had a UTI I switched between water and lemonade with cranberry juice in it to help flush me out. Hope you feel better soon!
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    Are you on cipro? Nausea is definitely a possible side effect
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    Severe pain makes me nauseous too which made abdominal surgery recovery very fun.
  • rdevol
    rdevol Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Consider taking probiotics (vitamin/supplement). It should help rebalance your stomach and help replace the good bacteria that the antibiotic is killing along with the infection. UTIs can be very painful, unfortunately. Hope the antibiotic and the suggestions here make you feel better soon!