What is creatine

Options
What does it actually do? I have alot of people suggesting that I use it prior to work out but I wanna know why what is it and why does it help what does it do to your body

Replies

• Old_Cat_Lady
    Old_Cat_Lady Posts: 1,193 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Deleting. I copied the first thing out of google and it was clearly wrong. 100% wrong so I wanted to remove it.
  • vismal
    vismal Posts: 2,463 Member
    Options
    Everything you ever wanted to know about creatine
    There is a section for questions called: Gaining weight and body building
    Ask there? Creatine brings large amounts of water into the muscles, which helps in protein synthesis. ... Some of these side effects are weight gain, muscle cramps, muscle strains and pulls, stomach upset, diarrhea, high blood pressure, liver dysfunction, and kidney damage.Feb 28, 2014
    Liver disease and kidney damage? Creatinine is one of the safest and most studied sports supplements of all time. You would have to take an irresponsibly high dose for quite a long time to cause those problems and the effective dose has a threshold so taking any more than 5 grams a day is stupid as it won't cause any added benefits.

To the OP: Here is everything you ever wanted to know about creatine from an unbiased source that uses research data to form conclusions: https://examine.com/supplements/creatine/

• Old_Cat_Lady
    Old_Cat_Lady Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    @vismal I just copied that first square that showed up on google. Bad mistake I guess.
  • BigNate17
    BigNate17 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    In simple terms you can expect a small strength gain while taking creatine monohydrate which can lead to increased muscle size, however a small percent of people are non-responders meaning that creatine has no effect on them at all.

You can also expect to gain a couple pounds of water weight which is normal as well. But I agree with @vismal in that you should research creatine yourself from credible sources and not just off of google.
  • Muscleflex79
    Muscleflex79 Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    one of the most studied and supported supplements out there...the examine.com link above is an excellent source!
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    vismal wrote: »
    Everything you ever wanted to know about creatine
    There is a section for questions called: Gaining weight and body building
    Ask there? Creatine brings large amounts of water into the muscles, which helps in protein synthesis. ... Some of these side effects are weight gain, muscle cramps, muscle strains and pulls, stomach upset, diarrhea, high blood pressure, liver dysfunction, and kidney damage.Feb 28, 2014
    Liver disease and kidney damage? Creatinine is one of the safest and most studied sports supplements of all time. You would have to take an irresponsibly high dose for quite a long time to cause those problems and the effective dose has a threshold so taking any more than 5 grams a day is stupid as it won't cause any added benefits.

To the OP: Here is everything you ever wanted to know about creatine from an unbiased source that uses research data to form conclusions: https://examine.com/supplements/creatine/

Beat me to the examine.com link