Looking to buy an HRM... HELP!

Options
Hi there MFP-ers :) So I'm looking to buy an HRM, and I just want to get people's opinions. Now it would be great if I could get opinions of people who actually have tried them ;) I have a few questions:

How reliable/accurate are they?
What do you recommend for a brand?
Is it really going to help me with my fitness goals?
Has your overall experience been positive or negative?

Thanks everyone, love you all!

Lauren

Replies

• missfittin_missy
    missfittin_missy Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    def one with a chest strap for reliabity I have the polar ft7 LOVE IT!
  • CaptainMFP
    CaptainMFP Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    I have found my Polar FT7 to be pretty reliable...so long as you update your information regularly and take care of it appropriately. (i.e. if you get one with a chest band monitor, wash it as directed!). My physical activity has greatly increased since I started using it last month. Since I started running, it is really useful, and not just to measure calories. By monitoring my HR during exercise I can be sure I'm not pushing too hard and at the same time make sure I'm doing what I intend. For example, I was able to keep myself safe while doing a hard 15 mile bike ride on Tuesday while making sure I wasn't pushing too hard during a 21 mile endurance ride on Thursday. My only experience is with this one HRM, so I can't compare brands for you, but I've been very pleased. Chest band HRM's like the FT7 have a reputation for being more accurate, but are more expensive (mine was $104). I feel I've more than gotten my money's worth and am already dreaming of a more expensive high end HRM for cycling somewhere down the road. Hope this helps.
  • Debbisue52
    Debbisue52 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    def one with a chest strap for reliabity I have the polar ft7 LOVE IT!

I also have the polar F7 and it works great!
  • Womona
    Womona Posts: 1,626 Member
    Options
    Go with Polar - it really is the best, and most machines at the gym will be compatible with it. I have the F4, but it's a few years old. Get a model that not only tracks your HR, but also calculates your calories based on the height and weight you set it with. /definitely worth the investment!