Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    It depends...
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    It's just a calorie counting site, so it's compatible with any eating style.

Weight management is all about how much you eat, not what you eat. Obviously different ways of balancing your diet have different effects in terms of hunger, muscle growth, digestive health etc but when it comes to losing, gaining or maintaining weight, quantity is the key.

Welcome! There are plenty of vegans here, I hope you find what you need. If you're struggling, just ask.
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    You'll probably find the same mix of pro-, anti- and neutral people here. What you will find here is a large population of vegans who do know how to control their weight while pursuing a vegan diet and lifestyle. You'll also find a large number of people who don't know what the heck they are talking about.

It may take a bit to find your peeps but they are here in great numbers. Click "Groups" in the dark blue bar above and search vegan. You'll find several groups that may interest you.
  • HeliumIsNoble
    HeliumIsNoble Posts: 1,213 Member
    Options
    I would say so. I'm quite happy to be open about my ethical choices on here without fearing an avalanche of trolling PMs, so... yeah.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I've been here for a couple of years. 99.9% of the people here don't have a problem with vegans and it's easy to avoid the people who do.
  • Ruatine
    Ruatine Posts: 3,424 Member
    Options
    I am genuinely curious... why would anyone have a "problem with vegans" (assuming said vegans weren't vegangelizing)?

OP, I can't say I've seen anyone trolling vegans on MFP. We do have a few open, insightful vegans (and vegetarians) whom I have come to respect quite a lot. MFP is made up of thousands of users who all make different eating choices, and it's a fairly tame, friendly board for pretty much anyone.
  • janejellyroll
    Options
    Ruatine wrote: »
    I am genuinely curious... why would anyone have a "problem with vegans" (assuming said vegans weren't vegangelizing)?

OP, I can't say I've seen anyone trolling vegans on MFP. We do have a few open, insightful vegans (and vegetarians) whom I have come to respect quite a lot. MFP is made up of thousands of users who all make different eating choices, and it's a fairly tame, friendly board for pretty much anyone.

It's pretty rare, but it's usually based in a perception that vegans think they're better than non-vegans or a feeling like they are being judged by vegans. There are also some people who, for ideological reasons, are anti-agriculture and IMO, they are often extremely hostile to individual vegans.

Individuals with a strong attachment to certain types of animal use (farmers, dog breeders, hunters, etc) sometimes see a threat to their profession or hobby and lash out as well.
  • Ruatine
    Options
    That sort of mindset is so odd to me. It just seems strange to judge someone based on what they choose (or don't choose) to eat. I'm glad it's rare. It would suck to be constantly bombarded with people trying to convince you that your choices are wrong, harmful, etc.
  • janejellyroll
    Options
    That sort of mindset is so odd to me. It just seems strange to judge someone based on what they choose (or don't choose) to eat. I'm glad it's rare. It would suck to be constantly bombarded with people trying to convince you that your choices are wrong, harmful, etc.

Yeah, I know some vegans feel like they receive a lot of hostility. I haven't. I don't know if I'm unusually lucky, but most of the people in my life are absolutely chill about me being vegan.
  • AskMorphis
    AskMorphis Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Nope. They end up in our plates.

More seriously, I don't see why it wouldn't be. Since the proportion of vegans is quite low, you might find difficult to find something suitable for you in the specific discussions where veganism has a role (recipies, macros,...). There might be a few specific topics for vegans, I don't know, and if there isn't, you're free to create one !
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    You'll also find a large number of people who don't know what the heck they are talking about.

Roger that. This is the Internet, after all.
  • Heather4448
    Heather4448 Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    No, we eat vegans. Better run :)
  • BishopWankapin
    BishopWankapin Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Depends largely on the vegan in question...much like anyone else on the spectrum. Dicks abound all over the world, but generally friendly, supportive people gather friendly, supportive people.
  • bobshuckleberry
    bobshuckleberry Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    I am a hunter, married to a hunter and I do not have a problem with anyone's choice to not eat meat. But I expect the same respect. I feel like that with anything in life. We are not all the same and we don't have to be to have mutual respect for one another.
  • junodog1
    junodog1 Posts: 4,792 Member
    Options
    TicoCortez wrote: »
    Depends largely on the vegan in question...much like anyone else on the spectrum. Dicks abound all over the world, but generally friendly, supportive people gather friendly, supportive people.

^^^ This. Militant vegans not well accepted.
  • Ruatine
    edited August 2017
    Options
    ^^^ I'd say that's true of any position on this site. Vocal militant extremism on MFP tends not to go well, regardless of what the actual position being taken is. Whether it's someone saying everyone should do keto, or everyone should eat clean, or everyone should be vegan.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    ^^^ I'd say that's true of any position on this site. Vocal militant extremism on MFP tends not to go well, regardless of what the actual position being taken is. Whether it's someone saying everyone should do keto, or everyone should eat clean, or everyone should be vegan.

Piggybacking on this to say, this site is very much a 'you get what ya give' kind of place. So, if you make a habit of being helpful, tolerant, knowledgeable, and respectful, most users will see and appreciate this and respond accordingly. If you come in with a huge chip on your shoulder, a 'my way or the highway' attitude, or are otherwise rude, arrogant, or dismissive, folks will figure it out (and it doesn't take long to start recognizing and associating usernames with attitudes, both good and bad).
  • HeliumIsNoble
    HeliumIsNoble Posts: 1,213 Member
    Options

Sometimes people have prior prejudices about vegangelizing, and so want to get an aggressive defence in first. Sometimes they're just in the aggressive internet-troll mindset at that point in their life, and they're searching for legitimate targets. Veganism is a choice, unlike, for example, race, sex, sexuality, or disability, so from that perspective, it's easier to justify being an *kitten* to vegans just for the sake of getting to be an *kitten* to someone than it is to troll people from other minority groups who don't have a choice in what marks them out.