Keto wins and fails... I wanna know!

Options
Hi everyone! My husband started the keto diet 3 months ago and has already lost over 70lbs! He has TONS of energy and is looking amazing!

I finally started keto this past weekend and I'm doing pretty good. I've looked up recipes online and even found an amazing keto pizza recipe that tastes amazing! I've even altered the recipe to make cheesy bread, and pigs in a blanket :)

What I want to know is if you've done or are currently on keto, what worked well and what didnt. I'd really love any feedback!

Thanks,
P.s. please feel free to add me! Id love the motivation and support!

P.p.s. here's the keto recipe:
1.5 cups of shredded mozzarella and 2 tablespoons of cream cheese. Place in a bowl and microwave for 1 minute.

Stir and then heat again for 30 seconds.

Add 3/4 cup of almond flour, 1 egg and Italian seasoning (as little or as much as your taste buds can handle).

Take the dough and flatten it on a pan. Use aluminum foil and spray pam to prevent it from sticking.

Poke holes in it to avoid bubbling. Add onion powder and garlic powder (as much as you prefer)

I have a gas oven so I cook it for 5 minutes at 400 degrees.

When it's light brown I add cheese and whatever toppings (pepperoni etc).

Cook for another 4-5 minutes or until cheese is melted.

VOILA! Easy and delicious pizza!

Replies

• jasodia
    jasodia Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm 3 weeks into the Keto diet, and have lost 5 lbs. of what I assume is water weight. Lost it in the first week, and haven't lost anything since. Not sure if I'm doing it right! I pretty much stick to just meats, cheese, eggs, and some veggies. It definitely DOES feel good not eating all the processed foods I was always stuffing my face with on a daily basis. I'm sleeping like a baby, which I haven't done in years. I do plan to try & lose about 15-20 more lbs., and stick to this type of 'lifestyle' for a while, and then slowly add other carbs.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    What I want to know is if you've done or are currently on keto, what worked well and what didnt. I'd really love any feedback!

I've been keto for a couple of years. It really agrees with me (improved blood glucose, better stomach and autoimmune issues, better energy, better cognitive function, nicer skin and hair, fewer cravings). I lost about 40lbs on in in well under half a year and have maintained fairly easily on it.

I've tried increasing carbs a few times but my cravings come back hard. I'm actually finding that I do best with almost zero carbs but I keep adding them in because I like to eat them.

My biggest tip is to believe the sodium recommendation of 3000-5000mg per day (2300 mg in a teaspoon of table salt). I did not add salt for a few weeks and I suffered for it. LOL I finally increased sodium when the muscle cramps would not let up.

I would also recommend joining the Low Carber Daily MFP group or the keto group. Great people there. That's where you want to go to hear the success stories. :)

The down side is not eating sweet things, but doing that was a large reason why I needed to lose weight. I miss sweets a bit but not much. At least not if I don't eat any.

• ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    Hello and welcome! I suggest you check out the main low carber daily forum group here in MFP. It's where most of us ketophiles tend to hang out:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/discussions/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Hi everyone! My husband started the keto diet 3 months ago and has already lost over 70lbs! He has TONS of energy and is looking amazing!

I finally started keto this past weekend and I'm doing pretty good. I've looked up recipes online and even found an amazing keto pizza recipe that tastes amazing! I've even altered the recipe to make cheesy bread, and pigs in a blanket :)

Thanks,
    P.s. please feel free to add me! Id love the motivation and support!

P.p.s. here's the keto recipe:
    1.5 cups of shredded mozzarella and 2 tablespoons of cream cheese. Place in a bowl and microwave for 1 minute.

Stir and then heat again for 30 seconds.

Add 3/4 cup of almond flour, 1 egg and Italian seasoning (as little or as much as your taste buds can handle).

Take the dough and flatten it on a pan. Use aluminum foil and spray pam to prevent it from sticking.

Poke holes in it to avoid bubbling. Add onion powder and garlic powder (as much as you prefer)

I have a gas oven so I cook it for 5 minutes at 400 degrees.

When it's light brown I add cheese and whatever toppings (pepperoni etc).

Cook for another 4-5 minutes or until cheese is melted.

VOILA! Easy and delicious pizza!

Make sure you get enough sodium, and incorporate foods high in potassium/magnesium so you can balance to your electrolytes. If you feel sick, tired or crampy, that is usually the issue. Tracking calories might be needed too if you can't naturally get in a deficit.
  • KetoPaul79
    KetoPaul79 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Success so far, I'm 30 lb's down so far and have more to go. I failed before because I was just concentrating on the "low-carb" side and not looking at calories, also I struggled and plateaued after 10lb's so reduced calories and moderated protein intake. I thought that protein was good because of training and weights, but soon realised that too much protein was causing me to slow down weightloss
  • andrederosier
    andrederosier Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Failure and success. Did keto for a bit and had good weight loss. Stop because I am a meat and potatoes sort of guy. A bit of the weight came back and felt horrible after eating for a year a regular diet again. Went to doctor and found out I had diabetes but couldn't give up carbs. Well a year later, had heart attack because diabetes shrunk my coronary arteries and found I had a A1C of 10.5. Triple bypass and insulin at age 44 was not how I wanted my life to turn out.

I was bound to get off insulin and carbs had become poison to my body. Told diabetic manager that I would get off insulin to which they doubted highly. Secretly I did too because I loved carbs but I was determined. Within 4 months I was down 20 lbs with 10 lbs to go until goal weight. Insulin was reduced 4 times and finally discontinued. Ketosis has eliminated cravings for carbs and been soda free almost a year now (8/23/16 last soda). My cholesterol number are best in my life. I have found many substitute for foods I used to love like Mozz sticks (http://www.tryketowith.me/2015/09/09/easy-keto-mozzarella-sticks/). Now I eat some protein with a side of veggies. Snacks are usually nuts though every once in a while I get a pint of Halo Top. Still off insulin and maintain weight decently. I have a cheat meal every once in a while but it usually stay in ketosis or get back in next day. If it wasn't for what diabetes has done to my body I probably might have gone back to carbs. Now I have a scar to remind me to stay strong. Test strips also remind me of the benefit when I see my glucose on cheat meal days which keeps them infrequent.

Like anything success or failure depends on your motivations and efforts. Best of luck.
  • Gturner81
    Gturner81 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Its definitely the way to go. I started August 21st and I am down 33 pounds with Keto and I.F. and I am never hungry on this eating style. I love it!
  • CNG24
    CNG24 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I've had nothing but success with Keto! I love it!! Feel free to add me :)