Go to snack

Options
What is your go to snack for felling full without taking a huge hit on calories? A lot of people i know say almonds but a handful does not do anything for me. Maybe they have more self control but I need a lot more than a handful to keep me over.

So what do you go to make keep you from binge eating?

Replies

• tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    Cucumber wedges with some cottage cheese, protein muffins, Apple & yoghurt, roasted chickpeas or soybeans, small chocolate bar, protein bar.

You probably just need to play around with your meal frequency/timing to find what works for you. If you are struggling from meal to meal, could be worth having a bigger snack and smaller meal.
  • YOLO145
    YOLO145 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    An apple and string cheese. I definitely don't feel full, but it does the trick for me.
  • MommaGem2017
    MommaGem2017 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    Greek Yogurt with fruit
  • bribucks
    bribucks Posts: 431 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Almonds and other nuts are actually pretty calorie-dense. I know people recommend them a lot because they are "good for you," but it really doesn't fit into a low-calorie plan too well.

Personally, I like those low-fat string cheese sticks (only 50 cals, 7 grams protein), fit & light yogurt, an apple, carrots & hummus, or a protein bar. A lot of MFP-ers really like pickles because they are practically zero calorie, however I personally do not care for pickles.
  • beenz75
    beenz75 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    2 large celery sticks dipped in 15g low fat salad cream, washed down with a pint of water. Very tasty, filling & just 48 calories all-in.
  • HarlemNY17
    HarlemNY17 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Yogurt . Sweet potatoes . Fruits . Halo ice cream , peanuts , fiber one
  • msmith404040
    msmith404040 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I ate two sliced zuchinni today that were 70 calories for both :)
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    I've been on a beef jerky kick lately. A small portion satisfies me and is not too bad on calories.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    1/2 oz cheese with three triscuits and some fruit or vegetables. I feel like it gives me taste, textures, carbs, fiber and sugar.

And what keeps me from binge eating is staying busy, making sure I don't deprive myself, logging the binge, and having adequate fats and fiber in my diet.
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    My favourite night-time snack is protein fluff. You basically whip your protein powder and some liquid into a big marshmallowy fluffy pile. It's extremely filling, I usually can't finish a whole bowl. And a whole bowl is only 120 calories (or however much protein powder you use).

I also like sugar-free jello cups, pickles, carrots, celery, cherries, berries, Laughing Cow cheese, Halo Top and soups.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Coleslaw mix (shredded cabbage and carrots) mixed with apple cider vinegar and hot sauce. The mix is only 25 calories for 85 grams (about a cup and a half) and the apple cider vinegar and hot sauce doesn't add many calories. I usually eat lunch early (11:30) and have dinner late (7:30 or 8), so I eat this often in the late afternoon if I feel hungry.
  • Polo265
    Polo265 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Celery and low fat cream cheese or radishes and low fat cream cheese, handful of sugar snap peas. Wasa lite rye crackers (60 calories for 2) with peanut butter or sharp cheese.
  • junodog1
    junodog1 Posts: 4,792 Member
    Options
    Sliced raw vegetables or a salad also makes a nice snack
  • Ruatine
    Ruatine Posts: 3,424 Member
    Options
    Fat-free Greek yogurt with a sprinkle of Fiber One original cereal
    2% cottage cheese with pineapple
    Popcorn (light butter)
  • Iamnotasenior
    Iamnotasenior Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    A large apple, a cup of low-fat yogurt, or a sugar-free pudding cup are all go-to's for me that are around 100 calories.
  • vespiquenn
    vespiquenn Posts: 1,455 Member
    Options
    Carrots and low-calorie dip, Greek yogurt, Halo Top ice cream, bag of microwaveable steamed vegetables with yogurt butter (45cals for 2 tbs).. those are a few I can think of.
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    Dried chickpeas. They are very filling. Also hard boiled eggs or sprouted bread with peanut butter. It depends on the cause of my hunger and the time of day. Full fat cottage cheese or Greek Yoghurt are other snacks I turn to if hungry.
  • CyberTurbanX
    CyberTurbanX Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions! I really like the dried chickpeas and fruit with cheese ideas.
    I tried the Halo top ice cream but couldn't get passed the texture.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    I'm finding that an apple does more to fill me than the protein bars under my desk.

Plus I like the taste better. I just don't always have an apple available.
  • Sassifrass76
    Sassifrass76 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Pickles. Dill, no sugar added sweet gherkins, and no sugar added bread and butter.
    Crispy, crunchy, and no to low calorie. Has definately gotten me through some questionable moments where things could have easily gone sideways more than once.