do macros really matter

Options
opinions: do you go by macros or calories?

Replies

• jordandills
    jordandills Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Calories for weight loss, macros for nutrition/satiety.

I go by calories, although I do make sure to get sufficient protein and fat.

This, exactly. I adjusted my macros ratio based on my doctor's recommendation (lower carbs as I was prediabetic with a family history). I treat my protein and fat like minimums and my carbs like a limit, but calories are all that matter for weight loss.

• mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Calories for weight loss, macros for nutrition/satiety.

I go by calories, although I do make sure to get sufficient protein and fat.

And another this! ^
    The only reason to focus on your macros is if you have specific fitness goals. Eg. lifting weights for muscle mass preservation. Then the focus on protein is a little more important. For just weight loss, calorie first. Then getting good nutrition. Getting adequate protein and fats can help with satiety and controlling hunger.
  • Meelisv
    Meelisv Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Both of course.
    I set macro split that suits me within my calorie goal.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Priority 1: Protein (high)
    Priority 2: Calories (low)
    Priority 3: Fat (not trans, not too high, but not too low)
    I seem to get enough dairy and animal to get the fat high enough.

I don't prioritize carbs because there's no need to. They are everywhere.
  • theman900
    theman900 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Protein - to help spare lean muscle while on diet
    Fats - dont go too low but no need to go too high thier mainly for hormones etc
    Carbs - fuel your workout performance which will also ultimately affect how mycmuch h lean muscle you keep e.g if you dont have enegy to lift as much as normal you may lose muscle.

But then again different people try different rations i know some whos energy thrive on keto diets
  • Old_Cat_Lady
    Old_Cat_Lady Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    Protein. A woman needs at least 46 grams a day. I shoot for a minimum of 60 grams.
  • HarlemNY17
    HarlemNY17 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Yes macros are important.
  • 230137isntmyweight
    230137isntmyweight Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Agreed, Calories are for weight loss/gain and macros are for good health/hunger.
  • MeemawCanDoIt
    MeemawCanDoIt Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Working with my doctor and dietician, I focus first on no more than 1,200 calories daily (and they do not recommend eating my exercise calories, but I know folks on this board disagree). Then I focus on at least 35% protein, no more than 35% carbs (as I have insulin resistance) and no more than 30% fat. Calories for weight loss and macros for nutrition. Both are important.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    For weightloss, calories are important. Macros might (and might not) matter when it comes to feeling satiated and satisfied on your diet, it is something to look at if you are struggling to hit calories.

For nutrition, I think macros are overrated, although that's where they come in. There's a minimum RDA for protein that most (not everyone) will easily hit, and beyond that if you are at a deficit it can be very helpful to eat more. I aim for .8 g/lb of a healthy goal weight, although I think that's higher than is really necessary even for that purpose. It's satisfying for me, though, so I tend to come in around that number.

As for fat and carbs, well, there's a minimum required for fat (and essential fatty acids in particular), but I don't think anyone ever really eats below that without trying, and there's no minimum for carbs, and sources of carbs and fat are incredibly varied. I tend to think focusing on percentages or even total grams of both is usually overrated (again), although some people find that lowering carbs (even carbs that many find to be filling and nutrient dense) can be helpful for satiety (which is different than claiming it matters for nutrition).

In addition to protein, my main focus for nutrition isn't macros at all, but making sure my diet is largely vegetable-based. I try to get vegetables at every meal, ideally about half the meal or 8-10 servings. I also try to eat a variety of other nutrient dense foods (fruit is good right now), to eat seasonally and, as I define it, ethically, and to make sure that I get in sources of fat like fatty fish, nuts and seeds, avocado and olives, as well as plant based sources of fat like beans and lentils (which I really don't consume as much as I think I should, since my natural tendency is to be a bit lower carb).
  • OliveGirl128
    OliveGirl128 Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    Calories, calories, calories :) I've never really tracked macros, besides some spot checking, and don't try to hit any specific macro ratios. Keeping things simple has worked best for me.
  • OliveGirl128
    OliveGirl128 Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    For weightloss, calories are important. Macros might (and might not) matter when it comes to feeling satiated and satisfied on your diet, it is something to look at if you are struggling to hit calories.

For nutrition, I think macros are overrated, although that's where they come in. There's a minimum RDA for protein that most (not everyone) will easily hit, and beyond that if you are at a deficit it can be very helpful to eat more. I aim for .8 g/lb of a healthy goal weight, although I think that's higher than is really necessary even for that purpose. It's satisfying for me, though, so I tend to come in around that number.

As for fat and carbs, well, there's a minimum required for fat (and essential fatty acids in particular), but I don't think anyone ever really eats below that without trying, and there's no minimum for carbs, and sources of carbs and fat are incredibly varied. I tend to think focusing on percentages or even total grams of both is usually overrated (again), although some people find that lowering carbs (even carbs that many find to be filling and nutrient dense) can be helpful for satiety (which is different than claiming it matters for nutrition).

In addition to protein, my main focus for nutrition isn't macros at all, but making sure my diet is largely vegetable-based. I try to get vegetables at every meal, ideally about half the meal or 8-10 servings. I also try to eat a variety of other nutrient dense foods (fruit is good right now), to eat seasonally and, as I define it, ethically, and to make sure that I get in sources of fat like fatty fish, nuts and seeds, avocado and olives, as well as plant based sources of fat like beans and lentils (which I really don't consume as much as I think I should, since my natural tendency is to be a bit lower carb).

This is my focus as well. I don't track macros but I do track my veg/fruit intake and aim for a certain amount every day, as well as beans, nuts, seeds, fish, olives etc several times a week.
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,222 Member
    Options
    Proteins and fat are essential for your health. Carbs are irrelevant. I eat them cos they're tasty!
  • VeronicaA76
    VeronicaA76 Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    Both!!! You need a calorie deficit to lose weight. But, you also need fat, protien, vitamins and minerals to stay healthy. Sure you'd lose weight if your entire day was just 1000 calories of soda, but you'd end up severely malnourished.
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    Options
    At first I only cared about the calories. Now I'm in recomp and working with a trainer towards my fitness so my goals changed and I focus a lot more on my macro balance.
  • ISweat4This
    ISweat4This Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    I track both
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    BabyBear76 wrote: »
    gebeziseva wrote: »
    Proteins and fat are essential for your health. Carbs are irrelevant. I eat them cos they're tasty!

I once had a doctor put me on an ultra low carb diet, I got really close to becoming a murderer over a slice of bread.

:lol:

Meals just feel wrong and unsatisfying to me if they are unbalanced, whether it is not enough protein or carbs or fat.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,977 Member
    Options
    Calories and macros both matter. Ignore either at your own peril.

The amount of cals you consume will determine whether you lose, gain or maintain your weight. It's all about CICO. So, you need to keep track of the cals that you consume to meet your specific weight goal.

On the other hand, your body also needs a certain minimum amount of protein, carbs and fat to function properly. A prolonged deficit in any macro could cause serious health problems.

Eating a "balanced" diet "should" (but will not necessarily) provide enough of each to maintain good health w/o tracking them. If your health is failing, a nutritional deficit due to a lack of protrin, carbs and/or carbs may be to blame.

On the other hand, it you have specific nutritional goals, adjusting your diet and tracking your macros to meet those goals may be essential. Just depends what your specific goals and needs are.

So, generally some attention to both calories and macros is required.