Motivation

Options
Need to excersise but have no motivation.

Replies

• lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Why do you need to exercise? THAT is your motivation!
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Pretty much yes, that. ^^^^
  • STEVE142142
    STEVE142142 Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    You have to find your own personal motivation. It can't be for your kids or your significant other. That why has to be all about you. It has to be totally selfish. Once you find that why it becomes easy and all those other whys take care of themselves.

• mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Stop worrying about useless things like motivation and just go do it! You sound like a method actor.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    I find that if I set a goal I am more motivated to exercise. This year my goal is to burn 300,000 calories on a bicycle. But then I noticed that I have a streak going of riding over 600 miles a month since November of last year. This month I have vacation planned so I'm not sure I'll be able to ride much during that time. Because I want to keep my streak going I'm motivated to ride my bicycle even more to make up for it.
  • cavales
    cavales Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thanks to all with positive comments.
  • aganey
    aganey Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    I'm having the same issue. Once I get in the groove of working out I'm ok for a bit then I slack off again. My diet is so far off the wagon that I'm going to be going through withdrawals like an addict with my cravings when I decide to get back on track. I just need to get over that initial 2-3 week hump but can't seem to make it.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,193 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I love being outside, and I love being active outside.

So a beautiful sunny day is motivation enough for me. In fact, it's driving me nuts right now that I'm sick with a cold/flu and stuck inside on the first beautiful sunny spring-like day of the season!!!!

If it is nice where you are, go for a walk and soak up some sunshine, breathe the fresh air! :)
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Think of it as an adult version of play time.

We go to the gym and we workout. Consider what children do; they run, they jump, they climb things etc and they're getting exercise the whole time. The difference is that they don't think of it as exercise, they're playing.

Find something that you enjoy doing and then have fun doing it (you don't need to go to the gym & bench press a jumbo jet & you don't need to run a Marathon......unless you want to)
  • Valsgoals
    Valsgoals Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I like how Brian put it. That's how I think of it a lot of times myself. Why does it always have to be thought of as a work out. If I'm going to use a 4 letter word (work) I wanna use the other 4 letter word, PLAY. I'm going to go for a hike. Nope, not me, I'm going exploring in the forest preserves to see how many deer and other critters I can see.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    If you are in need of constant motivation to work out, you're not approaching it the best way. Motivation is short and fleeting. Those who workout consistently over many years aren't motivated, it's part of what they do and who they are.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    rybo wrote: »
    If you are in need of constant motivation to work out, you're not approaching it the best way. Motivation is short and fleeting. Those who workout consistently over many years aren't motivated, it's part of what they do and who they are.

Pure awesome right here.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    aganey wrote: »
    I'm having the same issue. Once I get in the groove of working out I'm ok for a bit then I slack off again. My diet is so far off the wagon that I'm going to be going through withdrawals like an addict with my cravings when I decide to get back on track. I just need to get over that initial 2-3 week hump but can't seem to make it.

Stop believing that little voice in your head that says you can't do it. Time to start playing a new tape. You can pick what it says.
  • aganey
    aganey Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

Stop believing that little voice in your head that says you can't do it. Time to start playing a new tape. You can pick what it says.[/quote]

You're absolutely right. I'm not believing in myself. I've lost the weight once, I know what to do to do it again. I just need to do it. Thanks!!
  • laughingcorrpse
    laughingcorrpse Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Same here!! I just can't seem to get up and exercise and stop eating:(
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    To those of you who; "just can't seem to get up and exercise and stop eating"; What do you do to get yourselves up to work every day, empty the garbage, clean your living space, or do the many chores that need to be done (but aren't a lot of fun) to live comfortably? Do you have no discipline and just float through life, or are you treating maintenance of your body as something unnecessary?

If you want to workout because you believe it is important, arrange your life to have the time, and do it.
    Those who want to exercise will find the time and the will, those who don't will find excuses.