So I'm on vacation and my diet is basically totally fubar

Options
I've been eating so many calories literally every day I've been here, I tried to balance it out with exercise but I don't think it's working, today just now for dinner I ate 2 cheeseburgers on the grill, broccoli and potato wedges, loaded up in ketchup and a small piece of lasagna, how many calories that was is beyond speculation. I've weighed myself and I don't think that the scale is accurate, yesterday wasn't bad but the day before I ate like 3200 calories and today had be close to that too. Also I've eaten McDonald's twice chick filet once and the other night 4 slices of pizza. I was 200 pounds when I left. I don't want to be 210 by the time I get back to my house, what should I do to just take care of this behavior, I feel like every time I go on vacation I do this. I still have like 10 days left before I go home.

Replies

• 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    No other options but to take control of yourself, really.

This. Only you can fix your problem. Good luck.
  • peraltapiano
    peraltapiano Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I agree with Megamoose. Don't be too hard on yourself. Yes, you should try to limit yourself when surrounded by the delicious abundance of a vacation. But this is not a beyond repair situation-- you can make a great comeback today, tomorrow, or if it's just too hard... when you get home. It's okay.
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    Options
    Remember:
    1) a lot of what you will/have gained is water weight and will come off when you're not eating all that vacation food
    2) just because you've been eating a lot so far doesn't mean you can't dial it back some for the rest of your trip
    3) just because you gain some weight on vacation doesn't mean you can't lose it again
    4) it's okay to take a vacation now and again

You're right, I don't eat like this year round. But I do this every time I take a vacation I think today my calories are still probably below 3,000 and I took a long walk today, I should mention I haven't had a bowel movement in over a week

Well, keep up the long walks! I'm not going to touch that last bit, though. ;)
  • HoustonStrongMT
    HoustonStrongMT Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Try logging it before you eat it - for everything. Also try to limit alcohol (since that reduces your ability to control yourself) and don't drink your calories. This helps me with self control.
  • HoustonStrongMT
    HoustonStrongMT Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    And drink at least 2 liters of water every day.
  • HarlemNY17
    HarlemNY17 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Yea only you can control you . If you know you're gonna eat tons of food on vacation then I would suggest not to go on vacation or just know how to control your habits
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    It's no fun to feel deprived on vacation, but going hog wild isn't great either. Maybe 1 cheeseburger and 2 slices of pizza? And a reasonable portion of ketchup?

My whole family has always eaten giant portions so I get where you're coming from. It's even harder if the people you're with are still like that. But let's face it, most moderately active humans only need one cheeseburger at a time, and "naturally slim" people don't eat like this. Try to roleplay being a naturally slim person and make the food choices that person would make. OH look! A pizza! I will have one or maybe two slices if I feel extra crazy. Gosh, it's an extra special occasion, I will split a restaurant dessert with someone instead of not having dessert!
  • AliNouveau
    AliNouveau Posts: 36,287 Member
    Options
    It's vacation enjoy yourself.
    Keep going out for walks and get some exercise it will counteract the bad foods
  • TeethOfTheHydra
    TeethOfTheHydra Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Don't beat yourself up. Just resume where you left off when you get back and within a week, you'll see things sliding back towards where you were. One suggestion is plan future vacations that are more activity-oriented where you'd rather stay busy and active than grilling and eating, rather than presuming you'll squeeze in time at the hotel gym or something. For example, go to the beach and be really active in the water. Take long hikes along sloping walking trails or rent a bicycle and cruise through the city.

On a separate note, I don't know your details, but you could consider reforming your diet to be smaller portions, more frequent eating. I've found that I no longer have the appetite for a large meal. Once I hit 400 - 500 calories, I'm kind of done eating, I can tell that trying to eat more is overkill.
    Good luck, and enjoy yourself on vacation! They're more important than we often appreciate.
  • HarlemNY17
    HarlemNY17 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    HarlemNY17 wrote: »
    Yea only you can control you . If you know you're gonna eat tons of food on vacation then I would suggest not to go on vacation or just know how to control your habits

OR, just enjoy the vacation, eat the food, and get right back on track when you get back. Vacations should be enjoyed. They don't happen every day.

A poster recently said (I regret I forget which one). "Plan your weight loss around your life, not your life around your weight loss."

But the thing is weight loss is 10x more important than a vacation . Vacations can wait . They don't happen happen everyday but they can happen ANY day . Why Why wait to lose weight? Something serious can happen from being overweight or obese . I'm just trying to help this person and anyone else in the same boat because your life and health is more important if you wanna live long and go on many vacations.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,583 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    It happens because you RELAX your effort. I eat pretty much the same way on vacation as I do at home and still workout too. People think it's crazy, but it's my LIFESTYLE. It's not going out of the way to do it.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    Options
    This seems obvious but you could stop eating so much? Just a suggestion.

That's what I was thinking. Like, are two cheeseburgers *really* necessary?
  • Finkelstien
    Finkelstien Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    If you go this way you will regret it because you have gained weight.
    if you start logging like a mad men you will regret it because you did not enjoy your holiday to the fullest but worries about calories instead.

So you have to find that happy medium where you feel you have enjoyed your holiday but did not gain back everything you lost.