Day after soreness

Options
Hey All,

I did Jillan's Ripped In 30 and went for a run last night , and today I'm soo sore! (TMI but) My booty and legs ache to no end.. and I'd like to exercise today because I'm just getting back into the routine of actually DOING it .. any advice as to how I can combat the soreness?

Replies

• joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    Hey All,

I did Jillan's Ripped In 30 and went for a run last night , and today I'm soo sore! (TMI but) My booty and legs ache to no end.. and I'd like to exercise today because I'm just getting back into the routine of actually DOING it .. any advice as to how I can combat the soreness?

What you are experiencing is called DOMS. Dynamic Onset Muscle Soreness. Happens after working out muscles you don't normally train. Make sure you are eating your macros (proteins, carbs, fats) and get enough rest. Happens to everyone.
  • maryd523
    maryd523 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    I was really really sore a couple weeks ago and I went running anyway. Once I got going I didn't notice the soreness, although it came right back when I was done.

Basically, exercise won't hurt the sore muscles. Some people say it helps work them out, I don't know for sure.
  • lisapickering
    Options
    Do light workouts like walking and stretching... moving the muscles gently will help them feel better. Drink water. It gets better!
  • jezzi4ever
    jezzi4ever Posts: 100
    Options
    What you are experiencing is called DOMS. Dynamic Onset Muscle Soreness. Happens after working out muscles you don't normally train. Make sure you are eating your macros (proteins, carbs, fats) and get enough rest. Happens to everyone.
    [/quote]

I believe it's Delayed not Dynamic. Delayed meaning it usually starts about 12-24 hours (I believe) after you've worked the muscles, rather than immediately after. That's what we learned in school, anyway.

Yep--exactly why it happens, though. You haven't used those muscles in that way in a while (if ever) so your body is just sore. Rest will help, it will go away as your muscles get stronger and more used to the workout you are giving them.

Edit: Ugh, I don't know what I erased and why the beginning didn't work in "quote" form. Sorry.