Exercise calories

Options
Do u guys eat ur workout calories? It's so hard to follow 1200 calories when working out!

Replies

• Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    If you're using MFP as intended you do and especially if you decide to use the absolute lowest minimum calorie goal (which you are). You definitely should be eating at least a portion - just getting skinny is not the same as being healthy.
  • joeybrid
    joeybrid Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    1200 is extremely low lol. What are your goals?
  • jennybearlv
    jennybearlv Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    Every single one on top of my 1500 base. Sometimes I spread them around through the week, but I try to get a net average of 1500 a day. I tried the 1200 plus exercise when I first started it lasted about two months before I came to my senses.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    Yes, of course. They taste better than my regular calories. And I'm in this for my health and looks.
  • ladyhusker39
    ladyhusker39 Posts: 1,406 Member
    Options
    Heck yeah! That's a big part of my motivation to exercise.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    Where else would I find the energy to fuel my workouts?
  • bendyourkneekatie
    bendyourkneekatie Posts: 696 Member
    Options
    I'm marathon training with a 1300 base. If I didn't eat my exercise calories back how would I get my runs in. I can easily burn more than my base on a run.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    sennja wrote: »
    Do u guys eat ur workout calories? It's so hard to follow 1200 calories when working out!

Sometimes it's useful to do the math, to see how everything works out.

You didn't say, so I'm going to assume you signed up to lose weight. No offense, that's why everyone is here.

Suppose you go out and run for a while, and burn 500 calories. Then you eat them all back, every last one. Here's what that looks like:

1,200 cal = normal goal with your weight loss deficit already built in
    +500 exercise calories
    -500 yummy delicious calories

Your normal weight loss goal.

It's like taking the long and scenic route home, and then putting extra gas in your car because of it. Food isn't just enjoyment and nutrition, it's energy, just as gasoline is energy.
  • gdsmit1
    gdsmit1 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I usually try to leave a couple of my exercise calories "unused" But on workout days, I always eat some of my exercise calories.