Not eating enough calories

Options
If I eat less calories than given by Mfp would that be considered an unhealthy way to lose weight? I just started using this app and haven't ate much today.

Replies

• Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,222 Member
    Options
    If I eat less calories than given by Mfp would that be considered an unhealthy way to lose weight? I just started using this app and haven't ate much today.

If you just started today, don't worry. The hunger will come. Tomorrow or the day after.
  • rmgnow
    rmgnow Posts: 375 Member
    Options

You think you're the first one here to do this?
    Haha so many people get on the crash course
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options

One day is no big deal. But in general you want to eat your calories, to make sure you get enough nutrition and don't lose weight too fast. Good luck!
  • Sthsidirish
    Sthsidirish Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I regularly fall short of the MFP calorie target. It's calling for 2400 a day. I don't know how I'd eat that much, and eat healthy, every day. I'm regularly stuffed just on what I'm eating now.
  • slimmingsarah_85
    slimmingsarah_85 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Make sure you have a scale and measuring cups and spoons and don't "eyeball" portion sizes. Log everything, even drinks. You may be under calculating your calories.

Also, when we just start a diet or new lifestyle change or whatever, we often really get into it and are so motivated that we don't feel that hungry yet, as you get used to it and it becomes more the normal thing, you'll probably eat more.

But to answer your question: once in a while eating under the calories is fine, but if it's consistent then yes, it's unhealthy, unsustainable and could lead to you becoming eating disordered.
  • kokonani
    kokonani Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    If you don't feel hungry, no need to force yourself to eat all the calories. Over time it will even out. Just log and move on. But you do want to eat close to the recommendation.