How do I stop binge eating at night/??

Options
Most days during the day I do fine- today I had a bowl of rice krispies and banana for breakfast. Lunch was tomato and avocado sandwich with some chips. Dinner was meatballs and salad. Then once my son goes to bed I like to relax and have a snack and tonight was a whole thing of halo top ice cream - oops!

Replies

• rmgnow
    rmgnow Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    tkc616 wrote: »
    Most days during the day I do fine- today I had a bowl of rice krispies and banana for breakfast. Lunch was tomato and avocado sandwich with some chips. Dinner was meatballs and salad. Then once my son goes to bed I like to relax and have a snack and tonight was a whole thing of halo top ice cream - oops!

Log the binge
  • VeronicaA76
    VeronicaA76 Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    Binge on low calorie snacks and log them. Even if I eat the whole package of cherry tomatoes, it's not that much as far as calories are concerned.
  • Sheisinlove109
    Sheisinlove109 Posts: 516 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Try finding something to keep you occupied while watching tv. Sudoku, knit, clean...

Only eat at the kitchen table.

Keep low calorie foods on standby, proportioned. Go to bed early? Hot tea between low cal snacks.
  • vanessansa
    vanessansa Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I find myself in this situation more times than I like. Forcing myself to just lay down works for me. Or drinking a glass of water. We can do this!!
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I'm in the budget your snacks camp (she says while munching popcorn and a hard cider), and definitely log when you go over budget. If you can find snack alternatives that work for you, go for it. Single serve bags of microwave popcorn were a big cut for me, for example, as was drinking cider instead of wine (I can drink wine like no one's business, but the carbonation fills me up). If ice cream is your jam, maybe see about popsicles or single serve cones? You may still binge on more than one at first, but log log log and try again tomorrow. I've also tried to keep myself from being too hungry during the day so I don't see the snack as a reward for being "good," but just a nice cap at the end of my day.
  • kokonani
    kokonani Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    Just save some calories from the day so that it's ok to snack at night. Halo top isn't that much calories. Or have some cut up cucumber or celery to munch on at night, something low cal.
  • abrazier1509
    abrazier1509 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Make a protein powder and fruit smoothie. This fills the belly and the nutrition curbs the crave/appetite. Feel free to get jiggy but remember to log it.
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    Options
    drgnfyre wrote: »
    Once a week I will have a day where I want to eat a house full of food, so what I do is i figure out what would be my maintenance calories for my current weight, and I allow myself to eat the extra calories up to maintenance. This way I figure at least I am not "over eating". And it resets me for the rest of the week. I still am loosing weight as fast as I want and I don't feel guilty because I let myself do it. IDK if this would help you, but it works very well for me.

It's so nice to find other people who do this! I've been setting my goals by week and month so I can have one or two maintenance or higher days a week. It makes the loss slower, but (for me at least) keeps life enjoyable.
  • prima_donut
    prima_donut Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I skip breakfast and have a later lunch that is on the smaller side so that I have budgeted for a larger dinner and/or an evening treat. I also find a glass of red wine in the evening curbs the urge.
  • jpoehls9025
    jpoehls9025 Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    tkc616 wrote: »
    I eat at night and skip breakfast.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

Yup that is what I do too, I never cared for breakfast anyways lol much rather have my calories at night.
  • dillydaisys
    dillydaisys Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Eat dinner with your family but set half aside for later so your still eating the same amount of calories and not heading for the snacks later in the evening
  • theabsentmindednurse
    theabsentmindednurse Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    You are definitely not alone.
    The problem with binge eating at night. It often has nothing to do with hunger.
    I can say in perfect honesty, night binge eating undoes my day of well balanced clean eating.
    And why do I do it?
    Fatigue, sadness, stress and pain.
    While I find having a healthy green smoothie fills me up at this time of night and often curbs those cravings, it does not address the behaviour. It is this behaviour that can and does sabotage our weight loss. Often over and over again.

In this weight loss journey, I am learning for every failure, I am one step closer to success.
    I hope in being completely honest, others won't feel alone.
  • DeborahKilpatrick
    DeborahKilpatrick Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Hi, I have a similar problem. Usually if I'm alone I can handle it by having a piece of toast or dark choc, but my partner's eating habits are totally different to mine. He goes all day without eating because he doesn't get hungry, then eats all his calories for the day in one huge binge at night... and it can be anything from a whole pack of Doritos to two Macdonalds at once. Obviously I don't eat the same amount but he does always at least snack in front of films, which is what we do to chill out at night.
    Trying to have willpower and not snack with him doesn't work so I'm going to start keeping calories, knowing I'll enjoy being able to have some treats together at night.
    Last night I had 250 calories left, used them on a scone then went on to eat mini eggs and Jaffa cakes with him!
    We don't live together, so maybe on our nights apart I'll be extra strict then save some or exercise when we'll be see h each other.
    I agree with the others that the Halo doesn't sound to bad. Don't beat yourself up, just keep an eye on your overall weekly calories and you'll be fine.
  • theabsentmindednurse
    theabsentmindednurse Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    3ogclqq56yf4.png
  • eisterunicorn
    eisterunicorn Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I have had huge struggles with binge eating disorder and trust me that is not even close to a binge!!! And I had a whole halo top pint tonight :) nbd if you go a couple hundred calories over your goal every once in a while. As for keeping yourself from eating more than you want, what has worked for me is waiting until at least noon to start eating, and I always budget several hundred calories for a dessert after dinner. Then when you are finished with your dessert, brush your teeth!:)
  • Niki_Fitz
    Niki_Fitz Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    drgnfyre wrote: »
    Once a week I will have a day where I want to eat a house full of food, so what I do is i figure out what would be my maintenance calories for my current weight, and I allow myself to eat the extra calories up to maintenance. This way I figure at least I am not "over eating". And it resets me for the rest of the week. I still am loosing weight as fast as I want and I don't feel guilty because I let myself do it. IDK if this would help you, but it works very well for me.

It's so nice to find other people who do this! I've been setting my goals by week and month so I can have one or two maintenance or higher days a week. It makes the loss slower, but (for me at least) keeps life enjoyable.