Impulsive eating

Options
Help I want to eat a whole bag of peppermint parties. What helps you resist those urges?

Replies

• plasticineporters
    plasticineporters Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Go about your day like you're not having the urge - fake it 'till you make it. It works for me. If that makes sense...
  • fiddletime
    fiddletime Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    Eat 4 and log them. That will be enough that you feel good about eating them, but disgusted at all the calories the y cost you.
  • chelllsea124
    chelllsea124 Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I log everything.... I usually end up getting mad at myself
  • curlybombkatt
    curlybombkatt Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Gum helps, brushing my teeth, or drinking water or tea
  • spzjlb
    spzjlb Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Yes. Brush and floss your teeth.
  • GemstoneofHeart
    GemstoneofHeart Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    I agree with others! Log it to see what it does to your day. Remove it when you decide it's too much or edit it to just have a couple.
  • Nbaker0909
    Nbaker0909 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Figure out the calories and what exercise/how long you have to do it to burn off those calories. Go do the exercise first, then enjoy the treat!
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    What you are describing isn't impulsive, but compulsive, eating.

This helps me deal better with compulsive eating:

Eat well, eat enough, eat food I like. Have regular meals and just be a person who doesn't eat outside meals. Brushing teeth after breakfast and dinner acts as a natural "stop" signal.
    Get enough sleep, rest, exercise moderately.
    Stop demonizing things I like.
    Then reduce temptation. Not buy it would be the first, and obvious, line of action.
    I tried to distract myself. Didn't do much of a difference.
    Then cravings got less intense and frequent anyway.
    Now I just tolerate them without acting on them.
    Sometimes I eat outside plan, but I aim to do it only when my weight is approaching the low end, not do it too often, preferably out of the house, and eat because I want the taste of it, not just to stop the nagging.
  • VirtualMellie
    VirtualMellie Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I second brushing your teeth. Also I will down a bottle of water, or some slightly warm water to stop food cravings. And sometimes cleaning or doing some productive helps as well
  • JMinney7
    JMinney7 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    There are times I want to binge like this. I pour a glass of water and drink a little first, then I measure out a portion and cut that in half. I take the half portion to another room and eat it as slowly as possible. If it's chocolate, I let it melt in my mouth... When I'm finished, I log the calories. Then I brush my teeth.
    I tell myself that I can eat the other half if I really want it, but by then, I don't want to.
    Hope you find something that works for you!
  • Sashslay
    Sashslay Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I gave into eating a slice of cheese while reading this.

Just log it and make it fit your goal for the day!
  • TenderBlender667
    TenderBlender667 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    A cup of cocoa flavored tea helps when I'm craving chocolate especially when I add a dash of unsweetened chocolate almond milk. Comes out at less than 10 calories and is enough to stop the urge to overeat.

• Mojame9
    Mojame9 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I have a pic of craving replacements somewhere. If I find it I'll post on my wall. The main one is dehydration causing hunger or cravings.

Also cravings caused by incessant advertising and marketing creating psychological desires rather than physical hunger.
  • Mojame9
    Mojame9 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    A cup of cocoa flavored tea helps when I'm craving chocolate especially when I add a dash of unsweetened chocolate almond milk. Comes out at less than 10 calories and is enough to stop the urge to overeat.

Chocolate Almond Milk! Like it already...