Hello - Exercise Advice

jameswatling
jameswatling Posts: 2 Member
edited August 2017 in Introduce Yourself
Hi, I'm James.

This is my first proper go and dieting and fitness. I've previously just about got by.

31 years young, dad and fiance. My metabolism is slowing, which is a bummer.

Trying to lose 14lb and lose that dad body. Currently I weigh 12 Stone, but to get down to 11 would leave me feeling a whole lot better. With the kids, it's tough to get exercise in and whilst I am really limiting my calorie intake, I fear that the diet won't be enough on it's own.

Any suggestions on short, 1-1.5 hour exercise's that I can do in the evening, whilst not leaving my fiancée on her own with the kids? I used to love cycling, but I'm not sure that it's fair to do that.

James

Replies

• StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    edited August 2017
    My metabolism is slowing, which is a bummer.

It's probably not (unless you've lost a significant chunk of muscle), metabolism doesn't really slow down with age but rather as we age we lead a more sedentary lifestyle and therefore lose lean body mass.

Currently I weigh 12 Stone, but to get down to 11 would leave me feeling a whole lot better.

What is your height? 12 stone is not very heavy - is a 1 stone (14lb) loss realistic?

Any suggestions on short, 1-1.5 hour exercise's that I can do in the evening, whilst not leaving my fiancée on her own with the kids? I used to love cycling, but I'm not sure that it's fair to do that.

When dieting down, strength training will help you retain as much muscle/Lean body mass as possible, so I would recommend some form of strength work. You can work out form home with virtually zero equipment by following a program such as Mark Lauren's You Are Your Own Gym (there is a book and an app). Another that I hear good stuff about, but have no direct experience with is the Convict Conditioning book and program.

The good news is that for You Are Your Won Gym you 'll be doing 4 work outs a week lasting about 45 mins each.