longing for foods that will really use up those sugar and carbs

Options
I am basically doing pretty well eating healthier and sticking within my calorie intake. I also have more energy and almost never hungry. But-I really miss candy bars, donuts, etc. I wonder how other people deal with this.

Replies

• Boxn_n_Bellydancn
    Boxn_n_Bellydancn Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I love the Atkins "m&m's", gives me that bit of chocolate I crave.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    I eat cookies and candy as long as they fit my calorie goals. I like to exercise, so I always have the calories.

This :)
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,699 Member
    Options
    I am basically doing pretty well eating healthier and sticking within my calorie intake. I also have more energy and almost never hungry. But-I really miss candy bars, donuts, etc. I wonder how other people deal with this.
    I eat them and account for them. Weight loss/gain/maintenance is about CICO. Eat within your calorie restriction and you can eat whatever you want. Just make sure to meet your macro/micro needs and if you have calories left over, have at.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I don't eat a lot of sweets, but I don't miss them, because I'll eat anything I want, something is just eaten occasionally. This could never have happened while still demonizing certain nutrients, food groups or foods. So because my diet now is extremely tasty and delicious, I prefer to eat my everyday food most days. I also reduce temptation by shopping purposefully and not bringing any "trigger" foods home.
  • rocknlotsofrolls
    rocknlotsofrolls Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    I usually eat a 150 calorie pack of chips with my sandwich at lunch. You can still eat the cake, but just a small slice, as long as you don't blow your calorie limit. My best advice is for you to experiment with calories. Find out how you can fit a candy bar into your diet. Everyone is different, as to which strategy to use, but the common denominator is CICO. Good luck!
  • LenGray
    LenGray Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    I eat lots of fruit, yogurt, sweet vegetables, trail mix with chocolate pieces, and homemade low-sugar treats. In particular, looking up recipes for diabetes-friendly desserts have given me an awesome stockpile of lower-calorie foods that contain fruits and veggies while still being indulgent.

I also make room for treats in my food diary if I feel like it, whether that's ice cream or rice pudding or a piece of candy. As long as it fits my calorie goal and is a part of a balanced diet, I'm good :)
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    i eat them in portion sizes that fit my calories and macros.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    When it comes to sweets my sense of a portion has been cut by half. Look up the calories on a single hard candy, and consider how long it takes to finish it if you don't crunch down.

Now compare that to how many apples you would consume while craving that single candy.
  • Old_Cat_Lady
    Old_Cat_Lady Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    Fun size chocolates. Dollar market seems to have good prices vs. wallymart. About 50 calories each.
  • JuliaBurke1
    JuliaBurke1 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the good advice.