Protein powder

Options
What is the best protein powder for weight loss?

Replies

• ashlee_tx
    ashlee_tx Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    The best tasting protein power that I have tried is Cellucor Products. The cinnamon swirl is AMAZING!!! It taste just like cinnamon toast crunch cereal.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    ↑ ditto.

Note that some (or many) of the flavoured protein powders have so much carbs & fat along with the protein, that you aren't necessarily saving calories over getting it from food sources. Fish and lowfat cottage cheese, for instance, have more grams protein per calorie than most protein powders on the market. (It will store better in your car/office, however, which does add much convenience).
  • artbyrachelh
    artbyrachelh Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Love this thread. I've been wanting to post about protein powder. My main issue is that what I consider good sources of protein make me go way over my fat limit. Yikes! I had no idea. So only a week ago I began trying a tiny protein powder supplement right before my workout and then another one right after. Those are the days I feel best and I have no problem hitting my protein goal, and staying under my fat limit!
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    Love this thread. I've been wanting to post about protein powder. My main issue is that what I consider good sources of protein make me go way over my fat limit. Yikes! I had no idea. So only a week ago I began trying a tiny protein powder supplement right before my workout and then another one right after. Those are the days I feel best and I have no problem hitting my protein goal, and staying under my fat limit!

What do you consider good sources of protein?
  • ritzvin
    Options

What do you consider good sources of protein?

And what do you consider too much fat?
  • artbyrachelh
    Options
    Well, last week I put chicken breast and salsa only in slow cooker, had a serving for dinner (no taco shell, just meat with lettuce on top) and after I added that to my log, the app notified me that I exceeded my fat goal, and I still didn't hit my protein goal. I try to eat protein with every meal. Almond butter with banana or eggs for breakfast, Greek yogurt and string cheese or turkey with my lunch, etc. I NEVER hit my protein goal unless I use protein powder.
  • artbyrachelh
    Options
    ny3te5zo8xxd.png
    Most my days look like this
  • ritzvin
    Options
    Well, last week I put chicken breast and salsa only in slow cooker, had a serving for dinner (no taco shell, just meat with lettuce on top) and after I added that to my log, the app notified me that I exceeded my fat goal, and I still didn't hit my protein goal. I try to eat protein with every meal. Almond butter with banana or eggs for breakfast, Greek yogurt and string cheese or turkey with my lunch, etc. I NEVER hit my protein goal unless I use protein powder.

Ignore the MFP fat warning..it isn't really a recommended upper limit on fat intake. Their recommended protein estimate is a bit low, however, compared to a lot of other recommendation equations. I have both set to a recommended minimum and make sure I get at least that much or more. Note that nut butters are more fat than protein. Whole eggs are close to 50/50.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    I don't know. but I do know that the kind with sugar is much more fattening. get the plain or unflavored.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    Options
    I don't know. but I do know that the kind with sugar is much more fattening. get the plain or unflavored.

Something is only fattening if eating it puts you in a calorie surplus. There are many, many, many flavoured protein powders with little to no carb/sugar and fat. A WPI is a great start.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    Options

Unless your salsa had fat, or your chicken breast had skin, I'd say you're using incorrect entries.

As already pointed out, nut butter isn't a protein source, use low fat dairy, and increase protein when you eat eggs by using extra whites (I use 1-2 whole eggs with more whites, often 4 extra.)
    There are plenty of lean meats, fish/seafood and lower fat plant based options.

If you only managed 12% protein, I'd work on increasing that by planning your meals for a whole day, starting each meal with a protein source.
  • artbyrachelh
    Options
    Excellent suggestions!!!! Thank you! (No wonder I love nut butters so much!!!)