Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

When Will Insurance Companies Discount Healthy Lifestyles

Options
2»

Replies

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Insurance companies don't give a crap as long as the bottom line is profit. So I'm thinking never because it cuts into their profit.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

But wouldn't having more healthy people* on the plan be likely to increase profits?

*I know healthy habits don't guarantee healthy people, but in a large population it is likely to make a difference.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    Insurance companies don't give a crap as long as the bottom line is profit. So I'm thinking never because it cuts into their profit.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

But wouldn't having more healthy people* on the plan be likely to increase profits?

*I know healthy habits don't guarantee healthy people, but in a large population it is likely to make a difference.

It would most likely take years for the impact of any incentives to be felt in the insurer's payout rates. The are concerned about the bottom line this quarter.
  • OliveGirl128
    OliveGirl128 Posts: 801 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    So those with type II diabetes, high blood pressure, high BMI, high cholesterol, smokers will pay a heap of a lot more. But how much more?

Our insurance already penalizes and off the top of my head I believe it's like an extra $500 a year in premiums or something along those lines. You're also penalized if you opt out of doing the mandatory biometric/smoking screening in the fall during open enrollment-that's a bigger fine, I think around $1,000 per person, (so if you and your spouse are both smokers you get hit with an extra $2,000 etc. They also offer all sorts of help to improve your numbers/quit smoking but I don't know what the the participation or success rates are for those programs).
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Yes, you would think.

Also, if it encourages people on the plan to make changes that minimize risk, that would be good for the insurance company.
  • richardgavel
    richardgavel Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

I agree about the profit motive. The real issue however is that unlike other types of insurance, health insurance is not driven by competition among consumers. Medicaid, Medicare, employer, VA, all health insurance that is group driven and that's probably 90% of the market.

You want to see a big shift in insurance? Give the same tax benefit to individual insurance as employees have and have employees instead provide cash or a voucher instead of a group plan.
  • lalepepper
    lalepepper Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    I earned back about $400 for engaging in healthy behaviors thru my insurance's incentive plan. Not sure if we'll ever seen an actual lowering in premiums for healthy lifestyles because that can change so quickly and they are so profit driven. Most people have very little choice in insurance.
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    Options
    My insurance company stated offering $20 rebates for attending a fitness center years ago. If course, they raised the rates on everyone by $20/ month at the same time. Interestingly, the Y also raised rates by $20/month at the same time. So regardless of whether you went to the gym or not, you got no real benefit and you pay more on premium. Pretty slick scam.
  • Old_Cat_Lady
    Old_Cat_Lady Posts: 1,193 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Many companies are self-insured. That means that they could discriminate in order to save money. An HR manager could look at a person and say "hmmm, the insurance is going to charge us more for this person". Or not give us a discount.

It's already hard enough for big people to get jobs.

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Are you concerned about something happening different than it does now? I'm not really following.
  • Old_Cat_Lady
    Old_Cat_Lady Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    You're right. Employers already see big people as "more expensive". nm.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Right now I don't think there is any agreement on how one would define "healthy" in a way that is consistent, meaningful, and cost-effective.

The exception might be tobacco use, for which the negative health consequences are clear and the testing is fairly simple (mouth swab).
  • OliveGirl128
    OliveGirl128 Posts: 801 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Many companies are self-insured. That means that they could discriminate in order to save money. An HR manager could look at a person and say "hmmm, the insurance is going to charge us more for this person". Or not give us a discount.

It's already hard enough for big people to get jobs.

My husband works for a global company and doesn't even have a 'real' HR person in our state-it's all done online/phone, and then all of the insurance stuff is done through a third party. So there's no chance of discrimination. They do go by hard data though-mandatory biometric screening every fall. So if someone's health markers are 'bad' (cholesterol >240/HDL<35; BP>140/90), or their bmi is high ( >35), or if they're a smoker, then there's penalties attached to their health insurance. It's all pretty straight forward/streamlined.

edit: to include numbers, from biometric screening flyer we got in mail today
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    Options
    Mine already does. They offer up to $500 per year (as a gift card - I did Amazon) by earning points through various things, like using their app or having a yearly physical. I always aim for my $500 :)
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,031 Member
    Options
    When will this apply to us older healthy people? I am super healthy, I exercise, all my numbers fall where they should. In the low percentage of my healthy BMI. No smoking, no drinking, no risky sports, no trips to the doctor except for a yearly screening. I still fall in the really-expensive category just because I'm older.

My family all died sort of one-day-fine-next-day-dead type thing. None of them were a burden on the health care or insurance system.

I should get a rebate. There are many people 20 years younger who use many more insurance dollars.

I don't have the answer. :neutral:
  • TCNutritionhealthworks
    TCNutritionhealthworks Posts: 2 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I work with a team of dietitians, CHECK YOUR INSURANCE for "Preventative Wellness Benefits on Nutrition Counseling." You may be already paying for it because of the requirements of the ACA. Majority of our clients in NC have 100% coverage with no copay- $0. Yes....$0 to come and see us for nutrition counseling! We can practice using telehealth if interested and have BCBS :)
  • fbchick51
    fbchick51 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    With HealthKit and the android equivalent out there, when do you think an insurance company will start discounting health plans for individuals who pair HealthKit to their insurance app and maintain a healthy lifestyle. Car insurance companies do something similar by giving you a device to plug into your car to measure safe driving.

Many insurance companies are already creating and testing different styles of "healthy living" programs. Currently, the one I work for offers an incentive program similar to what others have described above. Ours gives points for getting health screenings and points for having good results from said screening (BMI, Waist measurement, cholesterol levels, glucose and triglyceride levels). They also award points for steps taken per day, points for showing up at your gym, for maintaining a foodlog (They are linked to MFP for this), playing on a sports team, competing in physical competitions, for weekly weigh-ins, for participating in Health related training courses, etc

Just last year, it became a requirement for employees of said company to participate in said program. At a minimum, we are required to get a yearly health screening and to take a yearly health survey. Refusal to participates results in a $5 per week surcharge. They also have surcharges for smoking, but participation in an approved cessation program eliminates it. They also have counseling programs for weightloss as well which are free for

They've also partnered up with a couple diabetic prevention program. Currently testing it out with employees, but those whose health screenings point to per-diabetic conditions are offered free enrollment. There is conversations over adding a surcharge for those who refuse to participate once identified, but they haven't settled on who to partner with yet, so that's likely several years away.

Pretty much all the major health insurance companies have or are creating similar systems. Some are fully contracting out the services to third party vendors. Some, like us are combining an internally designed system that integrates with many of the popular health tools already on the market. But a couple are playing around with designing from the ground up.

I know AppleHealth is listed as one of our partnerships, but I don't know the extent, as I'm not an apple or Iphone user in any way.
  • GemstoneofHeart
    GemstoneofHeart Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    My workplace has a discount program for many things. If you do a step challenge you get one, if you submit biometrics you get a really good one! There are a couple others but I can't remember them.
    They also have the surcharge penalties too like use of tobacco. I think our medical is about $600 more per year if you are a tobacco user.