Needs to lose weight before doctors will do surgery

Options
I am just starting out and I am currently 489lbs and have a large number of health issues most of what have nothing to do with my weight . I have around 88 tumors though out my body, before the doctors can do surgry on me I need to lose 200+lbs as quickly and safely as possible.

Replies

• gearhead426hemi
    gearhead426hemi Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    Just start out slow and easy. Walking would be the best way to start. You can also get some bands that you can do exercises even from a chair. Best of luck!
  • bigjonb4116
    bigjonb4116 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    hi there, along with the walking as has been suggested, cut out any take away type foods, cut out soda crisps chocolate, and one of the first things i stopped eating altogeter was bread. i reduced my calorie intake to about 1800 cals a day too, MFP is good if you log all you eat as its suprising how easy and quickly the calories add up. i've lost 140lb in 18 months, (and started off at 456lbs).
    good luck, it seems daunting but it can be done, :)
  • billygunn31
    billygunn31 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    skymningen wrote: »
    Paired with health issues and the fact that you still want to lose quickly this is something that your doctors have to supervise, together with a dietician. There is no completely safe tip an internet forum can give you based on the information you gave us and the little we know hints that you need to do this under close medical supervision only.

Medical supervision would be the best choice but it don't seem to be one the doctors seem to want to do. If you not on your death bed around where i live doctors won't do much.
  • Old_Cat_Lady
    Old_Cat_Lady Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    Many insurance companies will pay for a nutritionist for patients like you. Call the insurance.
    Whatever you do, do not take diet pills. If diet pills worked, everyone would be skinny. And many reports out there on how people have had heart problems.
    I'm on the DASH diet if you want to give it a shot. The DASH diet eating plan is a diet rich in fruits, vegetables, low fat or nonfat dairy. It also includes mostly whole grains; lean meats, fish and poultry; nuts and beans. It is high fiber and low to moderate in fat. It is a plan that follows US guidelines for sodium content, along with vitamins and minerals.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,107 Member
    Options
    Speak to your doctors and your insurance company to find out a healthy safe rate of loss under their supervision. In the meantime, set up your account honestly and log your current intake for a few days so that you have some data to work with, once you figure out the rate you should be losing at with medical supervision you will be able to see what you need to cut out/switch/reduce to get you to the deficit you require.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I can think of a couple quick and safe ways to lose weight for a 400+ lb person.
    - Go on a liquid diet for a few weeks to the number of calories MFP gives you. Soylent is nutritionally complete. Or you may try Optifast. You will need to be under supervision because you can get dizzy and weak on this diet. Don't pair a liquid diet with a fitness regime. After a few weeks, start eating real food within the MFP guidelines.
    - Get a referral for bariatric surgery.
  • billygunn31
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    I can think of a couple quick and safe ways to lose weight for a 400+ lb person.
    - Go on a liquid diet for a few weeks to the number of calories MFP gives you. Soylent is nutritionally complete. Or you may try Optifast. You will need to be under supervision because you can get dizzy and weak on this diet. Don't pair a liquid diet with a fitness regime. After a few weeks, start eating real food within the MFP guidelines.
    - Get a referral for bariatric surgery.

I have been seen by a bariatric surgin but i am not a candidate because of the tumors.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Well, then your options become brilliantly simple.

You don't HAVE to do a liquid diet. Following MFP will do this as well but not as fast.
  • foosyerdaddy69
    foosyerdaddy69 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I had the surgery...was on liquid diet only for 2 weeks before it...lost 30lbs
  • skymningen
    skymningen Posts: 532 Member
    Options
    If multiple tumours are not serious enough for your doctors to care about helping you get fit for surgery, then the only thing I can honestly advice you to do is relocate or at the very least find other doctors. Fast. Because your health depends on it.
  • billygunn31
    Options
    skymningen wrote: »
    If multiple tumours are not serious enough for your doctors to care about helping you get fit for surgery, then the only thing I can honestly advice you to do is relocate or at the very least find other doctors. Fast. Because your health depends on it.

If relocation was a opinion i totally would but with all my health issues moving really right now is not in the cards I'm hoping soon it will be because I'm just getting the run around with the doctors
  • VikingsGirl33
    VikingsGirl33 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi billygunn31.

I'm not sure if this will be of any help or not, but just in case it might, I'm leaving this reply.

I started using MFP almost a year ago when I started on the path to Gastric Bypass. I started out at 550lbs. The nutritionist had me stick to 1900 calories of which 35% was protein, 35% fat and 30% carbs. I chose to cut out breads, pasta, rice, cereal, soda, pastries, donuts. I would have an occasional piece of chocolate or a small piece of cake for special occasions, but I would be sure to count it all in my food diary. I used Pinterest to research recipes and tried new ways of making things. I started every morning out with a low carb/ high protein shake. I'm low income and was actually able to use food stamps/EBT to buy the powder I used. (If it says nutrition information and NOT supplement information on the label, food stamps will cover it).

I stuck to this as closely as I could, I admit I had a few slips here and there, but within 8 months I had lost 80lbs. That still with very minimal exercise.

If you make yourself a plan and stick to it, you can do this too!! Joining Bariatric Groups on FB is also super helpful. Lots of information, help and encouragement there.

I wish you strength and luck to start this journey while your Doctors sit back and twiddle their thumbs. Maybe they will see how serious you are and things will turn around or maybe like someone else posted, you can find a different doc.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    You can safely lose around 4 pounds per week at your current weight, I think that is pretty fast. Try to stick to a weekly weight loss rate of around 1% of your total body weight. Make sure you eat well, and you'll be losing excess fat safely, fast, healthily and quite easily. If you don't know what eating well means, ask.