questions concerning calories metabolism and protein

Options
anelahm
anelahm Posts: 237 Member
i have some questions:

1) i am pretty sedentary, most activity i get is from work which has me on my feet for hours at a time. is 1200 calories a day too low for maintenance? what number should i be looking at?

2) is it possible my metabolism has speed up simply by eating every 2 hours 6 (sometimes 7) times a day for the past couple months even though im not active? i feel my self feeling hungrier and hungrier and wanting more food, but i dont want to take in more calories, but at the same time i dont want to starve myself.

3) ive heard mixed things about protein. ive heard it gets stored as fat if its not used. i also heard if its not used it does not get stored and comes out in your urine o_O im confused. what happens to protein that isnt used?

Replies

• mmpedroza
    mmpedroza Posts: 6
    Options
    1) Depending on what your weight and height is, you may be burning those calories just being sedentary. If you're consistently hungry or feel like you're not getting enough food, up that to 1600 calories or so.

2) Metabolism can ramp up if you eat many small meals per day as opposed to 2 or 3 heavy meals. Eating small meals every 3-4 hours makes your body realize that food is in abundance and it will be less likely to store extra calories. Eating large meals causes your body to store extra fat just in case food is scarce. Make sure that your small meals are healthy, such as a piece of fruit or a bowl of whole grain, low-in-sugar cereal with skim milk. Also, make sure to exercise and eat those calories you burn while exercising during the day.

3) Protein builds up muscle fibers that get destroyed when the muscle works. If you lead an active lifestyle, such as running or weight lifting, protein can go a long way to building muscle mass. If you aren't exercising or remain sedentary for long periods of time, protein can be stored as fat. Also, muscle that you build can also revert to fat. Just think of Arnold Schwarzenegger.
  • CaptainMFP
    CaptainMFP Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    I'll take the protein question for you. Protein is composed of subunits called amino acids. If you've heard of enzymes -- which our cells use to survive -- these are a type of protein that our cells make. These and other proteins made and used by our cells are built from amino acids in the proteins we eat. Muscle tissue, for example, is packed with several large proteins (with names like actin, myosin, dystrophin, and tropomosin just to name four). Our red blood cells contain a large protein you may have heard of called hemoglobin which is used to carry oxygen around our bodies. A large amount of our dietary protein is NOT used for energy but rather is used by cells to build other proteins that we need.

When protein is used as an energy source by our cells, an amino group (this is a term from biochemistry) has to be removed from each amino acid being broken down for energy. This produces toxic waste in the form of substances like ammonia (highly nasty stuff which can be converted to less toxic urea which is released from the body in sweat (to a lesser degree) and urine (to a greater degree).

Bottom line is that it is hard to over-consume protein, even if you are relatively sedentary in your lifestyle. Full blown protein should really never end up in the urine (for reasons that are too complicated for this post...really the two worst things to see in large amounts in your urine are protein and blood cells because this indicates a serious kidney malfunction...) but when protein is used as an energy source extra nitrogenous waste (i.e. urea) ends up in your urine. Since dietary protein is so important for building other proteins in our cells, there is minimal chance of excess protein being converted to fat. (Carbs are a different story, but only when consumed to excess...and carbohydrates in the form of the simplest sugars start and fuel basic cellular metabolism, so cutting too much carbohydrates out of your diet prevents cells from effectively breaking down fats and forces the burning of proteins for fuel. Fats are used to store energy, as a source of energy, and like proteins are used by cells to build a host of important structures, including our cellular membranes and various signal molecules.)

This is probably a longer and more technical answer than you were looking for, but I teach anatomy, physiology, and cell biology to nursing and other students so I think it's important to be as accurate as possible in covering this.

Simple summary answer now: Hard to eat too much protein; protein is not going to be converted to fat or end up directly in the urine but when used excessively for energy contributes to production of toxic substances in our cells which end up in the urine. Real bottom line: of proteins, carbs, and fats, don't cut too much of any one out of your diet; your cells need all three!
  • anelahm
    anelahm Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    thanks guys. very very helpful. also. everyday i go over my carbs proteins (15g over...do you think mfp sets it too low?) sugars and fiber (but im also over in vitamins too). most sugars are from fruit though. and carbs are from whole grains n such. but i stay under my calories. is that not good going over? am i gonna gain weight if i keep this up? because i know what you eat matters, and i dont think a calorie isnt just a calorie. im eating right. im just skeptical about eating more calories and pilling up those numbers in the red zone.