Matcha or garcinia cambogia purely simple?

Options
I've gotten back on my fitness horse. I've been making sure to watch what I eat and definitely log when I can and reaching my steps. I've been slowly losing! I've was wondering if anyone has tried these products? I just want a little extra kick.

Replies

• TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    They're useless, although matcha (green tea) tastes good, IMO.
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Here you go, OP:

Garcinia cambogia: https://examine.com/supplements/garcinia-cambogia/
    Studies in humans, for the most part, fail to replicate this; this may be related to less actual activity of de novo lipogenesis in humans and a much higher level in rats. Some isolated studies do note weight loss, but it appears to be quite variable and unreliable. Many studies also do report subjective appetite decrease, but tend to record dropout rates (how often people leave the study due to being unable to maintain the diet protocol) rather than food intake; even then the benefits are still unreliable and sometimes not present.

Green tea: https://examine.com/supplements/green-tea-catechins/
    The benefits of green tea catechins on lipid oxidation and related fat-burning pathways are achieved in a dose dependent manner. Significant effects in humans are noted only at high doses, such as 400-500mg EGCG equivalent per day (most Green Tea Extract supplements are roughly 50% EGCG). Fat burning effects are highly synergistic, almost dependent, on not consuming caffeine habitually.

Article on EGCG content in tea: http://bottomlineinc.com/life/tea/warningyour-green-tea-isnt-what-you-think-it-is
    Lipton Green Tea was the least expensive way to get EGCG due to its low cost (10 cents per bag) and relatively high level of EGCG (71 mg per bag).

So I assuming you get that full 70mg per bag, you'd need to use about 6 bags a day to see any effect.
  • Sashslay
    Sashslay Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Nope!

Unless matcha macaroons in which case yes, delicious, but still won't help you lose weight.
  • SisepuedeLinda
    SisepuedeLinda Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I only tried garcinia for 2 days and it made me feel horrible! But I honestly think what you're doing is good enough :) if you ask anyone who has lost a lot on here (which I've asked over and over because I wasn't convinced lol) they all have the same answer: calorie deficit and counting and exercise so I'm convinced to leave all the fads alone if literally all of them told me the same thing.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    I've gotten back on my fitness horse. I've been making sure to watch what I eat and definitely log when I can and reaching my steps. I've been slowly losing! I've was wondering if anyone has tried these products? I just want a little extra kick.

What is preventing you from logging all the time? I've never seen any success stories for supplements but lots of tips for logging.
  • Cynt214
    Cynt214 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    If you want to see better results then use a food scale, keep yourself hydrated, get adequate sleep/rest, and exercise. Most of all have patience.
  • PinkPupper
    PinkPupper Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I like a midday matcha soy milk tea rather than coffee to curb cravings. Other than that, it won't make you lose weight. Green tea has caffeine which will raise your metabolism just enough to subside hunger pangs.
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,222 Member
    Options
    I just want a little extra kick.

Don't we all...

There aren't any tricks sadly.

Just be patient and consistent and you'll achieve your goals.