Breast Reduction Surgery - Canadians/Canada

Options
Hello, I'm sorry if this is not really the appropriate "group" to post this question.

I have gone to a surgeon to talk about my over-sized breasts, and she told me the wait time is a year and a half. I am wondering how long it took other Canadians from the point of the referral/consultation surgeon appointment to get their breast reduction surgery.

I especially would love to hear people from British Columbia.

I would love to hear your stories, how your surgery went, how you feel, how long you had pain, how long you needed to 'recover', and anything I haven't thought to ask.

Replies

• inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    Options
    My sister in law got one in Ontario but she was pretty obese at the time. She got more obese and they grew as well. Have you much weight to lose?
  • malioumba
    malioumba Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    @fascha

I've already been approved, I'm just asking to learn from experience. =)
  • onward1
    onward1 Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    In for the answers. I'm hoping to have a reduction someday.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Can't speak to breast reduction, but yeah, the wait times in BC for surgeries suck. In my opinion, our medical system is broken. Good that it won't make you broke, but bad that the wait times are so long.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    Can't speak to breast reduction, but yeah, the wait times in BC for surgeries suck. In my opinion, our medical system is broken. Good that it won't make you broke, but bad that the wait times are so long.

Is this just for elective surgeries or is there a long wait for needed surgeries too?
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »

Is this just for elective surgeries or is there a long wait for needed surgeries too?

Both. I know someone who waited close to a year for her operation, and it wasn't elective.
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Options
    I live in the US so can't speak to the wait time you're experiencing (so sorry about that, too), but I wanted to share that I had breast reduction surgery about 15 years ago and it was one of the best decisions I ever made. It made a huge difference with shoulder, back and neck pain, and let me fully participate in aerobic type activities which I love but had to limit because of the bouncing. I had minimal pain after surgery, although I went home with drains and had to spend about 10 days (I think) mostly flat on my back. Other people who've had the surgery did tell me the pain level for them was higher, but well-controlled through pain meds for the first few days. There is scarring, more or less depending on how the surgery is done. My scars have faded to thin white lines, from the bottom of the nipple to the base of the breast, around the base of each breast, and around each areola (this is the most visible scarring, but still subtle). My surgeon showed me pictures of actual surgery results before I made my decision so I was well prepared for how it would look. Hope this helps!
  • 150poundsofme
    150poundsofme Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    In US, I believe it costs roughly $10,000.
    MPH323, Someone close to me may be having it done soon. How long was your recovery time? And able to go back to work? Another friend is having a double mascectomy, I know, totally different but she was told she can't drive, be in a car and basically she can't move for 6 weeks. Also was told she would not have much use of her arms. Did you encounter this with your breast reduction? When were you able to start exercising?
    Sorry to add questions to your original post maliuomba
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,484 Member
    Options
    @tacklewasher what happened!
    You went from a shaggy dog of a guy to one studly dude.
    Great progress, well done. B)

Sorry for the detour, h.
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Options
    In US, I believe it costs roughly $10,000.
    MPH323, Someone close to me may be having it done soon. How long was your recovery time? And able to go back to work? Another friend is having a double mascectomy, I know, totally different but she was told she can't drive, be in a car and basically she can't move for 6 weeks. Also was told she would not have much use of her arms. Did you encounter this with your breast reduction? When were you able to start exercising?
    Sorry to add questions to your original post maliuomba

Oh I'm happy to talk about it! I was able to go back to work in about 3 weeks I think - time to get rid of the drains and for some of the swelling to go down. A mastectomy is a very different surgery (and I'm very sorry for your friend). A breast reduction removes a limited amount of breast tissue (in my case from the under part), without impacting any surrounding muscle or nerves (nerves in the breast can be affected, and it's not uncommon for some sensation to be lost). Mastectomies are a whole different matter. They remove not only the entire breast but some muscle as well, and lymph nodes from under the armpit and possibly elsewhere. I understand it's quite painful and yes can lead to permanent damage depending on how much muscle has to be removed and how much nerve damage there is. I know there are many women on these boards who have gone through the surgery and recovery, and would be able to share their experience in a lot more detail. I sincerely hope your friend makes a full recovery.
  • 150poundsofme
    150poundsofme Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    Thank you!
  • SafioraLinnea
    SafioraLinnea Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    15 years ago my aunt in BC had a reduction down to a DD (from like G or something along those lines) and she says it was one of the best choices she ever made. I know she waited 1.5-2 years for hers but she didn't care.
  • mom22dogs
    mom22dogs Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    I had breast reduction and was back to work 3 days later and no pain. I had drains in for about 24 hours. The worst part was when the scars started to heal they got really itchy, and I had to wear a really tight bra 24/7 for probably 6 weeks. The surgery was no big deal for me. Everyone is different.
  • malioumba
    Options
    15 years ago my aunt in BC had a reduction down to a DD (from like G or something along those lines) and she says it was one of the best choices she ever made. I know she waited 1.5-2 years for hers but she didn't care.

I don't doubt it will be one of the best decisions I ever made. I'm not debating whether to do it or not, rather I"m just seeking information about the wait times people had to wait. =)
  • JessicaMcB
    JessicaMcB Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    Alberta here. The only person I know who consulted for it was actually told she would be responsible for 50% of the cost (which confused the eff out of me because I thought reduction was covered, just augmentation wasn't? I've been corrected on this a few times by other Albertan's now though so idk) and the wait would be a year. She ended up deciding to stay surgery
  • amarneu
    amarneu Posts: 164 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    I'll be getting my reduction in Northern Ontario and only a couple months wait time here. I'll gladly wait for the surgery and have it be free than have to jump through the hoops needed with insurance companies in the us! If you have the option to travel check around with other surgeons in bc to check their wait times and ask for another referral to be sent there from your dr.
  • debisjazz
    debisjazz Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I am in Ontario, had a reduction 21 years ago, at the age of 20. Can't speak to the wait times or current situation, but I could answer questions about the surgery itself, recovery, what its been like "after".
    It was a hell of a recovery, but best thing I ever did!!! Physical health, mental health, self esteem all got HUGE boosts because of the surgery.
  • malioumba
    edited August 2017
    Options
    debisjazz wrote: »
    I am in Ontario, had a reduction 21 years ago, at the age of 20. Can't speak to the wait times or current situation, but I could answer questions about the surgery itself, recovery, what its been like "after".
    It was a hell of a recovery, but best thing I ever did!!! Physical health, mental health, self esteem all got HUGE boosts because of the surgery.

Sure - I'd love to know how much they removed - what is your bra size before/after, and how much pain you were in after the surgery.

Also, what sort of 'caution' did the doctors give you?