The "Cleaning" entry under Exercises

Options
13»

Replies

• HeliumIsNoble
    HeliumIsNoble Posts: 1,213 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Long post... a basic TLDR is, how do you feel about the Cleaning exercise entry?

I do all of the cleaning in our apartment because my boyfriend takes hours to clean anything and complains throughout. But I noticed, in the Exercises category, that there is a Cleaning / Tidying entry for calisthenics.

That seems pretty broad given how diverse cleaning tasks can be. Washing dishes and folding / putting away laundry may seem similar but they really only require concentration. Moving boxes, vacuuming or mopping, and cleaning surfaces like windows, counters, and the shower... could not be more different in their demands. I think I expend a bit more scrubbing the toilet than I do putting books away, lol.

I guess I'm just really mystified that its allowed in the database. What is your take on this? How is such an odd concept as a set amount of calories burned by ~cleaning~ even calculated in the Calisthenics category?

And I'll add, it's really attractive for lazy me. I used the entry as a sort of hurrah when we moved in a couple weeks ago to congratulate myself on effort spent, adding I think 1/3 of the time I really cleaned under the "minutes" section because I know all exercise entries are very inaccurate. But after a lot of contemplation (and more cleaning...) I personally just think it's wrong. I think it should be deleted.
    Just noticed this.

So, on a thread where we discuss what constitutes basic adulting and what you should log, we have a bloke who uses whinging and taking ages over tasks to get out of adulting. Ironic.

I have a son who tries that method. He's eight years old though, and I am confident he will learn to clear up after himself automatically in the next ten years. I certainly won't be going round to clear up after him when he leaves home, and I will be very disappointed in him if he cons a girlfriend into doing it.

I know this isn't a relationship thread, but just, have a think about it. And don't focus on reproaching yourself for logging doing all the cleaning for two people's mess.

I was thinking the same...is her bf 10 years old?

You both must come from one of those generations where young people did chores. My husband grew up rich and spoiled and it is absolutely easier if I just do the cleaning. Though, I do think the workload needs to balance out or somebody is going to end up resentful. I hope the BF is doing all the cooking or taking care of more of the bills to make up for all the extra work the OP is putting in.
    Not exactly. I did far more than other kids my age at the time, because my mother was a single parent, and only had the standard 168 hours in a week. I didn't particularly mind at the time, because I'd been brought up to see that making the place a tip and refusing to lift a finger was selfish. When I moved out and shared with other 18-25s who hadn't been brought up the same way, I became grovelling grateful that I'd been brought up to gradually become more and more independent and capable. Ye gods, the memories...

Started renting a place of my own, acquired a serious boyfriend from a richer background, who had been the youngest, and... well...yeah. There were problems. It came naturally to me to do every fricking thing, and it came naturally to him to leave it to me. But we ironed that out, and he's now more determined than I am to make sure our sons grow up to be able to adult.
  • zannatagged
    zannatagged Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    But It is there, and for people with disabilities who use this application and are having to do some of the more difficult housecleaning on their own they may choose to use it. Probably not for doing dishes etc., however it's wise to not assume that every single person in the community has the full scope of range and ability that you might. ;)

The other thing I found out is there are members here using the app for medical reasons to export reports back to their doctor on more than just food or weight, so it's more than likely the comments here that read negative.... are a tad micro minded ... meaning unable to see a larger picture lol.

It is true if your trying to kill fat you shouldn't be trying to get some calories to eat back by logging dishwashing for 20 minutes. ;)

Have a fantastic and blessed week!!!!
    Mwas

( topic not starred for a return view, box not ticked for notify me if mentioned. Just FYI lol)
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    You both must come from one of those generations where young people did chores. My husband grew up rich and spoiled and it is absolutely easier if I just do the cleaning. Though, I do think the workload needs to balance out or somebody is going to end up resentful. I hope the BF is doing all the cooking or taking care of more of the bills to make up for all the extra work the OP is putting in.
    Not exactly. I did far more than other kids my age at the time, because my mother was a single parent, and only had the standard 168 hours in a week. I didn't particularly mind at the time, because I'd been brought up to see that making the place a tip and refusing to lift a finger was selfish. When I moved out and shared with other 18-25s who hadn't been brought up the same way, I became grovelling grateful that I'd been brought up to gradually become more and more independent and capable. Ye gods, the memories...

Started renting a place of my own, acquired a serious boyfriend from a richer background, who had been the youngest, and... well...yeah. There were problems. It came naturally to me to do every fricking thing, and it came naturally to him to leave it to me. But we ironed that out, and he's now more determined than I am to make sure our sons grow up to be able to adult.

Yes. As much or more a social class thing than generational. From a single parent household as well, so I got used to fending for myself (which, if I wanted clean clothes, included either dragging my own laundry to the laundromat back before dollar stores with rolling luggage were commonplace, or washing it in the bath tub) - when I went off to college, I was surprised at how many spoiled brats didn't even know how to do their own laundry (where actual washers and dryers were supplied in the same building) or cook or do pretty much anything for themselves.
  • Penthesilea514
    Penthesilea514 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    I log it occasionally when it is an extreme cleaning endeavor (like moving or spring cleaning) where I am obviously physically tired by the end of the day and is well beyond normal cleaning levels (for me).

Many people don't know how to clean or do laundry or do yard work. To be honest, I did a lot of laundry and cleaning growing up so that stuff is easier for me to do that for some. I had not (not until I had a rental with a yard that is) ever mowed the lawn before (my dad did it growing up) or done extensive yard work, which was hard for me to do while I was learning to do it. Glad that skill set was something my husband had (while completely clueless about laundry SMH) so chores even out. I would say it is hard to judge if that person is a child or just contributes in their own way to the household.
  • peraltapiano
    peraltapiano Posts: 26 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Okay then. The general consensus, which I can understand after seeing the math behind MFP has a pretty correctable error for all Exercise entries, is that the Cleaning entry IS valued highly by some of the people who use MFP.

It would be different, especially for those who are not fully able-bodied/ADA, or who have come to an age where physical activities requiring joints and the spine are especially challenging. Whoever mentioned they work in hospitality/hotel service and so they are cleaning regularly vigorously (assigned to a volume of rooms that they have to clean in a set period of time... did someone say injury) that is also a great reason.

Though that would be something to account for in activity level for a typical joe, if that labor was daily. This community is the first place I have read about HRMs being inaccurate, and I'm not sure how great that must make someone feel on top of being limited in mobility or having to wipe down your AirBnB every week.
  • Skipjack66
    Skipjack66 Posts: 102 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Cleaning I can sorta get, as some people's responses seem quite reasonable - especially the heavy duty "once in a while" jobs. It's the "cooking" entry under cardio that gets me. Like seriously, unless you're lifting and slicing 40 pound fresh durians, why would you log that? And if you're a professional chef, and it really is cardio because you're running, then you'd put it in your activity level as active or very active.

I had someone about a year ago that was logging daily HUGE burns from extended home cooking and cleaning sessions (she was only managing her own home making breakfast lunch and dinners). It was a little counterproductive in my opinion. And for the record, she was not disabled.
  • Grnhouse
    Grnhouse Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    If you feel you want to log it, do it. Ain't gonna hurt nobody ......
  • Rosemary7391
    Rosemary7391 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Lounmoun wrote: »
    I believe I logged cleaning when I cleaned out my basement after it flooded. I don't log what is part of my normal activity level though.

There are lots of exercise choices in the database that might not describe effort very well or make sense. You can log playing a musical instrument or gym, misc for example. You have to make up your own mind what will be useful for you to log.

I don't bother logging my usual housework or flute practice. I mostly log the occasional 2.5 hour rehearsal, since my step counter is on my phone and that isn't usually in my pocket for the duration, and I definitely log the events where "playing the flute" also involves setting up and packing away amplification - speakers are heavy!
  • whosshe
    whosshe Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    I'm a room attendant. 8 hours of sweating, scrubbing, and running around. I don't log the cleaning but my phone app logs my steps.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    Long post... a basic TLDR is, how do you feel about the Cleaning exercise entry?

I do all of the cleaning in our apartment because my boyfriend takes hours to clean anything and complains throughout. But I noticed, in the Exercises category, that there is a Cleaning / Tidying entry for calisthenics.

That seems pretty broad given how diverse cleaning tasks can be. Washing dishes and folding / putting away laundry may seem similar but they really only require concentration. Moving boxes, vacuuming or mopping, and cleaning surfaces like windows, counters, and the shower... could not be more different in their demands. I think I expend a bit more scrubbing the toilet than I do putting books away, lol.

I guess I'm just really mystified that its allowed in the database. What is your take on this? How is such an odd concept as a set amount of calories burned by ~cleaning~ even calculated in the Calisthenics category?

And I'll add, it's really attractive for lazy me. I used the entry as a sort of hurrah when we moved in a couple weeks ago to congratulate myself on effort spent, adding I think 1/3 of the time I really cleaned under the "minutes" section because I know all exercise entries are very inaccurate. But after a lot of contemplation (and more cleaning...) I personally just think it's wrong. I think it should be deleted.

It's not exercise...exercise is something that is done which improves your fitness...but it is possible that it could be a general activity that would go beyond one's activity level setting.

I would say that general everyday cleaning is accounted for in your activity level, even if you're set to sedentary. The only time I would have remotely considered logging cleaning when I logged is when my wife and I do our semi annual detail of the house which pretty much takes an entire day...but I never did...they're one offs and it's not like I'm worried about fueling recovery from cleaning all day. I just figured I owed myself a couple extra beers for the effort...
  • IILikeToMoveItMoveIt
    IILikeToMoveItMoveIt Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    I just imagined one of those circle stickers people have on their car that says cleaning instead of 5.0.
  • janeness1963
    janeness1963 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Should i log my calories burned for cleaning if my job is actually a Commercial and Domestic Cleaner. I usually do 12000 to 15000 steps six days a week I work for four hours mornings then got back to work at night for another four hours its pretty fast cleaning the quicker i get the job done more money I make but I am confused whether to add this in as my exercise because if I do it comes up with a ridiculously high amount of calories burned according to MFP
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    Should i log my calories burned for cleaning if my job is actually a Commercial and Domestic Cleaner. I usually do 12000 to 15000 steps six days a week I work for four hours mornings then got back to work at night for another four hours its pretty fast cleaning the quicker i get the job done more money I make but I am confused whether to add this in as my exercise because if I do it comes up with a ridiculously high amount of calories burned according to MFP

No, change your activity level to active or lightly active instead.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    I would never log housecleaning. Even the “sedentary” MFP setting assumes a basic level of walking and movement. I’ve only added extra calories for chores when we were loading and unloading the moving truck, since that is far more strenuous than my usual activity.
  • tramaine_21
    tramaine_21 Posts: 348 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    sarahthes wrote: »
    Honestly I just wear a fitness tracker and account for it that way.

Same here. I look at my fitness walker and it tells me how much calories I burned while cleaning, and I log it in...Plus, my house is over 3k sq ft, so I think I owe it to me to count it as a workout. To each is own...
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    i think its one of the stupidest things on here.
  • dutchandkiwi
    dutchandkiwi Posts: 1,389 Member
    Options
    Personally I rarely used the cleaning entry. I have made an exception when I cleaned out my sewing corner for instance, which included a lot of beding and sorting and lifting etc.but I only logged half the time I was actually cleaning.
    For regular cleaning I just clock it up as life in general and if it gives me bonus calories then that is fine, Sort of balances out with the odd day of sloppy loggin food is my take on it
  • jfan175
    jfan175 Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    There's also a lot of people who log them and eat back the calories then come here asking why they aren't losing weight or even gaining weight.

This made me chuckle!